Help Needed! bitting, growing and aggressive

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
ItalianKid was where you are now and he went to his vet and the vet recommended this View attachment 41209it is called a Kong Squeezz stick for his dog to chew on and it changed his relationship with his dog.

I personally like the spray bottle and the can of coins to stop unwanted behavior but to potty train hooking yourself to your bully with a leash will work like nothing else you just have to be patient.

I almost gotten squeeze stick the other day. I find that rotating toys helps and since Ki isn't afraid of a squeaker now, we.might have a new high value reward...

OP
winston119

winston119

Mar 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone. The pennies in the can did not work..lol...he has shown intrest in the can and jumps to catch it. The spray bottle on the other hand is working...lol.. my poor baby was soaked yesterday...but i think he is learning.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I am sooooooooooooo glad I found this thread!!!! I too am going thru this with Dooley big time. And its only been 4 days!!!! I am all he wants to chew on. He has $50 worth of new toys (that he has zero interest in, ZERO) and my big toe is what he seems to live for..... lol. Every chance he gets he is trying to bite it. He is only 8 1/2 weeks so we don't venture out but only to potty. Which he has taken to greatly btw, so I will take that good with the bad. So distracting him with the outside world is a no go at this point.

Man I have a long road ahead of me.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
:yes: True Puppy Behaviour as Sherry said. I would work on the housebreaking right now! He should not be peeing everywhere without learning it's wrong. I'm sure you're trying all the normal housebreaking rules..
1. Outside every 45 min to an hour
2. Outside after eating and playing
3. No roaming freely throughout the house when out of his crate.
4. Praise ànd reward when he goes outside (accident or not)

If, you've been doing all of these, and he is still being Bully Stubborn..then it's time for the serious stuff.

Keep him on a leash inside the house, at all times. He will be your shadow! Where you go...he goes. Watch him like a hawk nd at the very first sign of peing or pooing..give a slight tug on his lead while in our sternest voice..use your NO word! Take him IMMEDIATELY out to his designated potty area. When he goes..time for high praise. This sounds like a pain in the ummmm...rear. ;). But believe me..a couple weeks of this and a properly trained dog, beats the crap out of a lifetime of bad habits!

While on a leash, if you need to be separated from him, first take him out to potty. Then in his crate. And when you are finished...right back on his leash and at your side.

The biting and growling is him trying to play. The coins in the can does work but often the effectiveness wears off. I would use my stern no word and keep redirecting him to a chew toy,etc. being on a leash should help this too. His level of excitement will be lower and use the gentle tug to correct if he bites, etc.

Its a bit overwhelming especially if you've not had a pup before...but this is the foundation to a well behaved member of your Family! Good Luck...and remember..THIS is all temporary...his love is forever! :)
excellent advice above.....
REPETITION....REPETITION.....REPETITION :D

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Well, anyone here can attest that I thought I got the spawn of satan when Bogey was younger. If it weren't for the folks here telling me this was normal, he will outgrow it and my wounds would heal, I may have run away myself!! THEY WERE RIGHT! But to get to that point, it was frustrating, painful and downright horrible at times!! Finding what works is an ongoing event! Bogey loved the spray bottle, got used to the coins in a can, ignored redirection, and almost laughed at us when we "yelped" or said "no". Seriously. I was sure I had the dog from hell!
But, persistance, patience, seeking advice and trial and error all paid off. The one thing I found was putting him in his crate when he could not be redirected, was my Godsend! He did not like being away from us and he was not allowed out until he was completely calm, which was never more than 5 minutes. The other thing I learned was that when he was tired or over stimulated, the biting got worse. I would crate him during the day just to make him nap- he was usually out cold within 3 minutes. When he woke, he was so gentle and loving. Until the next time..... We also took him on nightly walks, either in a wagon before his shots kicked in, or on his leash when he was old enough. We tossed treats so he would run and tire out. This really will go away before you do!! Hang in ther and research the threads on behavior issues. They are so helpful!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am new here and my pup is even younger than yours, but I thought I would throw in one thing we have been doing. Do you have any friends who have dogs who are known to be friendly and fully vaccinated? Our neighbor has a Papillion that is a real sweetheart and is fully vetted so I try to arrange even a 20 minute play date every chance I get. I also want him socialized well, so I figure it is worth the (minimal) risk. My in laws have an American Bulldog and she is very gentle with him, too. We also have a large natural conservation area near my home that has long walking trails and very few dogs. I let him walk a bit and then I pull him in my kid's wagon (lol) and if any other dog owners approach, I just smile and call out and say "We'll come say hi next time we see you, he still needs one more round of shots!" I figure that the chances of him getting sick are pretty minimal there compared to, say, a public park, and he gets to see people on bikes, kids in strollers, joggers, etc. from an early age. Just throwing that out there if it helps you to get ideas to exercise him. I know if our Gus wasn't properly tired, he would be a lot more work!!!

Great post!

"A Good Pup is a Tired Pup" :yes:

Don't let that pant chasing thing go. Disagree with the behavior and redirect that energy to something positive. I lost a dog in childhood in this way. I've recounted the painful story before here so I won't go into detail.

Bo learned how to "High Five" during one of our "redirecting bad behavior" sessions around here. I forget what he was doing now that brought on the sudden training session but it sure worked. He's a High Fivin' fool now. Gives them to anyone who asks. LOL YouTube has all kinds of videos on how to teach a dog this or that. That's how we did it. Just copied a video.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.