Sleeping Arrangement

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble (8 months old) has been crate trained and is in his crate during the day while we are at work and at night when he sleeps. I have started to trust him to remain outside the crate when we are outside of the house doing yard work but not when we leave the home completely. So far he has done great and is sleeping most of the time when I come back in. :clap2: My husband and I agree that we do not want Rumble to sleep in our bed for a number of reasons (safety/sanity/etc.) but my husband also does not want him in our bedroom period because he is such a light sleeper and lets face it...Rumble is a loud snorer! He currently sleeps in his crate in the living room with a radio on and we are in our bedroom with the door closed and tv on and we can still hear Rumble snore. :p So my question is, what would be the best sleeping arrangement to try to give him some freedom? Would it be ok to just allow him to stay out of his crate on a blanket or his bed? Is he still too young to be trusted with this? Should I feel guilty about keeping him in his crate at night? Sometimes I can be such a worry wart when it comes to my baby...:blink:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Tiffany, I've honestly considered sending Rocky off for a sleep study, my only problem is he would eat the mask!! I know he has to have sleep apnea, the way he snores…. but after he pawed his doggles off and chewed at them, Lets face it, that mask ain't got a chance, and the nasal strips would just pull his fur, I'm by no means a light sleeper, but me and my doctor have an agreement, I bring Rocky to visit him, and I sleep with Ambien. My suggestion is find a doctor who will prescribe your hubby Ambien, then let Rumble be himself, after all he's not complaining!!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I have a fenced off room containing Zam's (10 months) crate and paraphernalia which has been otherwise doggie proofed where he sleeps. It works well for us and allows him to use the doggie door as needed. If he decides is barky barky time I just shut the doggie door for a few hours. I moved him out of puppy containment once I was pretty sure he understood where to go potty so by 8 months he'd been in an open crate for quite awhile. Just make sure he's not going to chew the woodwork or furniture.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
What about taking small steps to freedom: we have an xpen that we can attach to his crate to make it a play yard/crate. You can try that first, and if all goes well, use the xpen to cordon off an even bigger area where he can actually get up and roam. Then if that goes well, you can most likely start leaving him in the living room at night. You could also leave your bedroom door open and block the doorway with a gate or the xpen( we use that thing for everything!) we also do not let. bogey in our bedroom. Rumble is just so handsome !!!

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
What about taking small steps to freedom: we have an xpen that we can attach to his crate to make it a play yard/crate. You can try that first, and if all goes well, use the xpen to cordon off an even bigger area where he can actually get up and roam. Then if that goes well, you can most likely start leaving him in the living room at night. You could also leave your bedroom door open and block the doorway with a gate or the xpen( we use that thing for everything!) we also do not let. bogey in our bedroom. Rumble is just so handsome !!!

Thank you! Bogey is adorable as well! We have never attached his exercise pen to the crate but it may be worth a shot. When he was little we used it to just keep him on the tile floor since we have an open concept house and baby gates were not big enough. My question is does/can Bogey pull the crate around by running into the exercise pen? I may have to mention this one to the husband and give it a try this weekend!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We crate ours when we are gone and at night and they do fine. We put them in the spare bedrooms, except for Bebe and Hazel who sleep in their crates in our bedroom. If you want a little more room for him, put some x-pens around his crate so he can have a little more room if you wish.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber has free roam of the front of the house in the day and sleeps with our daughter at night. Ruby is only 4 months old and sleeps in her crate next to my bed at night but during the day when we are at work I have an enormous pen she roams around in. The pen was built for the Great Danes I use to rescue and now that Beast Dog when to rainbow bridge and I am not rescuing Danes at this moment in time we have the large pen for Ruby. Not sure if you have enough room for a large fully enclosed pen but some of the larger pet stores can order one for you; ours is in the extra bedroom and works nicely for training high speed bullies. Good luck.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thank you! Bogey is adorable as well! We have never attached his exercise pen to the crate but it may be worth a shot. When he was little we used it to just keep him on the tile floor since we have an open concept house and baby gates were not big enough. My question is does/can Bogey pull the crate around by running into the exercise pen? I may have to mention this one to the husband and give it a try this weekend!
Only once (when he was about 4 months old,) he did jump up on the pen and it collaspsed. (We had company and he was chewing on everyones toes, so we blocked him off from us) From that point on, I just pushed our coffee table up against it and it stablized it enough. He never did it again anyway. Now, he never attempts to jump up and it works great! (He is 8 months old). It truly was the best investment I ever made! (Other than my investment in Bogey:havemyheart:)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Don't worry about keeping him crated. He knows no different so he's going to be fine.

I like the x-pen idea. We have 2 crates and a big Costco doggy bed in our laundry room. In one we put the 2 schnauzers who are 8 and 6. Unfortunately they have a habit of peeing if they are left out so they go in there at night and when we're both at work.

By day Linus is in the second crate during the day. He is almost 20 months and completely potty trained but likes to eat anything without a pulse. By night he is left out of the crate because he is a good sleeper but once it's daylight and he can see everything it's "game on" so we have to make sure there is nothing he can find!!!

So you see. Every dog is different so age really doesn't come into it at times!!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I wouldn't worry about him being in his crate if he doesn't mind it and it's what he is used to. Winston is crated at night and when we are not home in a spare bedroom. We left him out for a while after he turned a year old and he chewed wires in his room. We just recently tried again now that he is two and he went right back for the wires. So if we are not home or sleeping hes in his crate. It is the safest place for him!! Good luck!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon was crate trained until the last two months and we have been letting him sleep in our room or my son's and when we leave I put him in my room with a couple of his toys otherwise he roams the house at will. He always alerts if he needs to go outside.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.