Puppy Advice

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Hi everyone, we just brought home Gus on Friday! I am definitely noticing that he has several quirks that my lab and my hubby's beagle never had, hahaha. He is SO endearing but he is different so I hoped you guys here with experience may have some words of wisdom.

First off, he hates his harness. I mean, he flips out if I try to put it on him. And he flips out if I clip the leash to it. I never drag him or really force him to walk beyond his desire since he is only 9 weeks old, but I have to leash him for potty time so I am trying to figure out if I could be doing this differently.

By the way, for his age, he is doing GREAT at potty time! :-D

Secondly, does anyone have any advice how to get him to walk up and down the stairs? LOL. I won't be able to carry him much longer. He just barks like a maniac if I go up and try to call him.

He does this kind of head butt thing that is really amusing to me. I never had a dog who would try to get my attention by head butting my legs. Is this a bully thing?

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok here's my advice, not all you will love!

Keep the harness on and let him get used to it. Attach the leash for 10 minutes throughout the day even when not going outside. Again just getting him used to the evil leash.

For the stairs, This is the part you're not going to like, I recommend that you don't allow him to use stairs until he gets to the point where you can no longer carry him. When they are young their little bones are very soft and can cause permanent damage to their joints going downstairs. If it's possible, it is best to not let them use stairs for as long as you possibly can, even forever. If they're short quick stairs it should be okay, but if they are steep it is not advised.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace balked at the harness too at first. Gus is still small enough where you can get it on him so whether he likes it or not put it on him when you are going to use it. If he lays down stand him back up, give him a treat, if he lays back down and is balking stand him up and give him a treat and repeat. He will learn pretty quickly. Same for walking him on leash, keep him moving and give a treat every few steps, coax him with a treat to take a few steps and keep him going on it. The ole carrot on a stick idea. Although I don't have many steps for Ace to go up and down I think the idea is the same. Once you get Gus accustomed to walking on the leash he will go up the steps as well. By the way Welcome to EBN

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:)

Jake hated the harness for months! We had to chase and corner him to place him in it! It took 2 grown humans to wrestle a harness on one Bully pup! :eek: Just keep at it..and you got good advice about a little bit every day. We also put a collar on Jake when he was housebound as a pup...and let him drag the leash around in the house. We don't use a collar to walk but figured he needed to get the feel of it and the leash anyway!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ok here's my advice, not all you will love!

Keep the harness on and let him get used to it. Attach the leash for 10 minutes throughout the day even when not going outside. Again just getting him used to the evil leash.

For the stairs, This is the part you're not going to like, I recommend that you don't allow him to use stairs until he gets to the point where you can no longer carry him. When they are young their little bones are very soft and can cause permanent damage to their joints going downstairs. If it's possible, it is best to not let them use stairs for as long as you possibly can, even forever. If they're short quick stairs it should be okay, but if they are steep it is not advised.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

When I was reading your original post I had my answer all planned out in my head .. then I scroll down and find that Lisa has STOLEN all my ideas!! :mad:

So .... :goodpost:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Remember too that when you first put the harness or collar or leash on them, there will be a GIANT OUTBURST of "I hate this thing!" DIRECTLY BEFORE THEY GIVE UP COMPLETELY. Be patient! Wait for that moment!

Pretty soon, he'll connect getting harnessed/collared/leashed with all the fun things that happen afterward (treats, walks, visits, new sniffs) and he'll be bugging you to put it on him!

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
I carried my bully up and down the steps for several months, then he just started to go on his own.

Most Reactions