URGENT!!! Female Bulldog harassing Male Neutered Rottie!

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
My 18 month old, Sadie, has begun to harass and "bully" my 4 year old neutered Rottie. She won't come in after her outside "mother nature" break. Instead, she waits at the backdoor until my Rottie comes. She growls and jumps and bites at his neck. This happens over and over again. I can't get her in and he becomes more and more anxious dancing and whining. Sometimes, he yelps in pain. I know enough to realize that this situation will end very badly for Sadie if I can't get her to stop this behavior. At times, she will chase him around the yard biting at his neck. Logan is a rescue and very anxious in general. He is a very submissive Rottie and loves to greet me at the backdoor which she will not allow. She will not allow anyone to give him any attention. Other than this, she is well behaved. She is great with her spayed bulldog companion. We have held off fixing Sadie because we are debating about breeding her next year. Any help would be great!

P.S. I rarely put harnesses or collars on her because they irritate her skin after awhile. However, this situation needs it along with advice.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
First, you need to put a collar on her so you can grab her off him. Try a fabric collar. I'm dealing with a more advanced case of the same thing. It will escalate and the rottie will get fed up and protect himself eventually. You could have a bloody mess on your hands if that happens. I had to neuter my male EB to see if that will calm him down otherwise I will have to rehome one or the other of the 2 dogs. I don't know if the neutering will work or not. Three weeks into it, it has not. My other dog - a neutered, male weighing 31 pounds has had enough and if they get a hold of one another both end up with broken skin. Luckily, I can pull them off one another buy their collars. However, at this point, If I lift Zam (the EB) off Zoltan (the Shorty) Zoltan gets lifted still hanging on to Zam's neck. Needless to say I try to be very careful to keep them in separate rooms.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Having loved a Rottie that was also a rescue and very submissive..they will take so much. You need to put Sadie on a leash and take control back from her. She follows you at all times and NEVER do you allow her to "bully" anything. You give a correcting pull on her collar and sternly correct her. I would make her sit and she will be the LAST one in and out.

Do you walk them together? This is a great way to show her her place in the pack. Use it for correction and be consistent. No More of this behavior.

As far as her "not allowing" ANYTHING...NO! She doesn't decide anything! I would crate her and when you arrive home..she can come out in a calm controlled way.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You definitely need to get a handle on it quickly. As [MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] said you need to put a collar on her and I would put a leash on her too when taking them outside together to keep her from attacking him. When you get inside you can take the collar off, but need to stay on her anytime she goes after him. Grab her and submit her when she attacks him. When you give him attention make her stay away. You need to show her you are the alpha, by making her go through the door after you. make her work for food and affection, and feed her last. Make her wait until the others have eaten then feed her. I hope this helps. Plus here is a good article to read about breeding bulldogs.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=291-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes&

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've rec'd great advice above.... good luck

OP
daphne18

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I bought a fabric collar this morning and I will give all the advice a try. I don't understand why she is singling him out for the abuse. This afternoon, I will begin. :pray:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I bought a fabric collar this morning and I will give all the advice a try. I don't understand why she is singling him out for the abuse. This afternoon, I will begin. :pray:

Shes simply showing dominance over him. It's not personal with dogs. Because YOU aren't her pack leader....YET.....she is establishing her place...once you show her YOU are the top dog...she won't feel the need to dominate him..after all..she will NEVER be top dog.

OP
daphne18

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Sadie and I had our first training session yesterday. Boy, is she ever a tough girl. She would not relent with firm talk and leash tugging. After I grabbed her cheeks and firmly tugged at them, she began to respond. Then, I gave her liver treats for positive reinforcement. Finally, success! By the end of the evening, I was able to let her off leash. She would look like she was going to attack, but after I said no, she laid down and began doing something else. I am encouraged to see her respond. I know I will have to keep it up for awhile, but such improvement in one session is great!!! I also made sure she went through the door after me. I have already trained her to hand feed. We have been doing this since she was a small puppy.

Thanks everyone for the much needed advice. It was invaluable!!!:2thumbs: Of course, if there are any other suggestions, I would like to hear them.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sadie and I had our first training session yesterday. Boy, is she ever a tough girl. She would not relent with firm talk and leash tugging. After I grabbed her cheeks and firmly tugged at them, she began to respond. Then, I gave her liver treats for positive reinforcement. Finally, success! By the end of the evening, I was able to let her off leash. She would look like she was going to attack, but after I said no, she laid down and began doing something else. I am encouraged to see her respond. I know I will have to keep it up for awhile, but such improvement in one session is great!!! I also made sure she went through the door after me. I have already trained her to hand feed. We have been doing this since she was a small puppy.

Thanks everyone for the much needed advice. It was invaluable!!!:2thumbs: Of course, if there are any other suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Yay! Good start! Just know this is a long process. I would leash her and watch her like a hawk for a minimum of 2 weeks. Then slowly let her prove herself. if she retreats she starts over again. She will catch on..but she WILL test you! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.