URGENT!!! Need some help asap...

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Thank you everyone! She has been lazy all weekend and gets startled if I touch anything other than her head or neck. This is.coming from a dog who loves rub downs. Its getting to the point where she doesnt even want to play. I don't want to make her uncomfortable. At least we still have our walks. Although she is constantly on guard. Im still working in obedience, just to keep her mind stimulated.

Im sorry I didnt respond to each of you individually. Its just been a long weekend...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! She has been lazy all weekend and gets startled if I touch anything other than her head or neck. This is.coming from a dog who loves rub downs. Its getting to the point where she doesnt even want to play. I don't want to make her uncomfortable. At least we still have our walks. Although she is constantly on guard. Im still working in obedience, just to keep her mind stimulated.

Im sorry I didnt respond to each of you individually. Its just been a long weekend...

Do not be concerned about individual responses,,, just stay strong, now we are here for you and come update or just vent to us. we are all pulling for you ans Kiah! :hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

She's been through so much in her life before you found her so I'm sure it's going to take lots of time for Kiah to get through this rough period and adjustment to her new home and family. She's a lucky girl to have you as her dad and guardian.

SquareDog

Mar 10, 2013
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Loupotamus
This must be very tough for both of you. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts today! Be safe - and strong!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
From reading this entire post I do see a lot of progress, I hope even tho things keep going backwards I see how dedicated you are to her, thank you for giving her a chance. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
So last night I gave her the lamb bone again. This time I baited her into the cage then traded up for the lamb bone. Once she was down and calm I gave it to her and shut the door. About 5.minutes I walked past the crate and sure enough, there is was. Teeth bared, hackles up, ears up and back. She was ready to pounce. This time the door was in her way. She didn't charge it either.

So I sat down in front of her. I looked side to side and just watched. After about a minute or so she calmed down and laid back down. Good girl I said. I then saw she broke the part of the bone that attached to the ankle or knee. They were kinda small and she started to chew one. I looked at her and listen baby, those pieces are too small and I dont want you to choke. So what did she do? My crazy lil girl pushed the small pieces to the edge of the crate and with no issue what so ever, I was able to manuver them through the bars. She didnt even twitch...

I let her chomp for another 10 minutes and this time when I walked over, she pushed the bone to me, I pulled it out, let her out of her crate, we played then went outside, then sleep.

She has been good today, she got a lil rough while we were playing, I did what I normally do, came back 30s later, played some more, she was all lovey again.

I'm starting to think some of her triggers are auditory that I can't hear. I was testing her by playing different sounds on my PC this morning. She about jumped 3 feet back when she heard electricity, interesting huh? I wonder if she was electrocuted at some point. Maybe improper use of a shock collar or they used a stun baton. Sadly enough I have come across people that use both...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So last night I gave her the lamb bone again. This time I baited her into the cage then traded up for the lamb bone. Once she was down and calm I gave it to her and shut the door. About 5.minutes I walked past the crate and sure enough, there is was. Teeth bared, hackles up, ears up and back. She was ready to pounce. This time the door was in her way. She didn't charge it either.

So I sat down in front of her. I looked side to side and just watched. After about a minute or so she calmed down and laid back down. Good girl I said. I then saw she broke the part of the bone that attached to the ankle or knee. They were kinda small and she started to chew one. I looked at her and listen baby, those pieces are too small and I dont want you to choke. So what did she do? My crazy lil girl pushed the small pieces to the edge of the crate and with no issue what so ever, I was able to manuver them through the bars. She didnt even twitch...

I let her chomp for another 10 minutes and this time when I walked over, she pushed the bone to me, I pulled it out, let her out of her crate, we played then went outside, then sleep.

She has been good today, she got a lil rough while we were playing, I did what I normally do, came back 30s later, played some more, she was all lovey again.

I'm starting to think some of her triggers are auditory that I can't hear. I was testing her by playing different sounds on my PC this morning. She about jumped 3 feet back when she heard electricity, interesting huh? I wonder if she was electrocuted at some point. Maybe improper use of a shock collar or they used a stun baton. Sadly enough I have come across people that use both...

Wow... identifying the triggers would be such a huge step forward for you both... Keep up the great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Lots of good news to share today, Mike! I love hearing the progress that Kiah has been making. Even if sometimes it is 1 step forward and two backwards, she's getting there! It's sad to think about what she has gone thru; she just sounds like she's gone thru some big trauma in her life. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for the update and let's hope for more wonderful progress!

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I've found sooo many triggers so far. My poor girl is officially a trauma drama mama. Lol, I have to find ways to laugh.

Ok here's one for you all, I'm having a rough time getting her interested in toys. I've gotten her to chase some things around but she looses interest quickly. How bout we brainstorm? I know some of you are creative and/or critical thinkers such as myself. Give me some ideas, please? :D

Next I will wrap a toy in paper bag, like a present. Im gonna try some different spices first and see if she's into one then sprinkle a little in the bottom of the bag...

Last edited:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've found sooo many triggers so far. My poor girl is officially a trauma drama mama. Lol, I have to find ways to laugh.

Ok here's one for you all, I'm having a rough time getting her interested in toys. I've gotten her to chase some things around but she looses interest quickly. How bout we brainstorm? I know some of you are creative and/or critical thinkers such as myself. Give me some ideas, please? :D

Next I will wrap a toy in paper bag, like a present. Im gonna try some different spices first and see if she's into one then sprinkle a little in the bottom of the bag...

Banks is not big on playing either.... ball keep away is about all we get her to do

However, banks is HIGHLY food motivated, so we use anything you can hide treats in.... kong, marrow bones, treat dispensers.

empty water/soda bottles are always a big hit

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Banks is not big on playing either.... ball keep away is about all we get her to do

However, banks is HIGHLY food motivated, so we use anything you can hide treats in.... kong, marrow bones, treat dispensers.

empty water/soda bottles are always a big

She seems to definitely be food motivated, the odd part is when the treats go in the Kong, she sniffs it, maybe grabs it for a few minutes and then she's done. My old dog Jake used to love water bottles, he could un screw the top off no prob, lol then he would roll over and drink it on his back. He was very smart.

I tried some stuffed marrow bones, same results. I just need to find the right motivator, then the door will be open.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

It took HRH a few months to show any interest in toys of any kind when we first got her. I was trying to encourage them so she wouldn't have to have her teeth cleaned too often. When we first got her they were very bad.
Kongs had the same effect you describe. Then I tried squeaky ones. That turned a lightbulb on. After she killed a few stuffies with squeekies we reintroduced some silent toys she had ignored and suddenly they were ok too. She also loves the crackle of water bottles. We recently got a heavy duty rubber bottle wrap that has become a favorite. Kong knobby blue bones are another favorite. We found some cheap rubber pigs at wal-mart that oink. She really really loved those, but she killed all of them. I'm not so sure the way she obsesses about some of her toys now though is quite ideal. But the good thing about it is that her vet was very impressed by her teeth at her last checkup recently.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
It took HRH a few months to show any interest in toys of any kind when we first got her. I was trying to encourage them so she wouldn't have to have her teeth cleaned too often. When we first got her they were very bad.
Kongs had the same effect you describe. Then I tried squeaky ones. That turned a lightbulb on. After she killed a few stuffies with squeekies we reintroduced some silent toys she had ignored and suddenly they were ok too. She also loves the crackle of water bottles. We recently got a heavy duty rubber bottle wrap that has become a favorite. Kong knobby blue bones are another favorite. We found some cheap rubber pigs at wal-mart that oink. She really really loved those, but she killed all of them. I'm not so sure the way she obsesses about some of her toys now though is quite ideal. But the good thing about it is that her vet was very impressed by her teeth at her last checkup recently.

She was deathly afraid of a the squeaking duck I got her at first. Now she loves it and doesn't rip it apart. She squeaks it with her mouth and steps on it.I'll get her to chase it a bit, then she's done. I saw the Kong that gets stuffed with a water bottle, that might work.

Lol.Im gonna try some other spices tomorrow. I'm.just not a big fan of the made in China toys, so options are limited. Hmmm maybe I'll make ssomething....

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I pray for good results for you and your baby.
Please let us know

Zeus & Paisley's Mamma
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.