Help Needed! Excitement with other dogs

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie is around other dogs every day. She's fine with my dad's dogs except when people are outside. She gets excited and if you pet the others, she gets even more excited and in the other dog's faces. We haven't had a real problem until today when one dog finally had enough. She growled to warn Aubie, which Aubie obeys with the other dogs and backs away, but this time Aubie kept on. The other dog snapped at her and then there was a dog fight. Of course, Aubie is big and strong and I had a hard time getting them separated, but luckily someone was there to help. Aubie doesn't jump on the other two even when they snap, but she does this one. I think it may be because she's always avoided Aubie and the others played with her while she was growing up.

My question... what are some good techniques to practice controlling her excitement? She does not listen at all when she gets excited like that when normally she listens very well. I'm a small lady, so I have nip this because I am not strong enough to grab her up if she starts fighting.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
my pack usually lets each other know when ones had enough, they don't really fight but they do let one another know when they aren't interested in rough play any more. I don't step in, it ends quickly enough and looks much worse than it really is. If it's a real fight, they will roll around on the ground and hang onto one another, I haven't had any of that here.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would keep her on a leash and if I notice an increase in her excitement level..correct it then. Redirect her away from her goal. Start over until she is calm.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I would keep her on a leash and if I notice an increase in her excitement level..correct it then. Redirect her away from her goal. Start over until she is calm.

I think the key is disagreeing with the behavior that precedes the excited state. Having her on a leash or short lead gives you more control.

The other dogs are trying to tell her, "Hey, you are too excited. Stop being so unbalanced!" And she's not listening.

My Bo is horrible like this; hogging the pets from people. He takes his big butt and knocks Bea right out of the way and because he weighs 30+ more pounds than her, he usually "wins" the attention-hogging-game but when it becomes disruptive or he's headed straight toward over-excitement, game OVER. It's way harder to bring him back down to earth after over-excitement than it is to stop everything and correct / redirect to maintain calm. 1000 times easier. Bo is a whack job. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think the key is disagreeing with the behavior that precedes the excited state. Having her on a leash or short lead gives you more control.

The other dogs are trying to tell her, "Hey, you are too excited. Stop being so unbalanced!" And she's not listening.

Agree ^^^

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
:goodpost:

Krista, please use caution in separating two pets, Most of the time their not being overly aggressive towards each other, but when we put hands in sometimes were the ones who often get hurt unintentionally, Our skin isn't nearly as tough as theirs, and first reaction is to pull back, and that often causes tears in our skin. I know this from experience in separating two pets, and getting stitched up.

Other than that, I agree with the advice you've gotten!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online