Rumble won't sleep at night...he is turning into an alarm clock!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is 7 1/2 months old and has been sleeping through the night for some time. Lately, he has been waking up an hour earlier than normal at 5 AM. Since he has had problems eating drywall and what not, we keep him in his kennel through the night. When he wakes up at 5 AM he barks. At this time we have been getting up and letting him out go to the bathroom just in case that is what the problem is. We then put him quietly back in his kennel so that he knows it is still bed time. He will usually go back to sleep for 20 or 30 minutes and then the barking starts. We know now that he does not need to go out since he was just previously out but if we do not go to his kennel he will bark nonstop until we let him out. The other day the barking went on for a half hour. I do not want to let him out when he is barking like that because I feel like it will teach him that is how to get our attention. What can we do so that he does not bark like this? We have tried putting him to bed up to 2 hours later but he still was up at 5 AM.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is all schedule with them.... he knows if he barks even for potty he gets out of the crate. get a spray bottle with some water in it, when he barks with a firm no, spray him. It will take a few times, but he will get it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wonder if it has anything to do with all of the stuff that happened earlier this week, he might have frayed nerves. Did this just start?

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] We have tried spraying him with water before when he has done things like biting and it does not seem to phase him. In fact, at one point he just stuck his tongue out and seemed to like it! Would you recommend not taking him out to the bathroom then at all even if he barks?
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] Rumble has done this a couple times before but he has consistently done it this week so it maybe related to the horrible weather Oklahoma has had. Although on Sunday when the bad weather was closer to us Rumble was very calm and subdued so I am not for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama We have tried spraying him with water before when he has done things like biting and it does not seem to phase him. In fact, at one point he just stuck his tongue out and seemed to like it! Would you recommend not taking him out to the bathroom then at all even if he barks?

i was afraid you were going to say it was a toy for him... Banks is the same way with it, but it worked wonderful with Nitshcke and does so with Cheli too.

Anyway, @ 7 1/2 months he should be ok with his bladder for about 9 hours... if he is within that window try to not let him out of the crate till your normal wake up time. others will be along with more advice

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah was doing this to me for a while. getting me up earlier and earlier as she sleeps with us. i have gotten to where i take her out n then if she gets back up i tell her to lay down n go to sleep n ignore her. if she persists i say it more forceful and will put her in the floor if necessary. she has learned it will not work so she stopped doing it. im thinking let him out once then do not go back no matter how much they bark. say no very forceful. with bullies ive learned they will work you any way they can. im sure more will be along with more advice.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.