Suddenly Snipping at kids....;(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh, late to this one. You have gotten great advice already, lets see what I can add. He is at that teenager phase where he wants to move up in the pack. I have had great success with hand feeding my miila. The situations weren't the same at all, she was fighting with the other 2 pups but I would think your kids r her pack just like a pup would be. Have your 2 older kids help in hand feeding once you have gotten it down well yourself so he nows they r in fact his leader as well. Allow the to quietly watch you hand feed so they learn the right commands etc from you. (My 4 year old can feed and give commands and they listen almost as well as if it was me) to start with miila I made her sit/stay while I filled her bowl and set it a foot or so in front of her. She drooled and shakes like crazy but ignore that. Take your time and grab a handful of food from the bowl having him practice his sit, down, high five etc. must do at least 1 trick before getting to eat the food out of your hand. Take your time in between handfuls, basically setting in that you decide when and if he eats. With mii it took a little while before I saw huge progress and then loosened up some. Once you get to that point I would allow your kids to join in and help, calmly. I hope this helps somehow, I know how disheartening it is when you fear your baby could hurt your kids. Also a behaviorist is a great idea as well. Not a trainer, a behaviorist. They are skilled in this type of thing.

OP
Corinnalaverne

Corinnalaverne

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
We have a cover that came with the crate that goes over it. And Herc is food aggressive he will bite your hand off trying to get the treat from you, when he is eating you can not touch him or he will snap! So feeding him from hand is kind of out of the question.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We have a cover that came with the crate that goes over it. And Herc is food aggressive he will bite your hand off trying to get the treat from you, when he is eating you can not touch him or he will snap! So feeding him from hand is kind of out of the question.

That snapping is precisely why you SHOULD be doing it. How else will he learn? You cannot be afraid of your own dog. That's bad energy to share with him as it reinforces his idea that he's somehow the one in control of everything. Granted, this isn't a job for kids --- yet -- but if you're going to genuinely rehabilitate this dog, you need some help here from a professional and hand feeding and the "Nothing in Life is Free" way to go is your ticket to success -- along with a lot of time, patience and strong leadership.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.