crate training puppy basics

NewAccount2013

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
LeRoy
Hi all,

I have a five month old puppy. I originally wasn't going to crate train as I have never done it before but since potty training is going slowly, I am wondering if maybe i should give it a shot.

I've introduced the puppy to the crate, the puppy goes in and out freely. I gave him a few snacks. I put him in there for a few minutes art a time and he seems to be ok. I will try to do it again for a few hours.

However, ideally, I would like to keep him in there while I am at work (since he chews and soils around the apt). However, I doubt that he can hold it in for 8 to 9 hours at this time.

Can someone give me some tips. Should I started with crating him overnight? I googled the topic and found many different and contradictory tips online. Thanks everyone!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! This is a link to an online free dog magazine. They were full of great info and helped me so much as Jake was the first pup we crate trained ...there are lots of great topics..

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html

One thing..at his age , the longest he can hold it is 5-6 hours..they say 1 hour for each month of age..plus an hour. I would start on the low side.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I have crate trained Colossus, well as much as you can a four month old puppy. We have just started having nights out, so far so good. Im in the same situation as the OP as I work too far from the house to go home at lunch. He has had a few mis-haps during the days (VERY sporadic), but so far at nights its been good.

Last edited:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
This is what we did for our pup now 5 months old. We set up his crate with a play pen so he would have a fenced in area to move around in. Never lay a potty pad in the crate if you have too lay it in the play pen area. We left toys inside the play pen and right before leaving for the day would give him a frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter, peas, apples and biscuts. Inside his crate he had his bed and a sippy water bottle. This worked out great for us. Now he has the run of the house and so far so good :D

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Our biggest problem potty training Stella was giving her too much room in the crate. She's very petite and when laying down she only takes up 1/2 the crate so she would potty in the other half and could still be away from it. When we moved the divider so she had just enough room to lie down it helped quite a bit. If she was gonna have to sleep in there she wasn't gonna potty in there!

I would crate your pup overnight but be prepared for those middle of the night and early am potty trips!

Good luck with it...potty training is an adventure. Lol

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
The biggest thing is to make it fun for the pup. I have High Value treats that Kiah only gets in the crate. You can feed him in there as well, always associating it with good experiences. We've gone from being scared of the crate to her choosing it over her bed when I'm busy working at my desk. Now when i'm not typing away and i'm in the recliner or up and about, that's another story :D

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Hi all,

I have a five month old puppy. I originally wasn't going to crate train as I have never done it before but since potty training is going slowly, I am wondering if maybe i should give it a shot.

I've introduced the puppy to the crate, the puppy goes in and out freely. I gave him a few snacks. I put him in there for a few minutes art a time and he seems to be ok. I will try to do it again for a few hours.

However, ideally, I would like to keep him in there while I am at work (since he chews and soils around the apt). However, I doubt that he can hold it in for 8 to 9 hours at this time.

Can someone give me some tips. Should I started with crating him overnight? I googled the topic and found many different and contradictory tips online. Thanks everyone!

It's up to you and what you want and to consider that each dog is an individual and not all respond in the same way. But I think you can go ahead and try your dog all night in the crate. You can set your alarm and rise early at first so he is only in the crate maybe 6 hours or so and then go from there. As far as while you are at work if you or someone you know could let him out at noon for a bit where he can potty and move around and then put him back in till you get home after work it would probably work out fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online