Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)

Default Question?

Has any of your bulldogs exhibited guarding tendencies? Are they protective?

Are they friendly, and allow everyone to pet them? Or are they standoffish?

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question?

Zeus is extremely friendly anyone can pet him. He's absolutely loves it. I usually don't mind if we are out at the store or away from the house but if we are here at the house or near I try not to jet everyone and their mommas pet him.

What about yours ????

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Ours don't guard things, except Buddy will guard his food bowl from Missy the Beagle sometimes, as she will try to steal food, but we just keep them all separated when they eat. As far as friendly goes they all love people and the attention, except BeBe, she likes to warm up to you first.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Kain barks and wants to attack the door (more than I want him too... Working on it!) but all he wants to do is wag his butt around and get pet and say Hi. Very seldom does he ever (if ever) show any sign of aggressive behaviour.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Gizmo LOVES People, but isnt real tolerable of other dogs she's very edgy around them, and it just takes one bark, and she goes into 'Super Protector Mode' It was pretty tough with her this year at the Bully Fests, to the point, she probably wont be coming to anymore. Hershey was totally chill, until his Sister alerted, then he was like ' Oh crap ! what is wrong, she is going nuts, so I guess I gotta go nuts too!' who knows :/

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

I was just actually talking to my husband about how if someone broke in they would be able to take him and my husband pointed out that he does get protective... There's times when he runs to my back door looking all tough so I open it thinking he will go out and poop or pee.. And he runs to the gate and and towards the back like he's looking foe something. Also when they neighbors get there yard done he will want to go out to the backyard and he barks at them for being too close...
    he also doesn't like cats so doesn't want him any where near his land. Lol. I'm a bit confused about this because he lets anyone touch him.
    Last edited by ZeusCsmommy; 05-21-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Grace will let any one pet her, if you get to close to me and she does not know you she will come to see if I am ok. If I am laying down and my partner gets in bed she will come lay her neck over me to hide me. I belong to her. She does bark at the neighbors but I think it is more because they are not paying attention to her.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

My two love everyone and everything. They love kids, neighbours, people on walks, all dogs, cats, pretty well anything that moves and wants to give them a tummy rub. When they approach people they run right at them, then flop on the ground at their feet and wait for a belly rub. They would probably let the robbers in the house, lick them to death, and then go home with them. Lol
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)

Wow, 8 replies and not one of them is protective? My better half chose this breed, over what i wanted which was an American bulldog. I figured if I'm going to feed him, he should at least be able to guard the home.

So remind me again, why am i buying all this dog food for this guy for?

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nypanama View Post
    Wow, 8 replies and not one of them is protective? My better half chose this breed, over what i wanted which was an American bulldog. I figured if I'm going to feed him, he should at least be able to guard the home.

So remind me again, why am i buying all this dog food for this guy for?
    Here's the thing. All the answers were from times when the humans are relatively relaxed and not showing fear. What any dog will do, especially any bully breed, if their human is showing fear and anxiety may well not be the same thing at all. Part of having a protection dog is just the size and the bark acting as a deterrent and an EB has both of those. If you really want a protection bully, get your dog trained. Even an American or Pit really needs training to do it right and at the right time otherwise you've a disaster waiting to happen. An American Bulldog is no more naturally aggressive than an EB although they may seem that way since they generally breath better. You can do basic training to get your EB to not seem too friendly with strangers. Just teach it to not jump up and be enthusiastic when someone approaches or comes to the door. If you want it to bark when some one is at the door, reward the barking. That kind of stuff. If you don't believe what I'm saying I'll put you in contact with some American Bully owner / breeders who can confirm this. Just PM me.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Walter
    Likes (Received)

Walter loves everybody, except he is really bad about jumping up on people and full of kisses (we are working on the jumping). A stranger came walking through our back yard while Walter was outside on his tie out and I thought Walter was going to rip his head off. Thats the only time he has ever acted like that.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

We've only had Ollie for 2 weeks now, he's friendly however something fell off the washer the other night and he went to the hall stood stiff, barked, growled, he stayed that way till I got up and went to the washer and called him to me. I agree with the above post about being relaxed and if the dogs feel that the owners are feared or in danger they will react differently. Our previous great dane was a gentle giant but once we had a strange guy knock on the door i was home alone she answered the door with me and could tell I was apprehensive her hair stood up on her back she showed her teeth I really think had I opened the screen she would have went after that man, thankfully her size and demanor at that moment was enough he just left....also with her my husband would play hit me, she would be fine untill i'd say ow then she would wrap her mouth on his arm not bite down but I think she was letting him know she was prepared....he did this often just to see her reaction, I really think if someone had ever hurt me she would have went all nuts on them and tore them up. (when i say play hit, he just patted my leg not really hit)'

So yea I think if your dog knows your in danger it will def react different than everyday situations...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads