the dreaded Humping????

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
So we've had Ollie for a little over a week, he's been great with one bad manner....Humping its only my 5 yr old son, hes not once tried to hump my husband nor I. He is not fixed its in progress, but i also no that fixing doesn't always fix the problem...He is wonderful with my son besides the constant trying to hump him. One odd thing i noticed is that he does it occasionally thru the day here and there but when my son takes a bath at night after he's done and dressed he comes out and its non-stop with Ollie trying to hump him, we don't have a crate but a hallway where he can be blocked off we put him in there for a short time-out when he does it, i've used the water bottle on him nothing seems to deter him. As soon as we say Ollie he gets down walks away but turns right around and will go for it again, and again, and again.....we try to catch it before he starts and distract him with a toy or such, but its not working!!! Any suggestions, tips, reasonings???

Thanks all!!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Jessica, You and your Husband has been identified by Ollie as his Pack leaders, Your son is part of the pack, even at 5 years old, ollie is humping him in a natural trait to show dominance, Ollie is trying to jump your son in the order of the pack. It's that simple, My Vet and I had that talk the other day, He said he had his English Bull Dog fixed at a year old, and still had the problem afterwards. In my opinion, the problem won't be easilly resolved until your son is older, and Ollie identifies him as his pack leader as well. Ollie is trying to figure out where in the pack he belongs, ahead or behind your 5 year old. You can correct his actions and behaviors, But until he gets it that the 5 year old is ahead of him in the pack, he won't be respectful of his position. Someone may have a better idea of correcting this action, as I know it's undesireable behavior, but this is whats going on, and if Ollie was a female, it would be the same humping, it doesn't just occur with males, it's a female trait too, and it's all about Dominance, Other pets should or would be humped as well, also another way they show dominance is by rolling another pet over and pinning them down belly up, constantly trying to put a chin over the other pet etc.... Rocky tried the same thing with me, and as soon as I identified to him I was THE pack leader, this undesireable behavior stopped immediately!! Hope the reasoning part helps.... Hope someone else will chime in on a better way to correct the behavior, My way of correcting it is the assume pack leader, but for a 5 year old to do this obviously isn't going to happen....Welcome to EBN, worlds best resource for learning about your bully....

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thanks, we thought that may be a reasoning and have been having our son feed ollie everyday and water him. I read that may help if that was the issue. Of course it hasn't helped at all!!!! Thanks for the input and i've learned alot from this website already!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, he is trying to 'own' your son. Keep on him with the corrections and having your son feed him... it will take time

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Im just going on what others have said on the site - but you say your son is feeding Ollie, is he just putting the food in the bowl or is he hand feeding Ollie? Maybe hand feeding might get the point across sooner?

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
just putting the food in the bowl, will def try with hand feeding starting tonight...

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
My Gunnyboy was a humper, he would hump a spider if you held it down. he was fixed and still did it even at the age of 10. On the other hand Sarge is 2 and has never humped and has no intrest. I guess they are like humans some dont care one way or another.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've been lucky so far in that all my male dogs and bullys have not been humpers!!!

Yes, continue with your son feeding him but it HAS to be him taking the kibble from your sons hand bit by bit. :yes:

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
My Gunnyboy was a humper, he would hump a spider if you held it down. he was fixed and still did it even at the age of 10. On the other hand Sarge is 2 and has never humped and has no intrest. I guess they are like humans some dont care one way or another.
omg this is so funny. Hahah that would be rape on the spider. Lol zeus use to do that but usually not with us, when he did try I would say with a very stern voice " NO, ZEUS" followed with "I'm your mom" lol. It would mostly happen with my nieces when they came over. He's a lot better now doesn't do it. Idk if he enjoys his pillow at night because I'm not spying on him.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny would hump anyone and everything, and sometimes he would hump the air, I gave him a special pillow that he loved to hump. If you told him to stop that ! he would look at you and keep going, what a guy, I miss him so much

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Our Nate is 7 months old and tries to hump my 10 year old son. I make my son tell him no and show that he is the leader. Of course to no avail. He also humps his stuffed toys. We are going to have him fixed next month. Hopefully this will help. Nate also does this sucking thing on his stuffed toys. He will suck the face of the stuffed toys, and his tail (we call it his little bun) wiggles. He will do this until the stuffed animals face is soaked.
quad 184.jpg

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
If I'm laying on the couch remi will always try to hump me. Never my husband. He knows I'm his leader. There is a joke in our house that remi only listens to me.

I found out the hard way that some dogs, especially young ones can do it out of social excitement or play. It's not always about dominance but definitely could be. Some dogs are socially awkward and you have to train it out of them. Isolation or timeout in a crate with no one else in the room worked miracles for us. Good luck...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
If I'm laying on the couch remi will always try to hump me. Never my husband. He knows I'm his leader. There is a joke in our house that remi only listens to me.

I found out the hard way that some dogs, especially young ones can do it out of social excitement or play. It's not always about dominance but definitely could be. Some dogs are socially awkward and you have to train it out of them. Isolation or timeout in a crate with no one else in the room worked miracles for us. Good luck...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That is so weird that u say he will only do it to you. Zeus will look at me weird and when I clean I have my music on and dancing and that is the only times we will try to hump me... But he listens to me more than my husband

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo will hump out of over-excitement. That's easy to monitor and get ahead of. It rarely happens now and, in fact, only when we encounter a certain neighbor of mine (who Bo, of course, adores) who talks to him in squeaky high baby talk and let's him lick her face until she's sopping. He loves it so much, I let them go at it -- all except the humping part which I disagree with. Honestly, I think this weird lady likes it....? Ewww.

Bo will ALSO try to hump one of the gardeners in the complex. He's a weak energy. Incidentally, he's also going to be attending the police academy soon (maybe they'll help him with that). Anyway, Bo recognizes this in him and when the boy is petting him, he will immediately go for that leg. It's become a joke with the other maintenance guys who, incidentally, love to visit with Bea and Bo and actually have bags of cookies in their little golf carts to give them. They'll say, "Hey Jason. Bo's here and wants some lovin!" and stuff like that. Of course, we all know it's not about sex but in this case, dominance. All I can do is disagree with the behavior and be VERY CLEAR about it. Bo gets confused and it's my fault entirely. The maintenance guys laugh and egg him on so he's getting a reward for humping Jason. When the koo koo neighbor gets him going, she laughs like hell and there's his reward there. Ugh. I disagree with the behavior but he's still getting something out of doing it so what does he do? He's a dog. He's instinctual; he keeps on doing it. LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.