Other Biting Inhibition

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I just wanted to share this awesome article I found on the web regarding biting inhibition. (puppies and beyond)
http://shibashake.com/dog/puppy-biting-how-to-stop-puppy-biting

I have been struggling with Remi in his puppy stage with accidental, and intentional biting. The isolation technique I find to be most effective, and the yipping (loud and high pitched) for the accidental nip.

There are some great tips like not engaging in tug of war, and other excitable activities that may heighten any biting tendencies.

I think it's really important to read if you're having issues. It really puts your mind at ease. I was beginning to think my dog was aggressive and insane. Nope, just being a puppy!!

Enjoy.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GREAT find!!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks guys! I just know that is something I was struggling with and can give worry worts like me a false feeling that they have an aggressive bully.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
That is good advice. Much of it has been given here in the forum in one place or another by our seasoned bully folks but its good here all in one place. Thanks. Should be required reading by all new bully parents

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
That is good advice. Much of it has been given here in the forum in one place or another by our seasoned bully folks but its good here all in one place. Thanks. Should be required reading by all new bully parents

I agree. Many of the veterans here must have total gems as dogs, because the only thing which has worked for me is isolation in most cases. Also the pitch of the yelp is important. If you just give some feeble yelp, the dog will totally ignore you.

#moregoodadvice!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Also I have to admit, I've never played tug o war with my bully's . I had heard long ago it's not a good thing with this breed.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Also I have to admit, I've never played tug o war with my bully's . I had heard long ago it's not a good thing with this breed.

I agree absolutely - unless you have the "leave it" or "drop it" command down 100% solid.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] How old is Remi? Rumble is 7 1/2 months and still biting like a terror. A lot of the time he will be good but then he gets in these modes where all he wants to do is bite. I'm just concerned about how long I can use the "well he is a puppy" excuse with my husband who is losing patience with the situation.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@ModernFemme How old is Remi? Rumble is 7 1/2 months and still biting like a terror. A lot of the time he will be good but then he gets in these modes where all he wants to do is bite. I'm just concerned about how long I can use the "well he is a puppy" excuse with my husband who is losing patience with the situation.

Remi is 10.5 months. The best thing I can recommend is to put him in his crate, don't say a word, and leave the room for at least 30 minutes. It was the only thing that calmed Remi down. He can still sometimes act insane, but it's soooo less frequent now. Hang in there!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Great article!!! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online