tips on how to be a pack leader?

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
The phrase 'stubborn as a bulldog' can definately be used here!
I have some authority and leadership over Meeko but he likes to push the boundries. He will listen when it suits him and i know i havnt got true pack leadership. I never step down and always follow through with my commands but he likes to do it in his own time after ive told him about 20 times. E.g if he is on the furniture and i tell him down (he knows hes not allowed on there) he will wait until i start walking over to him then quickly scurry down before i get there!!

When walking he still pulls a bit.. We have been doing the stop start technique for a few weeks now and sometimes hes good other times he is terrible at pulling. Especially if he sees children or younger kids he gets so excited and nearly uncontrollable and refuses to listen when i make him sit if theirs children around.

I know i need to be the true pack leader and he needs to respect me more in that role but HOW?

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Ive looked for a non pull harness after reading another thread.. This is what ive found.. Which looks/sounds better in your opinions?

Im currently using a leather harness and chain leash.. Do you think a non pull harness would be more beneficial in training than the leather harness? X

Screenshot_2013-05-31-10-04-20.jpg
Screenshot_2013-05-31-10-04-01.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
True pack leadership involves more than having a well trained dog. Have you read and considered seriously (and perhaps implementing) any of the Cesar Millan books and the philosophies therein?

My dear friend's son recently moved out on his own. He has a months old Pointer puppy that's going with him. As a going away present, I got him the video "The Best of the Dog Whisperer" -- and old title now, really -- but no less impactful (to me anyway). I still like to watch my copy every so often. This son of hers has what I would consider very natural pack leadership skills already and when I gave him the video I told him simply: "This video changed my life." Because it did. It opened my eyes up to the non verbal, energy body language world of building a true relationship with your dog. There was more study after that and I continue to learn every single day. I am fascinated by the simplicity of his philosophies and how they apply in my relationships with humans even!

You really want to be the pack leader at your house? It takes some work but the payoff is incredible. My relationship with my dogs improves every day.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.