Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default the dreaded Humping????

So we've had Ollie for a little over a week, he's been great with one bad manner....Humping its only my 5 yr old son, hes not once tried to hump my husband nor I. He is not fixed its in progress, but i also no that fixing doesn't always fix the problem...He is wonderful with my son besides the constant trying to hump him. One odd thing i noticed is that he does it occasionally thru the day here and there but when my son takes a bath at night after he's done and dressed he comes out and its non-stop with Ollie trying to hump him, we don't have a crate but a hallway where he can be blocked off we put him in there for a short time-out when he does it, i've used the water bottle on him nothing seems to deter him. As soon as we say Ollie he gets down walks away but turns right around and will go for it again, and again, and again.....we try to catch it before he starts and distract him with a toy or such, but its not working!!! Any suggestions, tips, reasonings???

Thanks all!!

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the dreaded Humping????

Hey Jessica, You and your Husband has been identified by Ollie as his Pack leaders, Your son is part of the pack, even at 5 years old, ollie is humping him in a natural trait to show dominance, Ollie is trying to jump your son in the order of the pack. It's that simple, My Vet and I had that talk the other day, He said he had his English Bull Dog fixed at a year old, and still had the problem afterwards. In my opinion, the problem won't be easilly resolved until your son is older, and Ollie identifies him as his pack leader as well. Ollie is trying to figure out where in the pack he belongs, ahead or behind your 5 year old. You can correct his actions and behaviors, But until he gets it that the 5 year old is ahead of him in the pack, he won't be respectful of his position. Someone may have a better idea of correcting this action, as I know it's undesireable behavior, but this is whats going on, and if Ollie was a female, it would be the same humping, it doesn't just occur with males, it's a female trait too, and it's all about Dominance, Other pets should or would be humped as well, also another way they show dominance is by rolling another pet over and pinning them down belly up, constantly trying to put a chin over the other pet etc.... Rocky tried the same thing with me, and as soon as I identified to him I was THE pack leader, this undesireable behavior stopped immediately!! Hope the reasoning part helps.... Hope someone else will chime in on a better way to correct the behavior, My way of correcting it is the assume pack leader, but for a 5 year old to do this obviously isn't going to happen....Welcome to EBN, worlds best resource for learning about your bully....

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, we thought that may be a reasoning and have been having our son feed ollie everyday and water him. I read that may help if that was the issue. Of course it hasn't helped at all!!!! Thanks for the input and i've learned alot from this website already!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes, he is trying to 'own' your son. Keep on him with the corrections and having your son feed him... it will take time
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member RazrRila99's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colossus
    Likes (Received)

Im just going on what others have said on the site - but you say your son is feeding Ollie, is he just putting the food in the bowl or is he hand feeding Ollie? Maybe hand feeding might get the point across sooner?

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

just putting the food in the bowl, will def try with hand feeding starting tonight...

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My Gunnyboy was a humper, he would hump a spider if you held it down. he was fixed and still did it even at the age of 10. On the other hand Sarge is 2 and has never humped and has no intrest. I guess they are like humans some dont care one way or another.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I've been lucky so far in that all my male dogs and bullys have not been humpers!!!

Yes, continue with your son feeding him but it HAS to be him taking the kibble from your sons hand bit by bit.

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyboy View Post
    My Gunnyboy was a humper, he would hump a spider if you held it down. he was fixed and still did it even at the age of 10. On the other hand Sarge is 2 and has never humped and has no intrest. I guess they are like humans some dont care one way or another.
    omg this is so funny. Hahah that would be rape on the spider. Lol zeus use to do that but usually not with us, when he did try I would say with a very stern voice " NO, ZEUS" followed with "I'm your mom" lol. It would mostly happen with my nieces when they came over. He's a lot better now doesn't do it. Idk if he enjoys his pillow at night because I'm not spying on him.

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes, he is trying to 'own' your son. Keep on him with the corrections and having your son feed him... it will take time
    I know this isn't funny but I absolutely love this comment. Made me literally lol. With the owning part.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Gunny would hump anyone and everything, and sometimes he would hump the air, I gave him a special pillow that he loved to hump. If you told him to stop that ! he would look at you and keep going, what a guy, I miss him so much

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nate
    Likes (Received)

Our Nate is 7 months old and tries to hump my 10 year old son. I make my son tell him no and show that he is the leader. Of course to no avail. He also humps his stuffed toys. We are going to have him fixed next month. Hopefully this will help. Nate also does this sucking thing on his stuffed toys. He will suck the face of the stuffed toys, and his tail (we call it his little bun) wiggles. He will do this until the stuffed animals face is soaked. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quad 184.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	44384

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads