Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gretchen's behavior has gotten worse

well im no behavourist for sure but i do have a dog now in my possession who was a table dog also. he spent the first 3 days i had him under the kitchen table and i actually called him table dog. he also had aggression issues if i tried to correct him by swatting his behind lightly. yes that was before i knew you werent supposed to do that esp with a fearful dog. i also tried submitting him one day when he wouldnt come to me outside and got aggressive toward me when i was speaking loudly to him and i got bit for my effort. so i had to try something different with him. i soon realized that any type of raised voice caused him to tremble and such. he would also act crazy in the car and just a weird dog. so what to do. well i gave him lots of love first off. when he would do something bad i would speak calmly to him and make my movement slow and deliberate. if i wanted him off the bed and he wouldnt come i would slowly reach and if he reacted i would stop and wait and then proceeed. he had to understand i would not hurt him. i would then tell him no and why it was bad behaviour. if it was bad enough i would put him in his pen outside alone for a bit. i take him for walks as leash training is a wonderful thing and walking your dog teaches them to trust you and that you decide what they do. he would look at me when he was bad like are you going to get rid of me to and id say no duke this is your last home. its nothing that comes overnight and take effort but it can happen. some things about him have never gone but for the most part he is a happy healthy dog now. if he would not come to me i would get on the ground at his level to call him and only then will he come sometimes. dogs are like kids i think in that you have to tailor how you act with them to well them. perhaps keep the bully away from the kids till you can establish trust and the behaviour you want then allow them access. im no expert by any means just have been through a fearful dog who is now a functional dog. perhaps leashing him while in the house will help. i have a bully now who is harnessed and leashed in the house for her aggression issues that came up. i would take her with me where i went and made her sit before eating getting treats and such. she sat by me and was with me if i was sitting anywhere. slowly she is allowed freedom and now i have not had an issue with her for like 3 weeks now. perhaps watch some ceasar millon tapes or some other dog trainer who perhaps can give you some ideas on how to proceed. lots of people learn from the pros who dont have the cash for an actual person to come to their home. i really hope things work out for you and your bully so you can have a happy home. i am just relating my story is all hopefully you will find something in there to help.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 04-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23093 View Post
    She started doing really well but not she does bad things then goes to hide and if u get near her she bites u and growls. Tonight she went after the cat over and over. She had stopped. She now goes out on the deck and pees versus ground. She just randomly decides to nip for no reason. This has gotten very overwhelming and hard to understand what I can do. She's just more like a big child with horrible issues. What's your suggestion. I have tried alot of different approaches. If she does something wrong and hides under the table. Well that's no acceptable to me. I don't let my kids get away with that. I can't afford a trainer like I would love to be able too. Please help .
    Will the Rescue where you got her from be willing to help with a trainer?
    I know many Rescues do.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

thanks so much cowsmom. that was very encouraging.

- - - Updated - - -

rescue is in Florida and I live in Virginia

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

I just want to say this: We are all here to learn and share stories so that others may learn as well, and hopefully not make the same mistakes we did. I am not here to judge anyone, however, there are times, when I might come across as a bit harsh in my ideas (such as, I have never, nor will I ever, spank, tap, hit an animal). If you can look past that and get to the meat of what I'm trying to say, great. We all have different ideas and yes, I'm sure it can get confusing, but I do also think we stand united on certain schools of thought.
    Good Luck. Please continue to post here and not only seek advise but also post pictures that we can all oggle over.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

thanks so much cowsmom. that was very encouraging.

- - - Updated - - -

rescue is in Florida and I live in Virginia
    I would contact them anyway. They may still be something they can do even though you're in Virginia.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

How do I post pictures

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

Gretchen has started to respect me somewhat. She listens better. I did decide that the crate was for her to enjoy when do is open and when door is closed she is having a time out. I just say time out and she goes. She doesn't do the same thing when she gets out like before. Still working on some issues. Gonna take her to some obedience classes after we get her fixed. Was suppose to do last month but she was still bleeding from heat and they wouldn't do it. Hopefully get her all healed and off to right direction.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

How do u add pictures to ur replies. Want to send a few cute ones

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

How do u add pictures to ur replies. Want to send a few cute ones
    Michelle ..at bottom of reply box..see "Go Advanced"?? Click that..you will be given options for adding pics..from album or photobucket etc. also manage Attachments will do thumbnails!

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!!!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Gretchen has started to respect me somewhat. She listens better. I did decide that the crate was for her to enjoy when do is open and when door is closed she is having a time out. I just say time out and she goes. She doesn't do the same thing when she gets out like before. Still working on some issues. Gonna take her to some obedience classes after we get her fixed. Was suppose to do last month but she was still bleeding from heat and they wouldn't do it. Hopefully get her all healed and off to right direction.
    Great progress.... Stay consistent with what is working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper Isabel and Jackson's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Relocate around the US once a year for work.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jackson and Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I grew up with a dog that, if she jumped on the kitchen table and you walked over to her & told her she was bad, she'd jump down and roll over & submit & "say sorry".... No big deal.

Well, with Isabel whom is 4 years old - we cannot yell at her or walk toward her aggressively because before my boyfriend got her at 10 months old. She was terribly abused, chased with bats and vacuum cleaners. Anything that is longer than a bat, she will freak out, bark, run around to find a place to hide or just run around like crazy, same thing with the vacuum cleaner. But even then, if she does something wrong - I have come to realize that she will not respond if I yell because she probably feels like yelling is what she received from her previous owners who abused her.

When she has done something wrong, I calmly and assertively approach her, with my open arm, I grab the side of her neck as if my hand is a claw. This is telling her that I'm the alpha and I don't like her behavior - whether it's barking or invading my space when I don't want it. I learned this from reading one of Cesar Milan's book and wow has it worked. It might not work for all dogs, but you must also have a trusting relationship with the dog so that she knows that she is still safe with you no matter what. If I were to see Isabel peeing on the floor, tearing up the side of the couch and I were to run at her angrily, yelling no & end up chasing her around the house - that dog would get very, very "aggressively defensive" because all they know is that they either wanted/needed attention to go outside or they were bored so they chewed your couch up.

My only other advice is that, you cannot make the dog acknowledge they are wrong unless you first acknowledge & correct the miscommunication in the relationship between you & your dog.

Rita

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads