URGENT!!! Need some help asap...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm so happy to hear there's progress for Kiah. It took her a long time to get this messed up, so its going to take some time to undo whatever damage was done to her. Poor girl. I'm so glad you found each other. :heart:

As far as activities ideas go: Bea loves to chase bubbles. When she sees the bottle come out, she can't wait to get started chasing them. (She has an incredible prey drive) Bo isn't as interested in them as Bea is. Water bottles -- the crackly kind -- are a favorite here too. They don't get them unsupervised though as they can chew off pieces of them.

I am watching your progress with her. Keep up the good work!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've been following this thread on my phone at odd moments at work when I have time to get on.

Never give up!! You are doing the most amazing job in rehabilitating her!!!! I totally agree with [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] .. it has taken a lifetime of emotional and physical abuse to make her what she is today. So it may take a long time to make her realise that she can trust again. And by "trust" .. I mean to trust 24/7. I am sure that sometimes she must suddenly realise that she has let her guard down and allowed herself to be in a situation where you could hurt her in someway so immediately the defences go up.

Just be consistent and show her love and you will win her heart!! :heart:

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Her guard is down with me more and more everyday. Its not really myself as much as it is enviormental/other people that forces her to go back into that mode, from what I've been learning about her. This past week she has been doing really well. We even went to the beach and she went into the water up to her chest. Her previous owners said she hates water, lol she couldn't get enough. It actually got to the point where we had to leave, she was getting way too overexcited.

I had a another behaviorist come by this week to evaluate her. He is ex israeli military and worked 12 years with their canine units. At first he was gonna recommend boot camp for her. Once I explained her situation and he saw my work with. He looked at me and said, "Mike, the only person that should train her is you!" She responds very well to you and you should rehab her. He said I came come to his farm and work on socialization with her and all his dogs. He will be there for me mainly for moral support. He said everything I've been doing is perfect.

Now.... he recommended something to me that 3 other behaviorists did as well. A prong collar. Im on the fence about this and I've read a lot about them and EB's. Many owners use them. Please, thoughts and concerns. Im not sure about it yet....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm not an expert but I'm anti prong collars. It seems like she has enough things to fear...does she really need another? And associated with YOU? You and her walks are her safe zone. Add a tool that to me punishes would be counter productive..in my opinion.. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Her guard is down with me more and more everyday. Its not really myself as much as it is enviormental/other people that forces her to go back into that mode, from what I've been learning about her. This past week she has been doing really well. We even went to the beach and she went into the water up to her chest. Her previous owners said she hates water, lol she couldn't get enough. It actually got to the point where we had to leave, she was getting way too overexcited.

I had a another behaviorist come by this week to evaluate her. He is ex israeli military and worked 12 years with their canine units. At first he was gonna recommend boot camp for her. Once I explained her situation and he saw my work with. He looked at me and said, "Mike, the only person that should train her is you!" She responds very well to you and you should rehab her. He said I came come to his farm and work on socialization with her and all his dogs. He will be there for me mainly for moral support. He said everything I've been doing is perfect.

Now.... he recommended something to me that 3 other behaviorists did as well. A prong collar. Im on the fence about this and I've read a lot about them and EB's. Many owners use them. Please, thoughts and concerns. Im not sure about it yet....

Having worked with and been around many breeds and trainers using this tool... when used correctly it is a great tool that does NOT hurt the pup. It is meant to give a 'pinch' which replicates the mothers correct nip to the neck. Work with the behaviorist and see if you are comfortable using this collar, if you are not comfortable with it... it is best not to use it.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I've used them with shepards and rotties. The comfort level is there, I've just never used one with an EB. I do believe it will make a major difference with her. I've just read stcries about how they rip fur off the neck. That very well could be from neglect rather than proper use. Have you used them with your bullies?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've used them with shepards and rotties. The comfort level is there, I've just never used one with an EB. I do believe it will make a major difference with her. I've just read stcries about how they rip fur off the neck. That very well could be from neglect rather than proper use. Have you used them with your bullies?

No, not with my bullies there was no need to. when I worked at a dog daycare, there were mostly shepards, mastiffs and pittys with them, but there was a Frenchie that needed one. It was actually pretty funny cause when the collar went one, she would literally freeze, would not move... take it off and she was a disciplined mess. Her leash was never attached to the collar so there was no correction with her, she just knew what it was after one correction when she was in training.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
That's my concern with Kiah, the same behavior as the Frenchy. I see it only as a temporary fix for the charging/lunging. Maybe my expectations are high, but I know she's smart and is on her way to being a master of association. My biggest concern is damage and with what I've been reading, there isn't any if its used 100% properly.

BTW...autocorrect sucks, just sayin :D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

I've used one on my Bo. There was a period of time where he would CHOKE HIMSELF TO LIGHT-HEADEDNESS to get to someone or something while on the leash. It was horrible! No touch to the flanks or jerk of the lead would snap him out of it. Cindy at CBRR showed me how to use one and yes, it worked perfectly. It was a temporary tool - that's all.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I am very proud to announce that Kiah is doing very well. She's been in a mood lately on walks but we still get at least 6-12 blocks in each walk. I think she is picking up a strange scent. She has really.calmed.down when she sees other dogs as well. She is now fully on Natures variety with non fat Greek yogurt and loves it! I took some pics of her last week, what a change! My mom was over on mothers day, she couldn't believe how gentle she's become. She even commented on how much softer she looks. I will post them soon!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am very proud to announce that Kiah is doing very well. She's been in a mood lately on walks but we still get at least 6-12 blocks in each walk. I think she is picking up a strange scent. She has really.calmed.down when she sees other dogs as well. She is now fully on Natures variety with non fat Greek yogurt and loves it! I took some pics of her last week, what a change! My mom was over on mothers day, she couldn't believe how gentle she's become. She even commented on how much softer she looks. I will post them soon!

FANTASTIC!!!! Love the forward steps

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Well my friends, it has been a while since I've given you all an update. I am very proud to say that Kiah has made such an amazing recovery so far. I've de-sensitized her to almost all the noises in the house. She still gets a little jumpy if she is sleepy, but I can open and close doors, answer my phone, make noise and she doesnt even flinch when it's me. It's only outside stimulation now, which we are constantly working on.

Our walks are up to almost a half mile twice a day, she gets a bit stubborn every so often, but after a block or 2 she is right in sync.

Out obedience is on key, she has mastered sit, come and leave it. Let's go, down, up and off are coming in to a close here soon. I am soooo proud of her.

I've come to realize that there are just some people she doesn't like. I don't blame her though, I don't like those people as well. Shady, nasty etc etc... She picks up on it right away and will try to defend me and herself. I can keep her under control unless they get too close and I make sure I warn them. I can tell in 2s if she likes someone or not. Gender, size, race etc don't seem to be an issue, it's just the individual.

Now for the best part... Yesterday the behaviorist was here and were working on the dog aggression. We had her Belgian Malinois 10 feet from Ki before she fixated, ya she got extra special treats last night!!

I hope you are all ready to see my changed girl, get ready for an incoming flood of pictures!

OutCold.jpgNylabone.jpgHolyToungue!.jpgHappy.jpgchillaxing.jpgHiDad!.jpgCuddling.jpgKiah_Mike.jpgFrogDog.jpgSoHappy.jpgCuddleMonster.jpg

The pic of us cuddling and her frog dogging it are my favorite :D I've gotten her to submiss quite a few times since that pic was taken. Everyday it gets better. Those have been our best days so far. Everyone that saw her when I first got her cant believe it's the same dog. Thank you all again for the support!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Awesome news and awesome pictures!! I am so happy for both you and Kiah!!! Keep the updates coming! :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
WHats that song lyric??... "When you're going through hell..keep on going"

Becky, that is a quote from Winston Churchill and one that I've used in my
signature line on EBN a few months back.

Thinking I may have to use it again as things at my house are there right now :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.