URGENT!!! Need some help asap...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You touched all of our hearts with the story about finding Kiah and all the progress you have made. We are here for you supporting you and wishing the best. On those bad days remember that we are here for you to vent to and to cry to. Take care.

Well said.

I'm just finding this thread also and am praying for the best possible outcome. I also knew a dog for whom thyroid medication was a godsend. I'll be watching this thread!

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers! Thank you [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], I'm just glad you all are out there and have an idea of what I'm going through. Some of these people I meet in the real world who consider themselves experts need to re-evaluate their position in life. Why I would spend close to $700 in testing to just make this up? UGH! [MENTION=563]bluesteelapd[/MENTION], ty :D I thought the name was perfect! haha

Sorry for the delay, been working and spending my spare time with her all week. I even cut my hours down a bit, just in case.

Well it's Thursday and I've only gotten the results of the Chemistry. Still waiting on three results to come in. I'm patiently awaiting, ugh feels like forever. I may even switch vets, they only seem to be concerned with my CC number.

This week has been good for the most part. We have a new issue with her whining in her crate, since the episode. The first night it sounded like she was in pain so I took her outside, she didn't have to potty so we came back in 10 min later and I led her into her crate with her lead on. Luckily it seems a nice Egyptian cotton sheet on top of her bed seems to help a bit. She only whines for a few minutes now. I also set up radio and a wireless cam for her. I can check the cam from my phone to see how she's doing during the day. I'm not gone for more than 4-6 hours at a time. If am working late, I have a friend who comes over and lets her out. She knows everything that's going on of course, plus she was there the day I brought her home.

Now here is something interesting, since the episode. I leave a few things in her crate for her, a nylabone, an antler, a squeaky duck (lol she was afraid of it at first but now it's her wubbie) and an extra towel. When I get home. I find the towel mashed in between the the side of the crate, as well as her duck and she pushes the antler and the nylabone outside of the crate through the holes. I'm thinking she might be waiting for me to get home to play with them. I tried a bully stick too, which she just LOVES and I've found that outside of the crate too.

Any ideas?

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Just an update, I finally got the results back yesterday and everything was normal. Chemically, she is in perfect health. The next step is the neurological study. Whrich the vet is saying isn't necessary, I will be going to get a second opinion. I also have an appointment with 2 more behaviorists on Monday and Tuesday. I sware someone injected her with Dr. Jekylls' formula. She was fine yesterday morning. I left for 3 hours and when I got home she was scared of everything again....

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe Bless her heart!!! You are a Godsend to her. I'm sure she is in just as much confusion as you are. This is my first Bully so everything is new to me with him. Sounds like you should certainly seek a second opinion. Will be keeping you both in my prayers that there is a resolution.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm checking in on Kiah too. Whatever is going on -- thank you for sharing it with us here. Your and Kiah's experience is going to help another bully.

I agree with finding the right vet for your situation.

Have you watched her play with those things on that camera? I'm guessing that she's playing with them and they "get away" from her through the bars of the kennel? That towel mashing - Bea does that too. She "digs" her bed and must rearrange all blankets --- even the ones she sits on in the car -- before settling in.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
we had a great weekend, no episodes and she's been much better in the crate. I use raw boost bites as a reward when training her. I've been throwing them Im her crate all week and picking her bed up at night. She won't go in via command yet but she will go in on her own and lay down. I went back to basics and started feeding her in her crate again. She didn't object one bit. Progress is progress... Our walks have gotten better, I don't see the eyes wide open fear look nearly as much. She would pull back all the time, now its only a few times per walk.

Yesterday I was laying on the floor playing with her and she nuzzled into me like never before and wanted some serious loving :)

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I have been watching the cam and hoping that was the case. When I see her do it, it seems to be out of frustration with the bones at least. She will be laying down, then suddenly stand up and toss it out the crate. So I just leave 1 item in there for her. It seems to have helped.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Bullyproof, I'm just catching up on all that's been going on. What a great job you are dong with her. It's amazing how many quirks we find while trying to understand something else. I'm relieved she's physically ok..

One thing..please research on here about Bully Sticks. They are very dangerous and one of the things suggested to steer clear of. We even have a member who wrote about her frightening experience with them. @ModernFemme

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?21448-Don-t-use-bully-sticks-ever-seriously

Last edited:
OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
I'm already way ahead of you [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I stopped with the Bullystick's last week and went to an all natural treat instead. I didn't like the way she acted after she ate one as well. I'm very fortunate that Kiah doesn't try to eat everything. Of course I don't leave anything out for her to get, but still she is real good about not going after stuff that isn't hers. Thank you for the heads up :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm already way ahead of you @JAKEISGREAT, I stopped with the Bullystick's last week and went to an all natural treat instead. I didn't like the way she acted after she ate one as well. I'm very fortunate that Kiah doesn't try to eat everything. Of course I don't leave anything out for her to get, but still she is real good about not going after stuff that isn't hers. Thank you for the heads up :D

:clap:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I have to say, Mona is also very good at leaving things alone. My boxer, was, not so good in this department. I could tell you stories that would make you scratch your head. Lets just say this. Two women living in one house, there were certain times we had to keep the bathroom door shut or Gracie would go in there and destroy things in the trash can. Disgusting to say the least.

P.S. Sorry, I hope I didn't "take over" your thread. I'm sure you're super busy...but how are things going?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I still love her no matter what, I know this isn't her fault. I don't want to give up on her. I just want to get her the help she needs. She has been ok this afternoon and evening, I saw one "twitch" around 4:30pm and her whole demeanor changed, it lasted about 20 seconds. I backed off, and just talked to her till it was over. She has been listening since I got home. She didn't want to walk very far, I did take her for a car ride. She does really enjoy it.

Of course when we were at the vet, she was on her best behavior as if nothing was wrong. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them what happened. They all said, "Oh, dogs don't do that". I explained it to a few different people and the one vet tech was giving me a real hard time. When she took Kiah to draw the panel. I pulled the vet off to the side and had a heart to heart with him. He was truly concerned and he met her last week. He has a bully himself and specializes in them. I looked him dead in the eye and told him, Man to Man, tell me what you think, please, I'm tired of people not taking this seriously. He said, "It definitely sounds neurological due to a chemical imbalance or major abuse." Hopefully the tests will give us some answers.

I talked to a few behaviorists today as well. 2 of them said, "That's impossible, dogs don't do that". I really wish I had gotten this on camera. I can't believe people aren't taking my word for it. As if I'm doing something wrong. I've only had her 3 weeks, why don't people understand and just blow it off? Too much for them to handle?

Ana, the behaviorist I have been working with finally called me back. At least she has enough experience she has seen situations similar to this.

It's just a waiting game at this point, thank you all...

When reading the descriptions of the attacks, I was thinking "Is this something perhaps dream related?" Then you say in one of your posts it is almost like she's sleep walking/attacking. So I wonder if one way to deal with the problem until you find perhaps a medical solution is to only let her sleep in her crate since you use one anyway. At least you would both then be out of harms way when these attacks overtake her.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
[MENTION=8563]Bullyproof[/MENTION]

Random "aggression" is something that I have dealt with in regards to my bully. I think that regardless of our best efforts, we probably got an unsocialized puppy who just doesn't understand proper etiquette. It's up to us to teach him.

Out of nowhere, especially during play time, Remi will lose his mind and play way too rough, and get pretty aggressive in a way that causes me a few nips and scratches, and sometimes bite/nip rather hard. One thing that works like a charm is to give him a firm no, as a warning. And if he lunges again, biting at clothing, etc, (which he always does) I grab him by the collar and without saying a single word, I put him right in his crate for about 15 minutes. I don't yell at him or punish him because I don't want him to think his crate IS punishment, but the actual punishment is us leaving the room and leaving him in isolation until he's calmed down.

When we let him out, he's always calm as a cucumber and back to his old self.

A little tidbit, sometimes he acts this way when I'm on the phone. I'm guessing he wants attention and is kind of pissed.

BUT. This has happened more and more rarely since he's gotten older, and he's being trained out of it, but I would really give it a shot. 98% of the time Remi is super sweet now and I even trust him near my face for cuddles (who would have thought) and to give me gentle kisses and all of that good stuff, but sometimes he just gets real ornery and needs a time out. Basically, we're just saying, "Hey, that's not cool."

Fortunately we've never had ANY issues with Remi in his crate. He likes it; it's his room. We always always always (minus when we're using it for isolation) give him a treat or two when he enters, reestablishing that it's a good thing to be in there. Hope this helps!!

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
When reading the descriptions of the attacks, I was thinking "Is this something perhaps dream related?" Then you say in one of your posts it is almost like she's sleep walking/attacking. So I wonder if one way to deal with the problem until you find perhaps a medical solution is to only let her sleep in her crate since you use one anyway. At least you would both then be out of harms way when these attacks overtake her.

What ive been doing is leaving her bed in the hallway and shutting the door. In the morning when she gets out of her crate, the only place she can go whichis comfy, is her crate. Then when I get home from work I will take the bed out after our walks. Leave it out till around 10pm when we go on our last walk. She screams bloody murder if I attempt to walk her into her crate. So throughout the day I've been tossing treats into her crate and she ends up going in on her own. I feed her in there as well. I then work a bit of obedience and reward her with a high value treat and she's off to la la land. Shes whined for maybe 5 minutes in the past 4 days. She sleeps all day now when I'm gone too. So her bed, which I put out next to my recliner is now a reward for her.

I fully believe she is having some sort of nightmare. The behaviorist agrees with me. So now, when she's in her bed. I will whistle or call her name every so often. Especially if Im about to make some noise. To this point, it has worked wonders!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.