Help Needed! Hugo just turns vicious

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
After dinner Hugo was hanging out in his bed and chewing his bone. He must be bored so he started to tear up his new bed. Daddy yelled at Hugo and that is when Hugo turned vicious and barked and wanted to bite Daddy. We were doing so well for the last 4 months. All of the sudden we are going back to the punky Hugo of the first 2 months. I am so sad. I don't know what has happened?? Daddy had to set his kennel back up so Hugo could have his time out! Please help me with your advice and input. Thank you

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm not the best with training but he's probably go through the pushing his boundaries phase. It's pretty normal for them to do this. Reestablish your training, hand feed, learning drop it, work on commands at least 15 minutes a day, make him work for his food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with Lisa..if he acts up..go to basics. Immediately reclaim the space he is claiming and reassert who is boss. No yelling or anything..do it with your calm and stern self.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
How old is Hugo? We have been having similar issues with Rumble who is 6 1/2 months old. Our trainer stated that he could be getting in the last of his teeth and also going through a teenager stage where he just doesn't want to listen. Rumble will be fine and then you can see it in his eyes and you know that he is going to pounce and try to bite it is just a matter of when. When this happens in our house we have found the only thing that will calm him down is a brief time in his kennel. We usually try for 3 to 5 minutes and then let him back out. This typically takes about 4 tries before he figures out that if he comes out and bites again that he will get put back in his kennel. Besides those "moods" he has done well with training so this has been the only solution that we have found that works. We have also noticed that it typically happens when he is really tired but is fighting sleep.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
When he's out of control use am old, empty Lean Cuisine box.
We give the box a short, sharp shot to make it pop.
Put's the fear of God into our 6 month Walley-Bubba every time.
He settles down immediatly.
Much more effective than yelling - no guilt trips for us yelling either!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree, just go back to basics. If you had something working for you before, just go back to that. They retest us at diff times thinking they maybe able to get one upon us. Usually once you go back to the basics they will get back in line.

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you everybody! We rescued Hugo about 6 months ago. Hugo is going to turn 4 in May. We understand he is going to test us every now and then. Daddy set his kernel back up last night and put Hugo back in time out all last night. Daddy just let Hugo out to walk him a few minutes ago and Hugo was back to his sweet little self again. He wiggles his butt, he sits and he shakes without even any command from us. The boy does know to work us. Should we still give him the 'stern treatment' at least for today? Or you think he already understood?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you everybody! We rescued Hugo about 6 months ago. Hugo is going to turn 4 in May. We understand he is going to test us every now and then. Daddy set his kernel back up last night and put Hugo back in time out all last night. Daddy just let Hugo out to walk him a few minutes ago and Hugo was back to his sweet little self again. He wiggles his butt, he sits and he shakes without even any command from us. The boy does know to work us. Should we still give him the 'stern treatment' at least for today? Or you think he already understood?

Absolutely feel free to lavishly LOVE ON him, today & everyday!

Dogs live 'in the moment' so should we...Hugo has let it go and today
is a brand new day.

Use calm, stern & consistent whenever he acts out but once he's back
to good (and pleasing you) then show him w/praise & treats.

GOD bless you for rescuing Hugo.
:clap2:

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you Carol:) Hugo got his breakfast with treats and now he is back in his other bed in our bedroom next to our bed ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366823476.403209.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Absolutely feel free to lavishly LOVE ON him, today & everyday!

Dogs live 'in the moment' so should we...Hugo has let it go and today
is a brand new day.

Use calm, stern & consistent whenever he acts out but once he's back
to good (and pleasing you) then show him w/praise & treats.

GOD bless you for rescuing Hugo.
:clap2:

I totally agree ...... once it's over it really IS over in a bullys head. They won't lie there and relive the event in their heads .. it's gone and all they do is look forward.

Today is a new day and tomorrow should be forgotton!!

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Yes..he is happily snoring away right next to me:) thank you thank you for all of the advices. I knew exactly where to go for advices teeheehee

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes..he is happily snoring away right next to me:) thank you thank you for all of the advices. I knew exactly where to go for advices teeheehee

You may want to keep is crate/pen up with the door open... let him go in and out freely, it may be someting he needs to give himself some alone time.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You may want to keep is crate/pen up with the door open... let him go in and out freely, it may be someting he needs to give himself some alone time.

It's true. When there's a lot of activity in the house and Bea is overwhelmed, she'll go get in her bed. She knows that's HER SAFE/HAPPY/SLEEP/FART/WHATEVER ZONE!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.