I can't walk my own dog.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ok so, zeus is incredibly strong. I haven't been able to walk him for a while. It's usually my husband that does it. I have to literally lean like a cholo( it's a song lyric) ... Lmao. Ok just kidding ignore that.. Well what can I do so he doesn't pull so hard. And I think I'm the pack leader. He listens to me at home even outside. But once we go for that walk he pulls so hard. Is he going through a teenage I don't want to be seen with my mom stage lol. All jokes aside help.

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
We had the same problem with both of our dogs, we bought a Freedom no pull harness and it worked instantly, the cheapest was on Amazon, make sure you get the whole package, it will come with the harness and 4 foot leash. Money well spent :2thumbs:

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Walter did the same thing right away. Once he started really pulling we would stop, wait 5 seconds or so and then continue our walk. It took a little bit but he eventually figured out that if he was going to pull, we weren't going anywhere.

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I would have to agree that when he pulls you stop. Do you use the command "heel"? It's always helped me. Im a petite woman and have had to walk my dads 100 lb American Bulldog and my brothers 80 pound pit bulls. So I know what it's like to be dragged down the street once or twice.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
We had the same problem with both of our dogs, we bought a Freedom no pull harness and it worked instantly, the cheapest was on Amazon, make sure you get the whole package, it will come with the harness and 4 foot leash. Money well spent :2thumbs:
i will look into it. Thank you. What size did u get. If u don't mind me asking :D

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I would have to agree that when he pulls you stop. Do you use the command "heel"? It's always helped me. Im a petite woman and have had to walk my dads 100 lb American Bulldog and my brothers 80 pound pit bulls. So I know what it's like to be dragged down the street once or twice.

That's funny, 80# Pitt Bull and 100# American Bull, these should be Sled Dogs……

Wee Angus

Apr 1, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I had the same problem with my dog pulling and had to resort to a pinch collar. I only had to correct him three times on the first walk and he has been walking perfectly ever since.

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
i will look into it. Thank you. What size did u get. If u don't mind me asking :D

Both of them got a Large, Thatcher is 54 lbs at almost 12 months and Sebastian is 73lbs at 4 years (Sebastian is a EBD/Boxer mix)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
And the pinch collar is only while u train...???

Correct... pinch collars are a temporary measure and should not be needed for a long time.

OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Correct... pinch collars are a temporary measure and should not be needed for a long time.
Well I don't want to use one. He pulls so hard. What if he doesn't care I don't want him getting hurt. He pulls hard and it seems like nothing hurts them. He's slammed into my car doors soo manny times. And just walks away, I'm trying to follow him cause it sounded so loud. I feel so bad. When he does that.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This is my advice. Train at home first... Then you control the situation - no new smells and the like to distract you. Teach him to walk either beside you or behind you consistently. Use a command to bring him back to position (usually "heel"). If he walks ahead of you, stop, give the heel command and walk the other direction. You can also "snap" the leash (not a tug) to make a sound to catch his attention so you can give the heel command and then walk the other direction. You can also use the "snap" to signal that you're about to turn or change direction. He needs to stay on one side and not criss-cross infront or behind. You may need to hold the leash really close at first to keep him by your side. When I start training an adult (or a big puppy) for the first time, I usually hold the leash in my left hand, have the leash go behind me and I hold the end of the leash on my right hand close to the dog's harness/collar while he walks on my right side. This way, the dog will have to run full speed to pull me. When he's at home you can usually maintain eye contact when walking so you can encourage him with "good boy" type praise when he's in proper position. When he's walking properly and learning your commands, then you can take him outside and do some rehearsals until he's ready for the big walk.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Your dog probably doesn't do this, but for those reading this thread who is using the leash for the very first time - you might experience that the dog will rush forward, get to the end of the leash and gets surprised by the pull-back, so he turns and tries to bite the leash. Don't reprimand the dog or say negative feedback. This will only make the dog associate bad feelings with the leash. Instead, stop, call the dog to come to you and then give praise. You may have to repeat this a few times before the dog learns that there's this leash, and it's all good.

Last edited:
OP
ZeusCsmommy

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
This is my advice. Train at home first... Then you control the situation - no new smells and the like to distract you. Teach him to walk either beside you or behind you consistently. Use a command to bring him back to position (usually "heel"). If he walks ahead of you, stop, give the heel command and walk the other direction. You can also "snap" the leash (not a tug) to make a sound to catch his attention so you can give the heel command and then walk the other direction. You can also use the "snap" to signal that you're about to turn or change direction. He needs to stay on one side and not criss-cross infront or behind. You may need to hold the leash really close at first to keep him by your side. When I start training an adult (or a big puppy) for the first time, I usually hold the leash in my left hand, have the leash go behind me and I hold the end of the leash on my right hand close to the dog's harness/collar while he walks on my right side. This way, the dog will have to run full speed to pull me. When he's at home you can usually maintain eye contact when walking so you can encourage him with "good boy" type praise when he's in proper position. When he's walking properly and learning your commands, then you can take him outside and do some rehearsals until he's ready for the big walk.
Thank you I will try this. Sounds like great advise. Wish me luck... And no he won't try to bite the leash.... I've been walking since his shots cleared but when he got to strong like at 6 or 7 months I couldn't do it anymore. He got so strong so fast.

SquareDog

Mar 10, 2013
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Loupotamus
This is what we use:

212100823_lg.jpg

And it works really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online