URGENT!!! Gretchen's behavior has gotten worse

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
She started doing really well but not she does bad things then goes to hide and if u get near her she bites u and growls. Tonight she went after the cat over and over. She had stopped. She now goes out on the deck and pees versus ground. She just randomly decides to nip for no reason. This has gotten very overwhelming and hard to understand what I can do. She's just more like a big child with horrible issues. What's your suggestion. I have tried alot of different approaches. If she does something wrong and hides under the table. Well that's no acceptable to me. I don't let my kids get away with that. I can't afford a trainer like I would love to be able too. Please help .

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I was so hoping she would be coming around. I hope you can continue with getting her to trust you with calmness and quiet. sometimes a bully will want attention, any kind of attention will satisfy them. even if its bad. please try to be patient and gain her trust, feed her by hand. her entire meal if you must. go through the doorway first, make her wait. you have your meal first. above all, talk quietly to her, don't holler or shout. please it can turn ugly if she feels threatened

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sheery gave you great tips/info.... look up on the web...'Nothing in Life is Free (NILF)' this is a great training tool which will help you gain her trust, this along with feeding her by hand, take her for walks ( a tired bully is a good bully) and most of all be patient and calm. she will feed off of you tension, nervousness or anxiety.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sure hoping it works out, it can take time to gain trust but when it happens
it is amazing!

Will continue to pray over her and your family, keep us posted.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I don't understand her. Some days she is perfect. Others it's a hot mess. How do I get her to listen and know I'm boss not her. Stop on command?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
That kind of deep, trusting relationship takes time to cultivate. It's hard to know what Gretchen's real deal is without seeing her and her humans in action. That hiding under the table thing? That's an outcome of fear. As long as she exhibits fear behaviors, you'll never have the trusting "stop on command" relationship you're wanting.

A friend of mine's dog was doing the same thing and couldn't understand why. In the past, her little dog has gotten a hold of something she's not supposed to have and her humans hollered and yelled and then unceremoniously snatched it away from her and shamed her while they were doing it. In that scenario, the dog hasn't learned anything -- except this: when the humans are being unstable, it's time to hide.
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have given some fantastic advice here. Time and patience -- and most of all; leadership.

It's hard not to go bonkers when my Mr. Bo goes in (again) and steals a skein of grandma's yarn and has a private party with it. Yesterday, he had one yard ball and one brand new skein wrapped around the four legs of side chair in the living room. I had to pick UP the chair to un-weave the tangle yarn from around the legs. It was like a spider's web. He was having the time of his life in there!

So what went wrong? First of all, where I am culpable is 1) he's a two year old (dogs don't come out of the womb knowing that grandma's yarn is off limits) 2) I wasn't watching him! Had I been paying attention, I'd have seen him sniffing around in the basket and quickly disagreed with that behavior and that would have been the end of it -- until next time. (Eventually, he'll "get" that he's not supposed to be in grandma's yarn basket) The fact that the basket is at Bo Level invites trouble already - but with patience and time, he's going to learn to not mess with the yarn. He has learned the same lesson about the magazine basket - so I know he's capable. :yes: It's the very same lesson applied to a different item is all.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've got some great advice here. Just remember that it's going to take some time and that you need to be consistent.

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
When Zeus was little he was biting and nipping bad. We had to be very firm. We had a "switch" if you may. He would get popped for doing it. We would also say "OWWW" pretend that we were hurt and ignore him. He stopped.
Now he will not go to bed without giving me a kiss first.
Paisley is jumping terrible and I'm taking the same approach with her and its working well. Granted yes it takes a while to get thru their stubborn minds. But just like children a switch that you keep is a reminder (a paint stick works well)
Good luck!

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I have a wrapping paper roll I was using. I know that doesn't really hurt just gets her attention. If I use the water bottle she goes postal. she bites ands growls so I had to stop doing that. it made things worse. she showed teeth. maybe that was used alot in the past. I am gonna stick to this but she is not gonna rule me or my family. she is gonna listen if she wants special attention. She is gonna have to obey same rules as the rest of the pack. I just need to stay firm I guess and start right now with nothing getting slided by- be firm on everything.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I get my hackles up when I read things that imply hitting a dog in any manner, period. Does not happen in my home and never will. I'm not trying to put anyone on the defensive here, just stating my feelings.
I can't begin to imagine how hard and frustrating this situation can be. I really think consistency with teaching her what you want her to do will help.
Good Luck and I hope you'll keep us posted.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I don't hit her like abuse., just a little swat like you do with a toddler on the hand when theykeep touching something you tell them not to. alot of the hitting is her problem but you don't know Gretchen and her bahavior and the amount of stress and work a day this is for me. Its alot. she something firmer than just a stop it, no mam kinda thing. she is very set in her ways and some of her ways are dangerous. great with the kids but if not controlled now how long will that last.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
she pees in the house- she knows better. she runs under the table. she scared shes gonna get in trouble. I woudn't let my kids hide under the table but when you got to get her out she bites you. thats not acceptable. she needs to come out acknowledge she did wrong. she shouldn't be able to stay under the table and hide- any suggestion to that?

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I agree nothing to hurt them, it's more of a swat to say no that's wrong. Like you said much like a toddler.
As far as going under the table. Hmm mine goes in my closet sometimes and I have to reach in and tap his butt to get him to come out. Then he goes straight to his crate bc he knows he did wrong. Does Gretchen have a crate?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
A cornered dog or a hiding dog is capable of turning mad. They are hiding from you. In fear. Fear aggression is very bad situation. sit on the floor and coax her out with love and a smile, this is how you will gain trust

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber and Ruby like to be under the table; they use it like their den so to speak. Amber heads straight under the table if she thinks her wrinkles are getting cleaned (hates wrinkle cleaning, doesn't mind her butt washed but hates the wrinkle thing) so I have to sit on the floor with one of her toys and make her think I am having a great time. She will lay there and ignor me for a moment or two but after a few minutes she just cannot contain herself, especially if it is on of her favorite toys. Once she is out from under the table I let her grab the toy, I grab her, and we clean wrinkles. lol I usually don't do this when I am in a hurry and I am sure you are having more difficult situations than wrinkle cleaning but my point is if you can get her buy in to a situation it could be less stressful for both of you. Also, maybe putting her on a short leash for a little bit in the house instead of free roaming and make her work for her freedoms may be of assistance. Be patient and consistant, it will pay off. And I too have a newspaper rolled up with duck tap for those really hard to handle moments; just a quick swat to get her attention, no major harm, just getting her attention. Amber gets in trouble dog piling on Search the cat and gets rough with him sometimes and doesn't want to give up, those are the moments the newspaper comes out. Once she sees it she retreats to under the table and looks out at me. I give her that time to think about her actions. Good luck, things will get better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.