Question?

Nypanama

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hondo
Has any of your bulldogs exhibited guarding tendencies? Are they protective?

Are they friendly, and allow everyone to pet them? Or are they standoffish?

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus is extremely friendly anyone can pet him. He's absolutely loves it. I usually don't mind if we are out at the store or away from the house but if we are here at the house or near I try not to jet everyone and their mommas pet him.

What about yours ????

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours don't guard things, except Buddy will guard his food bowl from Missy the Beagle sometimes, as she will try to steal food, but we just keep them all separated when they eat. As far as friendly goes they all love people and the attention, except BeBe, she likes to warm up to you first.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Kain barks and wants to attack the door (more than I want him too... Working on it!) but all he wants to do is wag his butt around and get pet and say Hi. Very seldom does he ever (if ever) show any sign of aggressive behaviour.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo LOVES People, but isnt real tolerable of other dogs :( she's very edgy around them, and it just takes one bark, and she goes into 'Super Protector Mode' It was pretty tough with her this year at the Bully Fests, to the point, she probably wont be coming to anymore. :( Hershey was totally chill, until his Sister alerted, then he was like ' Oh crap ! what is wrong, she is going nuts, so I guess I gotta go nuts too!' who knows :/

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I was just actually talking to my husband about how if someone broke in they would be able to take him and my husband pointed out that he does get protective... There's times when he runs to my back door looking all tough so I open it thinking he will go out and poop or pee.. And he runs to the gate and and towards the back like he's looking foe something. Also when they neighbors get there yard done he will want to go out to the backyard and he barks at them for being too close...
he also doesn't like cats so doesn't want him any where near his land. Lol. I'm a bit confused about this because he lets anyone touch him.

Last edited:

Mstngmxgy

Mar 23, 2013
Elk City, OK
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Grace will let any one pet her, if you get to close to me and she does not know you she will come to see if I am ok. If I am laying down and my partner gets in bed she will come lay her neck over me to hide me. I belong to her. She does bark at the neighbors but I think it is more because they are not paying attention to her. ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My two love everyone and everything. They love kids, neighbours, people on walks, all dogs, cats, pretty well anything that moves and wants to give them a tummy rub. When they approach people they run right at them, then flop on the ground at their feet and wait for a belly rub. They would probably let the robbers in the house, lick them to death, and then go home with them. Lol

OP
N

Nypanama

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hondo
Wow, 8 replies and not one of them is protective? My better half chose this breed, over what i wanted which was an American bulldog. I figured if I'm going to feed him, he should at least be able to guard the home.

So remind me again, why am i buying all this dog food for this guy for?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Wow, 8 replies and not one of them is protective? My better half chose this breed, over what i wanted which was an American bulldog. I figured if I'm going to feed him, he should at least be able to guard the home.

So remind me again, why am i buying all this dog food for this guy for?

Here's the thing. All the answers were from times when the humans are relatively relaxed and not showing fear. What any dog will do, especially any bully breed, if their human is showing fear and anxiety may well not be the same thing at all. Part of having a protection dog is just the size and the bark acting as a deterrent and an EB has both of those. If you really want a protection bully, get your dog trained. Even an American or Pit really needs training to do it right and at the right time otherwise you've a disaster waiting to happen. An American Bulldog is no more naturally aggressive than an EB although they may seem that way since they generally breath better. You can do basic training to get your EB to not seem too friendly with strangers. Just teach it to not jump up and be enthusiastic when someone approaches or comes to the door. If you want it to bark when some one is at the door, reward the barking. That kind of stuff. If you don't believe what I'm saying I'll put you in contact with some American Bully owner / breeders who can confirm this. Just PM me.

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Walter loves everybody, except he is really bad about jumping up on people and full of kisses (we are working on the jumping). A stranger came walking through our back yard while Walter was outside on his tie out and I thought Walter was going to rip his head off. Thats the only time he has ever acted like that.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
We've only had Ollie for 2 weeks now, he's friendly however something fell off the washer the other night and he went to the hall stood stiff, barked, growled, he stayed that way till I got up and went to the washer and called him to me. I agree with the above post about being relaxed and if the dogs feel that the owners are feared or in danger they will react differently. Our previous great dane was a gentle giant but once we had a strange guy knock on the door i was home alone she answered the door with me and could tell I was apprehensive her hair stood up on her back she showed her teeth I really think had I opened the screen she would have went after that man, thankfully her size and demanor at that moment was enough he just left....also with her my husband would play hit me, she would be fine untill i'd say ow then she would wrap her mouth on his arm not bite down but I think she was letting him know she was prepared....he did this often just to see her reaction, I really think if someone had ever hurt me she would have went all nuts on them and tore them up. (when i say play hit, he just patted my leg not really hit)'

So yea I think if your dog knows your in danger it will def react different than everyday situations...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Maybe cause he's a puppy but he loves all people and wants to sniff all dogs. He's very playful and loves getting attention. I've never seen him be on guard.
But, we live in an apartment building. If someone gets too close to our door, he barks like crazy. Of course if I open the door up, he'll run up the stranger shaking his butt, and hoping for attention. Our delivery guys finally realized he won't bite..lol

OP
N

Nypanama

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hondo
Interesting comments above.

Men are different from women, in the sense that, i wanted a breed of dog that would protect her, and home when i wasn't there. She, on the other hand wanted this breed of dog.

Granted he's only 1 year and 2 months old, but it gets to me to see him jumping up on every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

I've had other breeds that at 1 year, they were already showing guarding / protective instincts, and the fact that this guy isn't showing anything at this point, is really starting to bother me, especially when I consider the amount his food is costing me.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Interesting comments above.

I've had other breeds that at 1 year, they were already showing guarding / protective instincts, and the fact that this guy isn't showing anything at this point, is really starting to bother me, especially when I consider the amount his food is costing me.

I'm going to go out on the limb here, initially I wasn't even going to reply because I disagree whole heartly where you are at with your decision phase and your dog.

I believe you made the wrong choice in breed, although any dog can be trained and made to be the best it can be "in your eyes" it takes work and not an age or certain day and they will do this, this, and that. Certain breeds are better at say 'guarding' than others and I never wanted any of those traits in my Bulldog. I know they have the mean ruff and gruff look to them, a deadly sounding bark etc but at heart they are the biggest, lovable, caring, affectionate dog you could want. Exactly what I wanted when I bought Kain.

I get the sense you want a house guard dog that also eats cheap food from walmart. You defiantly have the wrong breed for this as well. I spend $90 a bad on FROMM food and will NEVER question that amount as I know it is what is best for HIM and vet bills due to me trying to save a dollar on food will far outweigh the cost of his food.

Unfortunately when people make a purchase decision based on what they think and not what they know the dog is the one that suffers in the end. This is what I feel will evidently happen to the sweet lovable bully you have now. And that is said to think of.

Do us all a favor and if you decide to find a cheap, house guard dog, that eats scraps. PLEASE consider a good, proper home for Hondo and let him have the life he deserves.

Like I said I may be out of line and a mod can delete it but I haven't felt this way in a thread before. But had to give my .02 cents.

Now if I'm completely mistaken and you love everything about your Bulldog, your desire is to feed him top quality food, have an insurance plan to back it up, love him and receive 10 times love in return, and are looking for advice on training him to be the dog you are looking for you both can have a POSITIVE future together, but at this point your dog will be feeding off your negative energy and there will be future threads of a stupid dog that can't learn anything etc etc.

Good Luck, I regretfully am done commenting on this thread.

P.S I made this tonight and thought I would also share here on some training. You will also notice the back door opens and he growls to tend to it, but that is not what we're teaching. That's what the alarm is for.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.