Thursday at the Park

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
On our daily walk around the neighborhood, I often run into a know-it-all woman who, some months ago, had adopted a Puggle rescue named Buddy. Buddy has issues -- I think I've talked about him here before. I have always tried to be supportive and helpful when encountering Buddy and his stupid human. The first time we met, she smacked the dog on the snout for barking at my dogs and at that time, many months ago, I said quite simply, "Hitting a dog doesn't teach them anything. Have you considered attending obedience classes with Buddy?" Since then, I have heard about how well he's doing in Petco obedience classes (yay) -- and he really IS improving -- in spite of this woman, I think. His principle problem is -- as she puts it -- "Dog aggression"; which is bullcrap. He's fearful of other dogs and his outbursts are the OUTCOME of her INSISTING that he be within muzzle reach of other dogs. The KINDEST suggestions are met with either, "Oh yeah. That's what his trainer says." OR "I know." (my favorite since she DOESN'T FLIPPING KNOW).

Here's how Thursdays encounter went. Everyone is leashed and we are at the grassy park outside the clubhouse.

Me: (secretly rolling my eyes to myself. Oh crap. Here comes Shyt-For-Brains.) Hey There. Hi Buddy. How are ya?
Lady: "Good" + some small talk about the bad weather, as she brings Buddy as close as possible to my dogs as quickly as possible. He's at the very end of his leash meaning that she is not controlling the meeting. He's now in muzzle reach within seconds and he immediately begins showing teeth and snapping. She swiftly and heavy handedly HITS THE DOG ON THE HEAD.
Me: HEY! Listen, you brought him too close too fast. Just stay back a bit and let him acclimate -- JEEZ! (She steps back a bit) You CANNOT hit your dog like that! He's not learning anything when you do.
Lady: Oh I know. His trainer says...
Me: (infuriated already) Oh sure! Your trainer tells you to SMACK YOUR DOG IN THE HEAD????? REALLY????? Oh yes, I'm CERTAIN that's just exactly what she said....
Lady: (defensively now) Well when you have a dog that's like THIS (she throws an arm in Buddy's direction)...
Me: Listen. If you want to beat your dog Lady, you need to do it in the privacy of your own home.... you cannot and WILL NOT do it in front of me! (I'm yelling now) You aren't teaching that dog A THING BY DOING THAT.
Lady: His trainer...
Me: BULLSHIT. You cannot do that in front of me. I forbid it.
Lady: (stunned; she stands there for a moment) and then says, "Fine. Comon' buddy.", and stomps off with the dog in tow.

Her place is right off the park and we pass by it every single day. I already have an apology prepared for when I do see her again -- and I surely will. I just lost all patience so quickly. I'm not helping her by doing that and more importantly, I'm not helping Buddy. I've thought about writing a note and leaving it on her doorstep -- but I won't do that. SHE was wrong. And I'm not going to apologize for THAT. Maybe next time she's considering reaching out and smackin that dog, she'll think of me going postal out there in the grass? Maybe not. Ugh. I feel bad about not being a good example, right? But COME ON. UGH UGH UGH.

Anyway, that's the story. What would you have done?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
probably hit her on the head for being a dumbass!!! No, seriously, I would have done the same thing you did but I don't know if I could apologize! Hope it goes well and maybe she did learn something

L

Lucy-licious

You got angry because you love all dogs and saw one being treated badly....you pointed out it wont work, she didnt listen. I would have gotten VERY mad too.

I would however be thinking STRONGLY about going seeing the trainer at Petco. I am damn sure they are NOT telling her to discipline him like that.
Maybe they can hep her with some possitive reinforcement tips xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:angry: :cursing: I would have been as infuriated as you were.... not sure I could apologize in anyway either, poor pup hasn't a chance with her

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Like I said, I go by her place every single day and I've not seen her once yet since "the incident". LOL

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Like I said, I go by her place every single day and I've not seen her once yet since "the incident". LOL

That poor baby! For me that ranks right up there with leaving an animal in a hot vehicle free window removal with one of my kids softball bats right there!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Well, this is an instance that I would have minded my own business. There are times to interfere and this may not have been one of those times. I think there is already too much CRAZY in this world and she very well good have bopped you in your eye for the way you spoke to her. So that's why I say this may have been one of those times, to just roll your eyes and walk away.

Also, I think this lady honestly thought that she was reprimanding/correcting Buddy. Not beating him. I think we all know what that difference is. I understand how you lost patience, but if you wanted to help her understand the differences in correction, you could have certainly worded it a little different.

Your apology might not go anywhere, just be prepared for that. I see you're remorseful about it and hopefully she's open.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I would have slapped her for her stupidity. Seems like she really needs a trainer for herself. I get why you got hot under the collar but it doesn't seem like it worked with her.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would have done the same thing. I don't think you have anything to apologize for.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
No apologies necessary, except maybe to Buddy for having such a stupid owner, not that you can change that, but we ALL feel for Buddy. I was with a lady 3 weeks ago who had 2 bully's and she smacked one of them on the nose for pulling too hard. Broke my heart. I didn't say anything and felt guilty all the way home. Next time, I don't keep quiet.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Smacking or hitting any dog over the head accomplishes one thing in my opinion; head shyness. I probably would have said something and tried to correct the method she was using, hard to say when you're not in that very moment. If she was really beating the dog out of anger/frustration than I can see the reaction. If she was doing it because she is totally stupid enough to believe what an idiotic trainer would teach then she had no clue and that's what she believed she was suppose to do. I totally understand where you were coming from though. I think if you feel an apology is in order then by all means give one. Sure, the encounter could have probably been handled much better but what's done is done.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I don't take Amber and Ruby out around others very often, they behave very well but I am just a paranoid nut with them. I have had someone try to correct me while I was disciplining my daughter once in a book store. There was no physical contact but I did raise my voice to her and someone heard me and proceeded to read me the riot act on child rearing. That did not go well for that individual; I may have been understanding if they would have approached me in a calm rational manner but they went postal on me and they definitely were told what they could do. Lol; maybe the next time you see her explain some alternate ways of behavior modification (spray bottle with lemon juice works wonders, even a super soaker works) or suggest a trainer you have used. Either way, not sure I would have handled the situation the way you did but maybe she got the point. Good luck.

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, this is an instance that I would have minded my own business. There are times to interfere and this may not have been one of those times. I think there is already too much CRAZY in this world and she very well good have bopped you in your eye for the way you spoke to her. So that's why I say this may have been one of those times, to just roll your eyes and walk away.

Also, I think this lady honestly thought that she was reprimanding/correcting Buddy. Not beating him. I think we all know what that difference is. I understand how you lost patience, but if you wanted to help her understand the differences in correction, you could have certainly worded it a little different.

Your apology might not go anywhere, just be prepared for that. I see you're remorseful about it and hopefully she's open.

You are wrong. I am not at all remorseful about saying what I said. I would do it again this instant. It's the HOW that I feel a bit bad about. What I am sorry for is the abrupt way I dealt with this idiot of a woman. Having said that, this isn't the first conversation she and I have had about Buddy so I suppose I was just fed up with her ignorance.

Hitting dogs, children or anything is unacceptable. It's not a training tool. It's an act of frustration that undermines the goal of the hitter anyway.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I hope she listens to the trainer. No dog trainer worth a darn would recommend hitting a dog for any reason. Poor little buddy. I hate to see uninformed people with animals or kids.

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
Hmmm....I'm super non-confrontational, so I doubt I would have flewn off the handle on her. I also believe in tough love- although, I never hit my dogs in the face- sometimes on their bums. She obviously took your advice to go and get training, but why in the world is she so ignorant with this poor dog. I have a pit mix that HATES other female dogs, so guess what? She doesn't get to go to the park- it's not fair to her or other dogs, and only jeopardizes all of their safety. It's best that her cranky butt stay at home. I'm not sure that I believe that she is actually going to see a trainer.....

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online