michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
she does have a crate. I was using it at first then I thought about her life before where she was crated most of her life. then my husband said well if you let her roam and she only gets crated when she is punished or when we leave she will learn if she wants her freedom she will behave. I only crate her for biting at me or doing something really bad. I try to avoid it as much as possible. she is better when I am home but once my kids and husband gets home she turns bad. not sure if she is competing for attention. he is not as relaxed as me when it comes to letting her get away with stuff. I find her only listening to me if others are gone. I am home all day but I am still vey busy. I run my own daycare. she is good with the kids but steal their toys and cups and they know I am only to take them from her. she will drop alot but most time I have to give her a treat to drop it so then she goes to get it again so she can have another treat. I am not gonna treat her for bad behavior any longer. maybe keeping leash on all day so I can remove her from the situation and make her drop something is better. should I then crate her for not listening at that point or what should I do then?

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
It's much like time out. After you crate her for a bit (15 minutes maybe) let her out and praise her for good behavior.
Leash is a good idea.
When you put her in the crate for bad behavior use 1 or 2 words to let her know she has done wrong like "bad girl" or "NO" and use the same terms each time so it's repeated over and over and she'll get the hang of it.
Zeus knows "NO" very well it took a while but he got it. Occasionally I will have to swat him on the butt with the paint stick to remind him he did wrong.. He understands right away. Took time tho.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
thanks for your advice. Ill try it and keep everyone informed. What suggestions do you have if they pee in the house. same thing- crate for few minutes or should I put her outside for a bit. she knows you pee outside. plus she won't go off the deck half the time so she pees and poops on the deck. its a hassle cleaning it. anything I can do there?

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
Take her to the spot you want her to "go". Often throughout the day on a leash. Put her in a routine of that spot.
Yes crate her if she does anything bad or wrong. It sends the same single "hey I wasn't suppose to do that"
When you take her to the same spot over and over she will get the hint to pee there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks for your advice. Ill try it and keep everyone informed. What suggestions do you have if they pee in the house. same thing- crate for few minutes or should I put her outside for a bit. she knows you pee outside. plus she won't go off the deck half the time so she pees and poops on the deck. its a hassle cleaning it. anything I can do there?

I hihgly recommend NOT using the crate as punishment... the crate should be her safe place. A place she can go and know 'it is her spot and no one will hurt her there. Also, canines have no concept of time.. 1 minute or 10 hours.. it is the same to them. Use a spray bottle with water to give correction.... canines live in the moment so unless you catch her in the act... there can not be any correction or piunishment -- they have no clue why you are correcting if they did it before you got there.

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I've heard of the spray bottle and tried it with Zeus. He liked it strangely. Such an odd ball lol
I hope something works for her. I know it can be frustrating.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've heard of the spray bottle and tried it with Zeus. He liked it strangely. Such an odd ball lol
I hope something works for her. I know it can be frustrating.

Same here --- my two think it is a toy. But, I use to work at a doggy caycare and it was HIGHLY effective with 98% of the pack

savannahgirl

Jan 14, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry Hudson Heisey
My trainer suggested mixing a little bit of white vinegar in the spray bottle. Hudson usually stops in his tracks when he spots it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Crate should be a safe place for them, not used as a time out. They should feel free to go in there and have some "me" time - where they won't be bothered by other pets or kids.
Like I said before, good luck.

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I agree with you both on the crate being a safe place. With that said both of mine still consider their crates as a safe place. They will go into their crates to lay down without me knowing.
It's depends on the dog. And also the approach I think.
Maybe the spray bottle will work for her. Didn't for me. But has for others

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Okay, it sounds like Gretchen is scared of you and that's why she hides, and when you try to get her out she'll bite you. It's Gretchen trying to protect herself. How do you want her to acknowledge that she did something wrong? I'm lost on that one.

I know you mentioned that you cannot afford a trainer but this is something that Gretchen and you can greatly benefit from. Please take a look at some group or private classes in your area...even a couple classes and feedback from a professional trainer can be helpful for Gretchen.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think lead training is what you need to do. Sure, it will be a huge pain for you and time consuming but I think it will help you with ALL of the behaviours you are discussing. The peeing in the house. Peeing on the patio. Hiding under the table. All of these can be done with lead correction.

You may be thinking "walk around with a lead all day?" but sometimes this can all be corrected in just a matter of a few days. Well worth your time and energy. Basically it is YOUR effort that will pay off in the end. Getting angry, using anything, even something that does not hurt them but their FEELINGS are hurt, they are frightened, and you are doing more harm than good when you correct with this method. Bulldogs understand a rewarding relationship. They understand happiness. They do not and fear sadness, yelling and anger.

I always tell everyone who takes a puppy home never do things if you are not up to doing it. Like if you are not happy about giving them a bath, trimming their nails, cleaning their wrinkles, don't do it until you DO. They feel your frustration, anger and it will turn all of these experiences into bad ones.

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I think lead training is what you need to do. Sure, it will be a huge pain for you and time consuming but I think it will help you with ALL of the behaviours you are discussing. The peeing in the house. Peeing on the patio. Hiding under the table. All of these can be done with lead correction.

You may be thinking "walk around with a lead all day?" but sometimes this can all be corrected in just a matter of a few days. Well worth your time and energy. Basically it is YOUR effort that will pay off in the end. Getting angry, using anything, even something that does not hurt them but their FEELINGS are hurt, they are frightened, and you are doing more harm than good when you correct with this method. Bulldogs understand a rewarding relationship. They understand happiness. They do not and fear sadness, yelling and anger.

I always tell everyone who takes a puppy home never do things if you are not up to doing it. Like if you are not happy about giving them a bath, trimming their nails, cleaning their wrinkles, don't do it until you DO. They feel your frustration, anger and it will turn all of these experiences into bad ones.

That is great advice. You are so right they do sense frustration and anger.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I believe I suggested the lead training when you first posted about her. This is the best thing you can do. She will NEVER EVER EVER trust you if you strike her or at her in any way. She is terrified. Plain and simple. You don't know what her life before was truly like. Obviously she was abused. It's your job to bring her to a stable place. It takes time..much much more time than you've had her. Is she still around the children? She can't be expected to relax and start to heal unless you make the allowances she needs. Nothing will be quick. You can't housebreak her until she respects you. You won't just get that respect...you have to EARN it. And that's in HER eyes..not mine or anyone else's . Please go back to your first post here. Read through all the great advice. Start all over with tiny steps. And please..for lots of reasons, don't have her around a houseful of kids. She's not ready.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Dogs are not kids and do not react the same to certain forms of punishments. If she hiding under a table the last thing she's going to want to do is come out is she's scared. It's going to take a lot of trust. You have some very good advice above. I would personally stop smacking her altogether, she needs to trust again. Her peeing on the deck is most likely due to her past and if she's being yelled at she's going to hide, I would.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.