Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help I dont want to lose my baby!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please help I dont want to lose my baby!

Thank you @Vicaroo1000 I've felt bad for giving him away, but I never gave up on "Frass" as I call him, I gave up on myself. I knew he could be an awesome friend for the right person with the right touch<3 I was just not that person:'( I miss him but as you said, the most important thing is that HE is happy No dog deserves to be given up on, there is always a way, no matter the issue, there is someone out there that IS the right person I realize it might take time to find that special someone sometimes but for me there were never never never any other option, and there shouldn't be... to buy or rescue a dog is easy, it's the time and effort put in that is the hard part, and as I see it re-homing a dog must be ten billion times easier than putting your friend down:'( I just don't understand it and I never will.

Thank you again for making me feel better about a hard BUT right decision and congrats to Bo who found you and his forever home
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1989 View Post
    Thank you everyone so much I will keep you posted on his progress. I am aware it will take time but last night following all your advice I shut him in his crate when I showered and hand fed him and kept him on a lead following me all evening and he did not growl or show any grumpy-ness. He did cry for a while when he was shut in his crate but I just waited until he had relaxed to let him out. This morning he still didn't growl or get grumpy and I hand fed him again. Fingers crossed with some perseverance he will become a much happier pooch Thanks again. I also have him booked in at the vets on Saturday, fingers crossed he is just stroppy and not unwell. Thanks again!
    This is great, how did the vet appt go on Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1989 View Post
    Thank you everyone so much I will keep you posted on his progress. I am aware it will take time but last night following all your advice I shut him in his crate when I showered and hand fed him and kept him on a lead following me all evening and he did not growl or show any grumpy-ness. He did cry for a while when he was shut in his crate but I just waited until he had relaxed to let him out. This morning he still didn't growl or get grumpy and I hand fed him again. Fingers crossed with some perseverance he will become a much happier pooch Thanks again. I also have him booked in at the vets on Saturday, fingers crossed he is just stroppy and not unwell. Thanks again!
    that is wonderful! Sounds like all this combined will help greatly if you see a change this quick. Remember.... They progress in steps and regress during the process. 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Just when you get confident that you have it figured out he will go back and discourage you some. Don't let it tho, this is just the process. Eventually he will get it and it will stick.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You are doing great. It will take time. They have to unlearn the bad and give in to the good behavior. Some are more stubborn, but like everything..the first steps are the hardest.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Vincent (vinnie)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again everyone. We have had a lovely weekend with Vinnie, although he is still testing the water with bad behaviour but I think he feels alot more content with the increased leadership i am trying to give him. The vet took some blood and said they would be doing some tests for thyroid and other bits but did point out that although he is now nearly 1 and a half, because of his poor past experiences and pure size he still very much has a puppy brain. We have been making sure that we are always at least walking by his side ( he will never be a walk behind you kinda dog), and walking through doors and stuff before him. We have also decided to keep him off the sofa as we realized he was using this as a power spot, always making sure he was sat between me and my partner, and basically traipsing all over us as he pleased. We bought a new lead (the cesar milan choker training leashe) which has proved a complete godsend as he hates when it gates tight and has very quickly learned to walk calmly next to us. He has been so much calmer that my boyfriend actually said it has been a pleasure owning him Still very early days but i can see that as long as we stay consistent we will succeed.

One slight question still, I am hand feeding him which is going well and he is no-longer snatching every bite, and been asking to do various things between each mouthful (sit, paw, lay down etc). I was also asking him to twizzle (turn around and sit down again), but he now does it whenever I am holding a treat. Its not an obsessive spin but more of a casual stroll in a circle. is this just because its a new 'trick' he has learnt or should i try to get him to stop doing it?

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I see nothing wrong with the twizzle (what a cute name) but they can get confused and do repetition of what they think you want. Mii doesn't do many tricks but she sits pretty and high 5s as 2 separate things and she started automatically doing them together which was driving me crazy. I just separated the tricks apart some and it helped her get it. So long as he is working for his meal and doing what you want is key. Obviously it sounds like he is working hard for it.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear things are getting better with Vinnie

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear things are going better
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Keep us posted.
    Lots of great advice. Nothing more to add.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Bulldog(s) Names
    Vincent (vinnie)
    Likes (Received)

Ok tonight vinny has taken a giant step back. Although he has always been less respectful of me he has always respected my boyfriend. Tonight he growled at me so we both stood up, put his leash on and walked him in to his crate. He then turned and snapped at my boyfriend in an aggressive manner. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know any good trainers in the New York area? Or we are going to have to look for a new home for him which I would hate but I'm starting to think he is just unhappy living in an apartment. This was the original reason we got an English bulldog as I was told they were good apartment dogs but he is more of an old English bulldog size and needs more running time, please any help.

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

My boy still gets a attitude like that but he is more of a backtalking fool. His eyes get a little wide eyed and no he's ob one... It takes time and a lot of persistants. Also what i find the key is consistentny is important and for both of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Let me tag @Davidh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads