Help Needed! The Humping Bulldog

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I figured I would come here for some assistance with my 7 1/2 month bulldog. I have a 7 year old male Pug and my Bulldog is constantly trying to mate my Pug. The Pug runs away and snaps at him until he tires himself out. When that happens the Bulldog tries to hump him or he lays on top of him and the Pug is too tired to get the weight of the Bulldog off of him. Now what is funny whenever the EB sees any other dog he instantly goes into a submissive position by laying down. He does this no matter the size of the other dog. I have tried a few different things, keeping him on a leash and pulling him away, or letting them fight it out hoping he would get the hint from the Pug. Are there any methods someone could suggest to limit this issue? I plan on getting him neutered but he is in the middle of puppy training class so I have to wait until the sessions are over before having the procedure.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Your bully is showing dominance over your pug. Getting him neutered "should" help with this humping issue (doesn't always but in my case it's helped considerably). In the meantime, when you see Dozer doing this to your pug, tell him a firm NO and when he does get off of him, give him a treat. Others will be coming on soon enough to give their advice.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
When the ladies were in training class, we were encouraged to bring up any issues we had. Do they do that in your training? I use a firm, "Leave It" and they stop humping the cat. I get a bit of the stink eye and a snort, but they stop.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is up to you to stop this behavior. I get up and tell him "NO" and if he still does it I will push him off and tell him "NO" again. After awhile he should get the hint and as soon as you see him looking like he is going to hump, say "NO" and loud. This has worked with mine.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
When the ladies were in training class, we were encouraged to bring up any issues we had. Do they do that in your training? I use a firm, "Leave It" and they stop humping the cat. I get a bit of the stink eye and a snort, but they stop.

Yes they do the same at his training class. The reason I came here is because two instructors gave different answers. One said use know and add separating them or put Dozer in a brief timeout. The other said let them go because it will allow the Pug to be able to fend for himself and would not be reserved to depending on me to intervene. I figured if I came here to a wider audience I would get a better consensus of answers.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tell them no... Banks (EBD) is 62lbs and Cheli (Frenchie) 20lbs will attempt to hump Banks (funny as all heck), but Banks will have none of it and correct Cheli. Banks will also try to hump Cheli, but all we do is give a very firm NO and she stops. it really is up to you to control when in your home and you are alpha

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:yes: Good advise.

Bo was a humper too. Occasionally he will relapse LOL. He does it out of over-excitement - but it doesn't matter - I don't want that behavior so he's strongly discouraged from doing it. Because over excitement is his trigger, I watch those situations carefully that tend to put him "over the edge", so to speak. I don't ever want to set him up for failure, right?

One of the things that will do it is rough play with his friend Jonathan. He ADORES Jonathan and if they play for a sustained period of time, Bo will try to hump him. Jonathan is a smart kid and good with dogs, so he disagrees with the behavior (his version is yelling NO!) and he will stop the play completely until Bo has calmed down. Bo wants to play so its a passive way of saying "Hump? No play." Bo gets it. Bo is 2 years 3 months old now and it's improved GREATLY over time and will continue to do so as long as myself and Jonathan are iron clad consistent.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.