URGENT!!! Need some help asap...

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I have to say, Mona is also very good at leaving things alone. My boxer, was, not so good in this department. I could tell you stories that would make you scratch your head. Lets just say this. Two women living in one house, there were certain times we had to keep the bathroom door shut or Gracie would go in there and destroy things in the trash can. Disgusting to say the least.

P.S. Sorry, I hope I didn't "take over" your thread. I'm sure you're super busy...but how are things going?

They definitely have a mind of their own. Sorry for the late response, For some reason your post didn't appear on my phone. hmmm...

Anyways, hijack the thread all you want :D, you all have been sooo much of a help getting through this. I truly appreciate everything you have said and all the stories you have shared with me. And ugh, ya that can be disgusting, my lab did that back when he was a pup. I know exactly what you mean. I would have parties and he would show off what he found. How does the old say going, give someone an inch and they take a mile? Ya I bet they were referring to dogs in reality, haha!

Things are going very well actually. I got home from work and we went on a nice walk. The behaviorist came over and we worked on charging and lunging when people get close. Towards the end she was getting it. Once Ana got really closer and used eye contact, Kiah lunged. We stopped there and I put her inside to cool off. She was a bit frustrated with the session, so it was short. She is still a bit wound up as I write this while she is eating her food. We didn't want to over expose her. The good news is she can definitely be de-sensitized and reconditioned. It will just take a lot of work. Kiah is very protective of me. The interesting thing is she doesn't lunge at just anyone, but Ana is very petite and really does resemble one of Kiahs' previous owners. I'm willing to be that had a lot to do with it.

The good news is that Ana said I've done everything perfectly, there is nothing I should change as far as the corrections or re-training. I was a proud Daddy when I heard that :D

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
@Bullyproof

Random "aggression" is something that I have dealt with in regards to my bully. I think that regardless of our best efforts, we probably got an unsocialized puppy who just doesn't understand proper etiquette. It's up to us to teach him.

Out of nowhere, especially during play time, Remi will lose his mind and play way too rough, and get pretty aggressive in a way that causes me a few nips and scratches, and sometimes bite/nip rather hard. One thing that works like a charm is to give him a firm no, as a warning. And if he lunges again, biting at clothing, etc, (which he always does) I grab him by the collar and without saying a single word, I put him right in his crate for about 15 minutes. I don't yell at him or punish him because I don't want him to think his crate IS punishment, but the actual punishment is us leaving the room and leaving him in isolation until he's calmed down.

When we let him out, he's always calm as a cucumber and back to his old self.

A little tidbit, sometimes he acts this way when I'm on the phone. I'm guessing he wants attention and is kind of pissed.

BUT. This has happened more and more rarely since he's gotten older, and he's being trained out of it, but I would really give it a shot. 98% of the time Remi is super sweet now and I even trust him near my face for cuddles (who would have thought) and to give me gentle kisses and all of that good stuff, but sometimes he just gets real ornery and needs a time out. Basically, we're just saying, "Hey, that's not cool."

Fortunately we've never had ANY issues with Remi in his crate. He likes it; it's his room. We always always always (minus when we're using it for isolation) give him a treat or two when he enters, reestablishing that it's a good thing to be in there. Hope this helps!!

I fully agree, I must re-train her in almost every way, shape and form. She is definitely progressing and at certain points, regressing, but we are getting through it.

Kiah gets too rough at times too, the loud, "Ouch" will stop her for a few seconds, she will then lick me and then start up again. Once she gets up to the point where the bite pressure is too much, I stand up and pick up all of her toys except for her least favorite. Then i'll either walk out of the room, sit in front of my PC or walk outside. Wouldn't ya know, every play time gets better and she is starting to respond to her rope as play instead of my fingers (When she starts to bite harder, I introduce a toy). I don't mind the mouthing and for the most part her pressure isn't hard, but no one taught her the thresholds. She is really getting it and wants to play with Daddy, our play sessions are starting to last longer, it's very exciting!

I would use the crate but if I try to lead her in there since the episode last week, she screams bloody murder. We are slowly getting her back into feeling safe in there. I toss treats in all day long and give her lots of praise when she inside. What a difference!

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Just an update. We had a near perfect week, not one episode. Interestingly enough, I changed her food and saw major improvements in her demeanor and potty time. I had friends over this week to help me work with socializing and proper manners. I've been taking her new places at night for our walks. Whether it be the beach, a new neighborhood or a wooded area. I did get a second opinion and the vet wants to wait to see if there is another episode. This may have pointed to an environmental issue from where she used to live. Still no concrete answers. She was soo good this week I even slept in the living room a couple nights with her while her crate was open. Risky, I know but it actually improved our bond. One morning she even woke me up by licking and nuzzling my hand. :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just an update. We had a near perfect week, not one episode. Interestingly enough, I changed her food and saw major improvements in her demeanor and potty time. I had friends over this week to help me work with socializing and proper manners. I've been taking her new places at night for our walks. Whether it be the beach, a new neighborhood or a wooded area. I did get a second opinion and the vet wants to wait to see if there is another episode. This may have pointed to an environmental issue from where she used to live. Still no concrete answers. She was soo good this week I even slept in the living room a couple nights with her while her crate was open. Risky, I know but it actually improved our bond. One morning she even woke me up by licking and nuzzling my hand. :D

Wonderful Update! Keep up the great work! :)

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Well.... she regressed yesterday. She was chewing a bone and went to attack me repeatedly when I walked by her. She was fully aware I was there. I have played with her with the same bone. I'm heartbroken. She has been acting odd ever since. All her motor skills seen normal. I understand the resource guarding, but she hasn't done this for weeks and before it was a bully stick. Normally I can take anything from her. She slept most of the day yesterday, we went on a few walks. We had playtime, everything was normal.

I'm sooo distraught.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well.... she regressed yesterday. She was chewing a bone and went to attack me repeatedly when I walked by her. She was fully aware I was there. I have played with her with the same bone. I'm heartbroken. She has been acting odd ever since. All her motor skills seen normal. I understand the resource guarding, but she hasn't done this for weeks and before it was a bully stick. Normally I can take anything from her. She slept most of the day yesterday, we went on a few walks. We had playtime, everything was normal.

I'm sooo distraught.....

So sorry to hear this.... I wish I had advice to help or some additional pointers for you, but you are doing everything I can think of to retrain and gain her trust. Have you contacted your behaviorist since this happen?

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I have, they said the same thing you did. Im doing everything I should be. This is baffling...

To make matters worse, about 2 hours after this happened last night, I took her out for a walk and she tried to attack one of my neighbors. He announced himself, she wasn't startled, she went into full attack mode for no reason. She was down in a pounce position, fully tense, hackles up and teeth bared.

This morning, my neighbor was walking his bully, in the street, 30 or so yards from my door and she charged the door hard, from inside the apt. She's never done that before. I backed her up.with just voice commands, waited a couple minutes and opened the door and she charged the door again. I used the hand command for out and said it as well. She then gave me the same eyes she did last night and bared her teeth a bit as she backed up. She has never done that as well. I have talked to sooo many people about this, read books, watched videos, Im just about stumped.

5 minutes before the door charge, she was nuzzling my arm....

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Awe bullyproof. I am so sorry. I don't have any advise, either. My heart goes out to both of you. Please continue to keep us posted. Have you thought about contacting Cesar Milan?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I understand how frustrated and helpless you must feel. With Mabel our experience has been 1 step forward and many times, 3 steps back. It does still sound like you're making progress, even though it seems hopeless at times. God bless you for taking on this poor damaged soul who desperately needs the love and care you are providing. :2thumbs: You have already made a huge difference in her life.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
What a horrible mystery! I wish I had some insight and advice to give you but I can only offer support - I can't imagine what you are going through here! :( Stay strong!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh no. It almost sounds like a tumor or something. Definitely sounds neurological. Whatever you decide...you have given her a true chance. Sadly, we can't fix everyone and everything. You have to be able to trust her..and trust her with others. In any other place, the chances are that by now she would've bitten someone. This is truly heartbreaking and I wish I could help.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Ohhhh no. It almost sounds like a tumor or something. Definitely sounds neurological. Whatever you decide...you have given her a true chance. Sadly, we can't fix everyone and everything. You have to be able to trust her..and trust her with others. In any other place, the chances are that by now she would've bitten someone. This is truly heartbreaking and I wish I could help.
I was thinking tumor also, Becky. There are definitely some things we can't fix. So sad, but it sounds like Mike has done everything right.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Mike, just wanted to let you know that I too think you're doing such a fabulous job w/Kiah. I do not if there's a medical etiology to Kiah's behavior...I think you're planning or did have some neuro tests and an MRI done on her (?) Anyways, I do know her history of past abuse is playing a huge role in her present state of mind. Seeing that you've had her for about a month I think, you've made such progress with her. I know it's easy for me and all of us to say, but keep going! There are times when I think my two bullies are just getting along so well, and then bam! another fight with bloodshed. Leaves me feeling very frustrated and defeated sometimes.

I was listening to this "pet expert" yesterday on the radio and he was talking about how dogs who are rescued from shelters, particularly those who have had a rough life/background like Kiah had, are usually very well behaved and everything is like a "honeymoon period" w/their new owners when they first get home. After being comfortable with the owner and new home after a few weeks however, the dog may start to show signs of his past abuse/treatment (in the form of being aggressive). This is b/c the dog now let's "his guard down", so to speak.
Sorry if i'm babbling but I was just thinking of that pet expert's words and wondering if this applies to Kiah's case or not.

I continue to look forward to hearing updates on Kiah and will keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your loving efforts in getting Kiah better.

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Please have her checked for lupus! My bully had lupus we didnt find out til too late we couldn't save him! He was so gentle one moment and the next he would snap. It was like he was dr.Jekyll and mmr.hyde,

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.