quick to pick up everything but...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Ok, Ernie just hit 5 months. Total rockstar on every single thing I am working with him on EXCEPT housebreaking. He rarely has accidents but that is only because I am trained so well. Cannot get him to ring the bell or to give me any indication that he has to go outside. I cannot believe he does not "get it" when he gets everything else so fast. Any thoughts? Maybe I am doing the bell ringing wrong. I take him to the door, take his paw and ring the bell and say outside and give him a treat. then I take him right outside. better ways?

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ok, Ernie just hit 5 months. Total rockstar on every single thing I am working with him on EXCEPT housebreaking. He rarely has accidents but that is only because I am trained so well. Cannot get him to ring the bell or to give me any indication that he has to go outside. I cannot believe he does not "get it" when he gets everything else so fast. Any thoughts? Maybe I am doing the bell ringing wrong. I take him to the door, take his paw and ring the bell and say outside and give him a treat. then I take him right outside. better ways?
That is so clever. Not any help but actually was wondering if it will work on my older baby. It sounds like you are doing a good job maybe he's just being stubborn.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I could have written this post! Bogey too is a great learner, but he thought those bells were just a tug toy! I took them away a while and reintroduced them- nope- just a new toy!! However, at 6 1/2 months old, he started going to the door and just patiently sitting. Could never get him to ring the bells, but he finally DID get that the door was where to be if he wanted to go out! We have not had an accident in over 2 months- mostly because I was on top of him, but now, he has suddenly begun to let us know! I don't think we will ever figure out the bully mentality!!

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
that gives me some hope that he will one day tell me he has to go out. hopefully sooner rather than later!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is 6 1/2. We got her when she was 3 1/2. She was housebroken, but never indicated she needed to go out, and that did lead to a few pee accidents in the beginning. But we learned her schedule quickly and now we just force her out several times a day and she goes (She hates outside). Not long ago though Bruce had a day where he had forgotten one of the normal "potty times" and she did have to go. She went and sat by the door. He suddenly realized she wasn't in the room and went looking for her and there she was.

I'm sure she would have been afraid of the bells if we would have ever tried them.

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Pickle's just the opposite. Won't do any tricks but will let me know when she wants to go out. Her signs are when I sit down with the laptop, or food or just getting into a tv show - she wants to go out. ;) She plans this very well.

She learned when I put the litter box by the back door. Now she goes to the door and stares at me until I let her out.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
We've been there with Tubby. We didn't do the bell thing. He never gave you any hints he had to go til he was leaving me a puddle on the carpet lol
He just didn't get it. Then I kid you not the day he turned 6 months we have been accident free. He will sit at the door and if you don't see him he will find you and bark like a mad man till you get up then he runs to the door. I thought he was a tad slow NOPE just does whatever he wants. Wonder where he got that from:whistle:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
The bells at the door is a neat idea, I wonder how long it would take Rocky to rip them off of the door and bring them to me, in his impatient manner, of I want it now!! lol

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
ok, I am going to hold out until 6 months and send him the good bathroom vibes everyday!!!:rolleyes:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Some are just late bloomers. Wilson was 4 months and Emma just over 6. I had a hard time with her. Just keep doing what you're doing and most importantly, patience and praise no matter how hard it is for you, or your carpets. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've never tried the bells. But 2 of mine will tap. 2 will come and sit in front of you and whine. 1 will just sit at the door and wait. But when one goes out I usually get a few going out with them. So the back door gets open and closed quite a few times during the day!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bells did not work for us either..... we taught them the word 'potty'. Asked if they had to go - took them out and gave them a treat after the went, right there on the spot. Our EB's were right on it.... our Frenchie ---- pppffffffttt, yeah 2 yrs later and still doesn't tell us he has to go - it is all schedule withhim.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.