URGENT!!! Please help I dont want to lose my baby!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
So glad to hear things are going better

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Keep us posted.
Lots of great advice. Nothing more to add.

Good Day~

OP
Rosie1989

Rosie1989

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Vincent (vinnie)
Ok tonight vinny has taken a giant step back. Although he has always been less respectful of me he has always respected my boyfriend. Tonight he growled at me so we both stood up, put his leash on and walked him in to his crate. He then turned and snapped at my boyfriend in an aggressive manner. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know any good trainers in the New York area? Or we are going to have to look for a new home for him which I would hate but I'm starting to think he is just unhappy living in an apartment. This was the original reason we got an English bulldog as I was told they were good apartment dogs but he is more of an old English bulldog size and needs more running time, please any help.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
My boy still gets a attitude like that but he is more of a backtalking fool. His eyes get a little wide eyed and no he's ob one... It takes time and a lot of persistants. Also what i find the key is consistentny is important and for both of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Let me tag [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ok tonight vinny has taken a giant step back. Although he has always been less respectful of me he has always respected my boyfriend. Tonight he growled at me so we both stood up, put his leash on and walked him in to his crate. He then turned and snapped at my boyfriend in an aggressive manner. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know any good trainers in the New York area? Or we are going to have to look for a new home for him which I would hate but I'm starting to think he is just unhappy living in an apartment. This was the original reason we got an English bulldog as I was told they were good apartment dogs but he is more of an old English bulldog size and needs more running time, please any help.

Don't give up ... this is perfectly normal behaviour. REMEMBER .. two steps forward, and one step back!!! This is your step back. Just don't freak out and both of you continue to do as you have been doing.

I know how hard it is .. really I do. But I think it was [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] who put in her thread to be prepared for this. It's not unusual and you are not alone!!! :yes:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes, this is what you should expect. You need to be strong and just be consistent in what you continue doing. Obviously you had it right, you saw the difference almost over night. Keep that in mind and just keep with it. They are like kids. They LOVE structure but will test it every once in a while. Heck, Cutty who is my good boy (7years old) gets grumbly here and there and can do his alligator snaps if I bust him. Never would he bite but he is mouthy at times, and he is my good boy. Don't think of rehoming now, just focus on the progress. It took a good 6 months to get miila in line with no more fighting. I still remember the last fight her and Cutty had when I was so exhausted I told my husband maybe she would be better off somewhere else. I worried about the kids being in the wrong place when a fight broke out. Thank gawd he was the calm one who said no, she is a good girl. It was her last outburst and she has been in the pack ever since.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As the others have said just keep doing what you are doing. He will test you every once in awhile till he finally gets it. Just keep up the good work and don't give up. When he growls or snaps just tell him "NO" and whne he stops make him do what you wanted him to do. Please keep us posted. It will get better.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I learned a long time ago if a dog wants to bite - he will bite. A snap is a snap. They never miss. So he is testing. Don't pull away and focus on keeping your energy loving and calm. Hard I know but it will pay off ten fold. Vinny has a lot of growing to do. And as for walking behind.- My Bullies Miss Tallulah and Buster walk beside me not behind me and they have no issues. It is the sign of a confident bonded dog. I know when these issues arise they take over our thoughts but try to remember your successes and remember also that your patience and perseverance are a precious gift to your Bully. It might help get you through the challenges.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I would perform the getting in out of the shower over and over and over again starting from going into bathroom step by step. Put on whatever you wear (towel ?) when you are going into the shower, just set up the scene as normal. Have your boyfreind/husband with dog on leash and he corrects/disagrees with the excitement the nano second its starts. So as soon as you walk into the bathroom, your boyfriend should correct him if he even looks at the bathroom door. If he does to look at the door, go back and start again. Once he understands you do not want him looking at the door when you walk in, you continue to step 2, which would you be turning on shower. Your boyfriend does minor correct/disagree with looking at bathroom door when shower is on... if he looks when you turn the water on, you go out and start from the beginning again, this continues until you successfully achieve the entire activity. Wherever he starts his bad behaviour, correct him and start again. I dont think its necessary to reward with treats when he behaves good when you come out of the shower, but some trainers may think associating you coming out of shower with good things could work. If you do do that, becareful of what behavour you are actually rewarding. He should not get any reward when not in a calm submissive state.

Just to be clear when I say correction I mean a simple tug on leash to get his attention and say No. Good luck. They can be stubborn guys, but try to break it down into its parts and start with the very first step.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Well to add to what Becky and Angie have said, I would def. crate him when triggers may happen. Seems that they happen mostly when you rnt with him, is that right? So maybe he needs crated anytime you have to be out of sight. Shower, outside, etc. I know it sounds cruel BUT if it prevents this behavior and keeps him safe along with you then it is a good thing. He def knows you r intimidated and how could you not be? Miilas started in after we got her but there was no fear since she had bitten me and she was only 35 pounds so I knew what she could do, not much. Hand feeding I think saved her the most. I also submitted but every once in a while her teenage self will regress (thinking maybe she has the upper hand) and honestly submitting appears to do nothing. She submits easily for me and will go back and be trying to bite Cutty the next day. When I went back to the basics of hand feeding, it put her right back n her place almost immediately. I know we have many times written on hand feeding so if you search you might find more but I will try and put howi did it.

If you have any other pets feed them first, allowing him to watch them eat in a sit/stay. (Doesn't sound like you do tho) so to feed him, put his food in the bowl while he is in a sit/stay and take your time. YOU r in control of his food. As soon as he understands that I think it will empower you some. Let him drool..... Take a handful at a time and before allowing him to eat any he must work. (Practice sit, stay, shake, etc) after he does what you ask of him he can have the bite out of your hand. It is slimy and sounds like it will take too long to doubt honestly it goes pretty quickly and once you see results you can slowly cut corners,making it faster and easier on you. I think it is moorland to have your boyfriend also feed meals this way so that there is consistency in who runs the house.

I could go on I think but that is the basics to get started. In between bites make him wait on YOUR schedule, not his. Miilas shakes and drools while she waits and you feel bad BUT knowing she is so in tune with us as a pack makes it worth it. Hope it helps you some.

I did pin Sheldon to the floor when we first got him and I have also hand fed him and now he always defers to me when given a command by someone else like my husband (which secretly I love) as well as doing as he is told as for behavior modification goes I have used positive reinforcement with him and when that won't work I resort to discipline with the discipline being time out or sprayed with a water bottle. Time out is being crated until he is calm and submissive. I never really thought of what I do with Sheldon as training just modifying the behavior I don't like I have had him since he was approximately 10 weeks old and when I got him at the time we were unaware he had come from a puppy mill we learned that about three or four months later. Sheldon literally saved my life God sent Sheldon to us because He knew he would be needed at a critical time for me. Sheldon is my guardian Angel. I can testify that everything they are saying works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I did pin Sheldon to the floor when we first got him and I have also hand fed him and now he always defers to me when given a command by someone else like my husband (which secretly I love) as well as doing as he is told as for behavior modification goes I have used positive reinforcement with him and when that won't work I resort to discipline with the discipline being time out or sprayed with a water bottle. Time out is being crated until he is calm and submissive. I never really thought of what I do with Sheldon as training just modifying the behavior I don't like I have had him since he was approximately 10 weeks old and when I got him at the time we were unaware he had come from a puppy mill we learned that about three or four months later. Sheldon literally saved my life God sent Sheldon to us because He knew he would be needed at a critical time for me. Sheldon is my guardian Angel. I can testify that everything they are saying works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

such great news! :up: feels so good to be able to take back control doesn't it? :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online