Help Needed! bitting, growing and aggressive

winston119

Mar 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi all,

This is my first real post. I have been searching for an answer for my questions and figure i should just add a post.

My little Winston is 3 months old..so cute...We love him very much.

So here is the problem. We do not let him run free in the house becuase he pees ALL THE TIME and he attacks our legs and shoes. When he is in the house he is in his crate/cage and when he is nice we will play with him.

The past few weeks he keeps attacking our shoes and pants and will not let go. he gets really angry and starts growling and tries to bite us. i try walking aways but his grip is so string. I try to push him of and get him to let go and lunges at me. I think he thinks we are playing but we are just trying to not get bitten.

The past few days we started spraying ourselves with apple bitter seemed to work for a bit but now he does not mind the smell/taste and goes straight to the plants.

We really want him to be able to be around us but he keeps attacking us. the only thing that will keep him from attacking is food.

We read he needs exercise but he does not have all his shots so can't be outside and he cannot play with any other dogs for another month or so.

Don't get me wrong he is not always attacking us - he does let us pet him and brush his teeth and play with him about 3/4 the time..

We are just running out of band-aids and need help.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would fill up a tin can with pennies and shake the heck out of it everytime he does something naughty. It will catch him off guard and probably freak him out a little but hopefully he will associate the penny noise with a bad behavior.

Just remember...puppies are cute so we can get through the god awful potty training/behavior training days. Seeing the cute little face looking at you makes it worth while. :)

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
so funny, I was just going to post something similiar as winston did. I am not used to having a puppy(devil child). We have always had a no puppy rule and in a moment of weakness it was broken. Always had boxers so I thought I was used to the bully breed. This little dude gets SO ferouisous(butchered the spelling) that some of my guests are afraid of him. I get in his face and tell him to leave it or stop and make him sit but trust me it takes a lot. I was going to ask about the coins in the can. I used to hear mixed reviews that you could really freak them out so I never tried it. I am thinking I am going to have to try it to nip this behavior in the bud.
I also want to note that Ernie is 16.5 weeks and still makes no effort to go to the door(I am extremely well trained on getting him out the door on the hour and after play, nap, etc...but I would like to see just ONE effort on his part. Please keep telling me that something will click in his brain and he will get it.
Also another note...we still have no butt wiggle. REally want the butt wiggle.
Winston...sorry...did not mean to hijack your post.:no:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is being a true puppy... since you say he does not have all his shots I would assume he is under 16 weeks - correct? This is all part of the puppy phase along with the shark teeth... one thing to try is a spray bottle with water in it and squirt him along with a firm NO when he is doing something you disagree with. I am going to tag some members with recent puppy experience to help you as well.

Good luck and stay consistent

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Puppies NEED exercise , but not to exhaustion , several times a day train them to walk on a leash in your yard. Start training behavior, sit, come, down, no, etc. I tried the coin can,I didn't like it. I prefer alternate the behavior in other words distract them from biting by rolling a ball or playing fetch.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree that this is normal bulldog puppy behavior. Probably few in this forum have not gone through this very same thing to one degree or another with their pup. He will grow out of it, bit by bit or bite by bite. As already mentioned, give a firm NO and redirect to something he is allowed to chew or tug on. Hang in there, its frustrating now as all heck but he will get over it especially as he loses his puppy teeth and replaced with his adult teeth

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Coins in a can!!! Was our saviour then and still works for unwanted behaviour to this day. It was the only thing that would break Tonkas concentration. When he has his shots make sure he gets a ton of excersice. When tonka was little he went to daycare for a full day mid week every wednesday. If he didn't - you could tell. His behaviour was much worse. He still goes to day-care and LOVES it, just not as often as my work schedule changed. We also do out best to take him everywhere we can and tire him out on the weekends. A tired puppy is a happy puppy lol and it makes for happy owners :p

OP
winston119

winston119

Mar 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank everyone for the posts. I will try the penny thing. I have tried the water bottle thing and he liked it...lol.. He loves other people it is just me and my BF he does this too. He is 14 1/2 weeks.

We started last week with the leash we will keep on that. He does sit and somewhat stays...

His face is so cute that i can't be mad at him.....we will make it through.

Thanks all.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:yes: True Puppy Behaviour as Sherry said. I would work on the housebreaking right now! He should not be peeing everywhere without learning it's wrong. I'm sure you're trying all the normal housebreaking rules..
1. Outside every 45 min to an hour
2. Outside after eating and playing
3. No roaming freely throughout the house when out of his crate.
4. Praise ànd reward when he goes outside (accident or not)

If, you've been doing all of these, and he is still being Bully Stubborn..then it's time for the serious stuff.

Keep him on a leash inside the house, at all times. He will be your shadow! Where you go...he goes. Watch him like a hawk nd at the very first sign of peing or pooing..give a slight tug on his lead while in our sternest voice..use your NO word! Take him IMMEDIATELY out to his designated potty area. When he goes..time for high praise. This sounds like a pain in the ummmm...rear. ;). But believe me..a couple weeks of this and a properly trained dog, beats the crap out of a lifetime of bad habits!

While on a leash, if you need to be separated from him, first take him out to potty. Then in his crate. And when you are finished...right back on his leash and at your side.

The biting and growling is him trying to play. The coins in the can does work but often the effectiveness wears off. I would use my stern no word and keep redirecting him to a chew toy,etc. being on a leash should help this too. His level of excitement will be lower and use the gentle tug to correct if he bites, etc.

Its a bit overwhelming especially if you've not had a pup before...but this is the foundation to a well behaved member of your Family! Good Luck...and remember..THIS is all temporary...his love is forever! :)

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thank everyone for the posts. I will try the penny thing. I have tried the water bottle thing and he liked it...lol.. He loves other people it is just me and my BF he does this too. He is 14 1/2 weeks.

We started last week with the leash we will keep on that. He does sit and somewhat stays...

His face is so cute that i can't be mad at him.....we will make it through.

Thanks all.

Hi and welcome to EBN! You have some great advice above and yeppers it's normal puppyness. :)

In the last 2 years I have been through 3 puppies and let me just say, OMG! :bigeyes: The pennies in a can works really well overall and keeps you from yelling their name. The water bottle works for my non bully Jack but not Emma (she welcomes it as her own personal water fountain). She loves the coin in the can too. She's an odd one. Be persistent when he's growling. Play growling to a point is ok, but you have to let him know where the line is. I made it point when Jack and Wilson were pups, and even to this day, to break up their play so it never got out of control. They do fight from time to time but over all they're not allowed to escalate to a point of high excitement their play.

You Winston is so cute!

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I am new here and my pup is even younger than yours, but I thought I would throw in one thing we have been doing. Do you have any friends who have dogs who are known to be friendly and fully vaccinated? Our neighbor has a Papillion that is a real sweetheart and is fully vetted so I try to arrange even a 20 minute play date every chance I get. I also want him socialized well, so I figure it is worth the (minimal) risk. My in laws have an American Bulldog and she is very gentle with him, too. We also have a large natural conservation area near my home that has long walking trails and very few dogs. I let him walk a bit and then I pull him in my kid's wagon (lol) and if any other dog owners approach, I just smile and call out and say "We'll come say hi next time we see you, he still needs one more round of shots!" I figure that the chances of him getting sick are pretty minimal there compared to, say, a public park, and he gets to see people on bikes, kids in strollers, joggers, etc. from an early age. Just throwing that out there if it helps you to get ideas to exercise him. I know if our Gus wasn't properly tired, he would be a lot more work!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
OH the joys of puppy-dom!!!! :*( Hell and Heaven all wrapped up in adorable cuteness!!

You've been given an assortment of great advice so I won't add to it!! All I can say is that they do grow out of it ........ somehow and at some point. Then you are just left with the average stubborn bully!!! Who will rule you and have you wrapped around their little paw!!! :luv:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
ItalianKid was where you are now and he went to his vet and the vet recommended this kong squeezz stick italian kid 94.jpgit is called a Kong Squeezz stick for his dog to chew on and it changed his relationship with his dog.

I personally like the spray bottle and the can of coins to stop unwanted behavior but to potty train hooking yourself to your bully with a leash will work like nothing else you just have to be patient.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online