Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gretchen's behavior has gotten worse

Bully Bootie Duty My kids have 4 paws's Avatar
    Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

I agree nothing to hurt them, it's more of a swat to say no that's wrong. Like you said much like a toddler.
    As far as going under the table. Hmm mine goes in my closet sometimes and I have to reach in and tap his butt to get him to come out. Then he goes straight to his crate bc he knows he did wrong. Does Gretchen have a crate?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gretchen's behavior has gotten worse

A cornered dog or a hiding dog is capable of turning mad. They are hiding from you. In fear. Fear aggression is very bad situation. sit on the floor and coax her out with love and a smile, this is how you will gain trust
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Amber and Ruby like to be under the table; they use it like their den so to speak. Amber heads straight under the table if she thinks her wrinkles are getting cleaned (hates wrinkle cleaning, doesn't mind her butt washed but hates the wrinkle thing) so I have to sit on the floor with one of her toys and make her think I am having a great time. She will lay there and ignor me for a moment or two but after a few minutes she just cannot contain herself, especially if it is on of her favorite toys. Once she is out from under the table I let her grab the toy, I grab her, and we clean wrinkles. lol I usually don't do this when I am in a hurry and I am sure you are having more difficult situations than wrinkle cleaning but my point is if you can get her buy in to a situation it could be less stressful for both of you. Also, maybe putting her on a short leash for a little bit in the house instead of free roaming and make her work for her freedoms may be of assistance. Be patient and consistant, it will pay off. And I too have a newspaper rolled up with duck tap for those really hard to handle moments; just a quick swat to get her attention, no major harm, just getting her attention. Amber gets in trouble dog piling on Search the cat and gets rough with him sometimes and doesn't want to give up, those are the moments the newspaper comes out. Once she sees it she retreats to under the table and looks out at me. I give her that time to think about her actions. Good luck, things will get better.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

she does have a crate. I was using it at first then I thought about her life before where she was crated most of her life. then my husband said well if you let her roam and she only gets crated when she is punished or when we leave she will learn if she wants her freedom she will behave. I only crate her for biting at me or doing something really bad. I try to avoid it as much as possible. she is better when I am home but once my kids and husband gets home she turns bad. not sure if she is competing for attention. he is not as relaxed as me when it comes to letting her get away with stuff. I find her only listening to me if others are gone. I am home all day but I am still vey busy. I run my own daycare. she is good with the kids but steal their toys and cups and they know I am only to take them from her. she will drop alot but most time I have to give her a treat to drop it so then she goes to get it again so she can have another treat. I am not gonna treat her for bad behavior any longer. maybe keeping leash on all day so I can remove her from the situation and make her drop something is better. should I then crate her for not listening at that point or what should I do then?

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

It's much like time out. After you crate her for a bit (15 minutes maybe) let her out and praise her for good behavior.
    Leash is a good idea.
    When you put her in the crate for bad behavior use 1 or 2 words to let her know she has done wrong like "bad girl" or "NO" and use the same terms each time so it's repeated over and over and she'll get the hang of it.
    Zeus knows "NO" very well it took a while but he got it. Occasionally I will have to swat him on the butt with the paint stick to remind him he did wrong.. He understands right away. Took time tho.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

thanks for your advice. Ill try it and keep everyone informed. What suggestions do you have if they pee in the house. same thing- crate for few minutes or should I put her outside for a bit. she knows you pee outside. plus she won't go off the deck half the time so she pees and poops on the deck. its a hassle cleaning it. anything I can do there?

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

Take her to the spot you want her to "go". Often throughout the day on a leash. Put her in a routine of that spot.
    Yes crate her if she does anything bad or wrong. It sends the same single "hey I wasn't suppose to do that"
    When you take her to the same spot over and over she will get the hint to pee there.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23093 View Post
    thanks for your advice. Ill try it and keep everyone informed. What suggestions do you have if they pee in the house. same thing- crate for few minutes or should I put her outside for a bit. she knows you pee outside. plus she won't go off the deck half the time so she pees and poops on the deck. its a hassle cleaning it. anything I can do there?
    I hihgly recommend NOT using the crate as punishment... the crate should be her safe place. A place she can go and know 'it is her spot and no one will hurt her there. Also, canines have no concept of time.. 1 minute or 10 hours.. it is the same to them. Use a spray bottle with water to give correction.... canines live in the moment so unless you catch her in the act... there can not be any correction or piunishment -- they have no clue why you are correcting if they did it before you got there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

I've heard of the spray bottle and tried it with Zeus. He liked it strangely. Such an odd ball lol
    I hope something works for her. I know it can be frustrating.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by My kids have 4 paws View Post
    I've heard of the spray bottle and tried it with Zeus. He liked it strangely. Such an odd ball lol
    I hope something works for her. I know it can be frustrating.
    Same here --- my two think it is a toy. But, I use to work at a doggy caycare and it was HIGHLY effective with 98% of the pack
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry Hudson Heisey
    Likes (Received)

My trainer suggested mixing a little bit of white vinegar in the spray bottle. Hudson usually stops in his tracks when he spots it.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Crate should be a safe place for them, not used as a time out. They should feel free to go in there and have some "me" time - where they won't be bothered by other pets or kids.
    Like I said before, good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads