URGENT!!! Gretchen's behavior has gotten worse

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gretchen has started to respect me somewhat. She listens better. I did decide that the crate was for her to enjoy when do is open and when door is closed she is having a time out. I just say time out and she goes. She doesn't do the same thing when she gets out like before. Still working on some issues. Gonna take her to some obedience classes after we get her fixed. Was suppose to do last month but she was still bleeding from heat and they wouldn't do it. Hopefully get her all healed and off to right direction.

Great progress.... Stay consistent with what is working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Relocate around the US once a year for work.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
I grew up with a dog that, if she jumped on the kitchen table and you walked over to her & told her she was bad, she'd jump down and roll over & submit & "say sorry".... No big deal.

Well, with Isabel whom is 4 years old - we cannot yell at her or walk toward her aggressively because before my boyfriend got her at 10 months old. She was terribly abused, chased with bats and vacuum cleaners. Anything that is longer than a bat, she will freak out, bark, run around to find a place to hide or just run around like crazy, same thing with the vacuum cleaner. But even then, if she does something wrong - I have come to realize that she will not respond if I yell because she probably feels like yelling is what she received from her previous owners who abused her.

When she has done something wrong, I calmly and assertively approach her, with my open arm, I grab the side of her neck as if my hand is a claw. This is telling her that I'm the alpha and I don't like her behavior - whether it's barking or invading my space when I don't want it. I learned this from reading one of Cesar Milan's book and wow has it worked. It might not work for all dogs, but you must also have a trusting relationship with the dog so that she knows that she is still safe with you no matter what. If I were to see Isabel peeing on the floor, tearing up the side of the couch and I were to run at her angrily, yelling no & end up chasing her around the house - that dog would get very, very "aggressively defensive" because all they know is that they either wanted/needed attention to go outside or they were bored so they chewed your couch up.

My only other advice is that, you cannot make the dog acknowledge they are wrong unless you first acknowledge & correct the miscommunication in the relationship between you & your dog.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.