Vinny took a big step back. Help

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You've gotten really great advice. You mustn't doubt yourself. One day even one hour at a time. Like Kazzy said..there will be steps backward. You just get your bearings and move forward. Eventually, he will move forward with you. It's like raising children...you wouldn't give up when they hit puberty...you just keep going. :up:

GREAT point also and one I have to remind myself of from time to time. They say "terrible twos". Bo turned 2 in February but for him, it was the "terrible ones". LOL He's becoming a different dog, right before my eyes and it's due to consistent leadership and trust.

You can do this.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't remember seeing the other thread and so I don't have much info about your particular situation except what's on the OP and its bedtime so I just want to say something quick...

Not all growl-accompanied-by-snapping-teeth is a sign of "I wanna be alpha". My Angus, for example, is a super-omega dog. He's scared of his own shadow. But there was once that my husband corrected him, he got scared, and snapped at my husband. You can usually tell if it's a "I'm the boss of you" snapping or an "I'm gonna die!" snapping by the tucked in tail and bowed body and the flinching. Once you identify the cause of the snapping, then you can give the appropriate correction. A scared-snap still needs correction - a dog should not snap at you even if it's for his self-defense. But trust needs to be built so that a dog will not be so scared of you that he feels the need to snap in self-defense.

if this is the case with your dog, let me know and I'll share how my husband deals with this type of behavior.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't remember seeing the other thread and so I don't have much info about your particular situation except what's on the OP and its bedtime so I just want to say something quick...

Not all growl-accompanied-by-snapping-teeth is a sign of "I wanna be alpha". My Angus, for example, is a super-omega dog. He's scared of his own shadow. But there was once that my husband corrected him, he got scared, and snapped at my husband. You can usually tell if it's a "I'm the boss of you" snapping or an "I'm gonna die!" snapping by the tucked in tail and bowed body and the flinching. Once you identify the cause of the snapping, then you can give the appropriate correction. A scared-snap still needs correction - a dog should not snap at you even if it's for his self-defense. But trust needs to be built so that a dog will not be so scared of you that he feels the need to snap in self-defense.

if this is the case with your dog, let me know and I'll share how my husband deals with this type of behavior.

Great point. I think many dogs are "diagnosed" as aggressive when that couldn't be further from the truth. Fear aggression is harder to rehabilitate too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online