Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This is what we use:

And it works really well.

I've seen those...they look a lot less menacing than the prong collars of yore (and the one I have). These collars are only effective when you know how to use them. I didn't. I got schooled and then was amazed by how quickly Bo caught on. It was indeed a temporary measure. A friend of mine kept her dog on a prong collar (giant Chow Chow) instead of training him properly. It always bothered me.

Last edited by a moderator:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Good luck .. bullies are deceivingly strong!!! If all else fails maybe get both of you into a couple of training classes or sessions with a trainer.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Well I don't want to use one. He pulls so hard. What if he doesn't care I don't want him getting hurt. He pulls hard and it seems like nothing hurts them. He's slammed into my car doors soo manny times. And just walks away, I'm trying to follow him cause it sounded so loud. I feel so bad. When he does that.

Good luck .. bullies are deceivingly strong!!! If all else fails maybe get both of you into a couple of training classes or sessions with a trainer.
I was thinking about that.

SquareDog

Mar 10, 2013
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Loupotamus
I've seen those...they look a lot less menacing than the prong collars of yore (and the one I have). These collars are only effective when you know how to use them. I didn't. I got schooled and then was amazed by how quickly Bo caught on. It was indeed a temporary measure. A friend of mine kept her dog on a prong collar (giant Chow Chow) instead of training him properly. It always bothered me.

It is a lot less menacing, and less vicious. Our trainer said that it mimics the mom's teeth on their neck when they're a puppy. It also evenly distributes the pressure of the collar instead of putting it all in the front of their throat.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I had the same problem with my dog pulling and had to resort to a pinch collar. I only had to correct him three times on the first walk and he has been walking perfectly ever since.

Glad you mentioned this because I use a prong collar at times in my training. Some object to it and that's fine. If someone decides they want to try one they should get a really good one, the cheap ones have more potential to cause pain in my opinion, so if you decide to try get a good one and have someone that "really" knows how to use these correctly and they work fine. For those that think they are dreadful, well it all depends on how they are used. I have worn one myself [not doing anything kinky was just seeing how it felt] and had a trainer put one on my forearm and use a correction. If used correctly they do not inflict pain.

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
By they way I have and still use a harness when walking, or the prong colllar. I also have a conventional flat collar but I do not walk Ace with it or train him on leash with it. In my opinion a conventional flat collar has far more potential for injury than a well made prong collar used correctly

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
This is my advice. Train at home first... Then you control the situation - no new smells and the like to distract you. Teach him to walk either beside you or behind you consistently. Use a command to bring him back to position (usually "heel"). If he walks ahead of you, stop, give the heel command and walk the other direction. You can also "snap" the leash (not a tug) to make a sound to catch his attention so you can give the heel command and then walk the other direction. You can also use the "snap" to signal that you're about to turn or change direction. He needs to stay on one side and not criss-cross infront or behind. You may need to hold the leash really close at first to keep him by your side. When I start training an adult (or a big puppy) for the first time, I usually hold the leash in my left hand, have the leash go behind me and I hold the end of the leash on my right hand close to the dog's harness/collar while he walks on my right side. This way, the dog will have to run full speed to pull me. When he's at home you can usually maintain eye contact when walking so you can encourage him with "good boy" type praise when he's in proper position. When he's walking properly and learning your commands, then you can take him outside and do some rehearsals until he's ready for the big walk.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Your dog probably doesn't do this, but for those reading this thread who is using the leash for the very first time - you might experience that the dog will rush forward, get to the end of the leash and gets surprised by the pull-back, so he turns and tries to bite the leash. Don't reprimand the dog or say negative feedback. This will only make the dog associate bad feelings with the leash. Instead, stop, call the dog to come to you and then give praise. You may have to repeat this a few times before the dog learns that there's this leash, and it's all good.

I think this is good advice on how to walk on leash and teaching the "heel" command. Since getting Ace I have tried two trainers, both of the trainers and everything I have read on this subject is basically the same advice as you have given here.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
When he starts to walk ahead, You could also try turning around quickly and going the opposite direction if just stopping doesn't work. That has worked for me in the past when training.

Last edited:
OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
All great advice. Thank u. He is a lot better I ended up getting the no pull harness and it helped a lot.. :) and I'm creaking up at one of the comment above, Not trying the collar in a kinky way. Haha give me ideas j/k

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I applaud you for sticking with the challenge of walking him. I have seen many an owner give up and put the dog in the backyard because it was easier than working on a solution. :clap2:

JSWatson

Jul 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley and Nitro
Hi, everyone. I am a new member, and was just reading this thread. One of our bulldogs, Nitro, has figured out how to escape (every now and then, usually when my husband is not paying attention, LOL) from the walking collar/leash that we use. So, I've been thinking about moving both of our guys over to harnesses, but we've never used harnesses before. Thus, am looking for advice on best ones to buy, proper fitting and use? I think basic harnesses will be fine for us (as opposed to the "pinching" ones discussed above. . . . our guys pull, but we employ the stop/heel methods - which work most of the time, LOL). Thanks in advance for any advice on the harnesses, particularly with respect to proper fitting.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi, everyone. I am a new member, and was just reading this thread. One of our bulldogs, Nitro, has figured out how to escape (every now and then, usually when my husband is not paying attention, LOL) from the walking collar/leash that we use. So, I've been thinking about moving both of our guys over to harnesses, but we've never used harnesses before. Thus, am looking for advice on best ones to buy, proper fitting and use? I think basic harnesses will be fine for us (as opposed to the "pinching" ones discussed above. . . . our guys pull, but we employ the stop/heel methods - which work most of the time, LOL). Thanks in advance for any advice on the harnesses, particularly with respect to proper fitting.

The puppia harness is very nice :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
I realized with the harness, our dog would pull harder, with his collar he still wants to pull but he is starting to pull less!, and with time and patience it should stop. It's in their nature to pull.
But if he his pulling excessively, that's not good for their throats could damage it. Be careful, and keep trying.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Harnesses are a safe way to go. You have better control and there is no chance of it slipping off like there is with a collar. Harnesses are very adjustable, each strap should have a way to be adjusted for length.

Here is the link for the Puppia harness suggested by Dessertskybulldogs it has a measuring chart and pictures that show the harness on different kinds of dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Soft-D...qid=1375314979&sr=1-1&keywords=puppia+harness

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online