Help Needed! Hugo just turns vicious

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
When we are home, Hugo just wants to be with us in our bedroom. We took down his kennel because he rarely uses it anymore. He likes to sleep in his first bed instead. When we are at work, he sleeps in his first bed in the living room. When we are at home, he wants to sleep right next to us in his second bed. Hugo has beds set up everywhere in the house. :):):)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, this will probably not be the popular answer but when one of mine decides to try to bit me I take what they have away from them right then and there and get my duct taped, reinforced, rolled up newspaper and they get a swat or two on their butt end. Not hard to hurt but enough to let them know this behavior is not acceptable. I never use the crate for time out because I don't want to confuse them and want the crate to be a positive experience and safe heaven for them. The swat usually ends up with them running to their crate and looking out at me......then I firmly tell them no, bad dog.....which usually ends up with them looking down at the ground. I wait about 5 minutes and call them over and we make up......usually get a toy and play to let them know we are back to good graces. Most of the time a firm "NO" will suffice but on the "rare" occasion it does not I have had to resort to the newspaper. I hope everything works out, good luck!

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Well, this will probably not be the popular answer but when one of mine decides to try to bit me I take what they have away from them right then and there and get my duct taped, reinforced, rolled up newspaper and they get a swat or two on their butt end. Not hard to hurt but enough to let them know this behavior is not acceptable. I never use the crate for time out because I don't want to confuse them and want the crate to be a positive experience and safe heaven for them. The swat usually ends up with them running to their crate and looking out at me......then I firmly tell them no, bad dog.....which usually ends up with them looking down at the ground. I wait about 5 minutes and call them over and we make up......usually get a toy and play to let them know we are back to good graces. Most of the time a firm "NO" will suffice but on the "rare" occasion it does not I have had to resort to the newspaper. I hope everything works out, good luck!

Hugo always runs into his kennel because that is his safe haven. Since the overnight time out, Hugo has been super sweet and back to being a good son! When we let him out for his walk, Hugo was so happy and kissing up to Daddy:) and yes we do roll up a magazine to use but we rarely need to use it.

stephannerobles

Apr 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Khloe (female) Bettis aKa Fattie (male)
After dinner Hugo was hanging out in his bed and chewing his bone. He must be bored so he started to tear up his new bed. Daddy yelled at Hugo and that is when Hugo turned vicious and barked and wanted to bite Daddy. We were doing so well for the last 4 months. All of the sudden we are going back to the punky Hugo of the first 2 months. I am so sad. I don't know what has happened?? Daddy had to set his kennel back up so Hugo could have his time out! Please help me with your advice and input. Thank you

My baby Fattie did that once to me and I've had him since 3months. U did the right thing by the time out. Honestly all night is kinda long. He forgot why he was in there after 30 mins. Then he's thinking where r they and he wants to b with u. If u just got him 6 months ago i'm sure he's felt at hm for a while since he's adopted. U got to learn him and he has to learn u. U would think 6 months is long enough but he's 4 and a lot could have happened in that time. U'll do fine. I just wouldn't do the time out to long. Very glad to hear that u gave him his forever home. Every dog needs that and their BFF :-)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well, this will probably not be the popular answer but when one of mine decides to try to bit me I take what they have away from them right then and there and get my duct taped, reinforced, rolled up newspaper and they get a swat or two on their butt end.

You're right. It's not. :D

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
My baby Fattie did that once to me and I've had him since 3months. U did the right thing by the time out. Honestly all night is kinda long. He forgot why he was in there after 30 mins. Then he's thinking where r they and he wants to b with u. If u just got him 6 months ago i'm sure he's felt at hm for a while since he's adopted. U got to learn him and he has to learn u. U would think 6 months is long enough but he's 4 and a lot could have happened in that time. U'll do fine. I just wouldn't do the time out to long. Very glad to hear that u gave him his forever home. Every dog needs that and their BFF :-)

We definitely are learning about each other! That is why we were so shocked and saddened at his "temperament"😊that night! I know all night was long but he needed to sleep anyway and calmed himself down. Hugo is all good now! He knows who is alpha in the house alright...lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367194223.724083.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367194239.895220.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367194256.571803.jpg

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
You're right. It's not. :D

Teeheehee I don't think they feel any pain from the swat. I think they are more scared of the noise from the magazine being hit on the surface!

Most Reactions