Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Need some help asap...

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need some help asap...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyproof View Post
    I've found sooo many triggers so far. My poor girl is officially a trauma drama mama. Lol, I have to find ways to laugh.

Ok here's one for you all, I'm having a rough time getting her interested in toys. I've gotten her to chase some things around but she looses interest quickly. How bout we brainstorm? I know some of you are creative and/or critical thinkers such as myself. Give me some ideas, please?

Next I will wrap a toy in paper bag, like a present. Im gonna try some different spices first and see if she's into one then sprinkle a little in the bottom of the bag...
    It took HRH a few months to show any interest in toys of any kind when we first got her. I was trying to encourage them so she wouldn't have to have her teeth cleaned too often. When we first got her they were very bad.
    Kongs had the same effect you describe. Then I tried squeaky ones. That turned a lightbulb on. After she killed a few stuffies with squeekies we reintroduced some silent toys she had ignored and suddenly they were ok too. She also loves the crackle of water bottles. We recently got a heavy duty rubber bottle wrap that has become a favorite. Kong knobby blue bones are another favorite. We found some cheap rubber pigs at wal-mart that oink. She really really loved those, but she killed all of them. I'm not so sure the way she obsesses about some of her toys now though is quite ideal. But the good thing about it is that her vet was very impressed by her teeth at her last checkup recently.

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    It took HRH a few months to show any interest in toys of any kind when we first got her. I was trying to encourage them so she wouldn't have to have her teeth cleaned too often. When we first got her they were very bad.
    Kongs had the same effect you describe. Then I tried squeaky ones. That turned a lightbulb on. After she killed a few stuffies with squeekies we reintroduced some silent toys she had ignored and suddenly they were ok too. She also loves the crackle of water bottles. We recently got a heavy duty rubber bottle wrap that has become a favorite. Kong knobby blue bones are another favorite. We found some cheap rubber pigs at wal-mart that oink. She really really loved those, but she killed all of them. I'm not so sure the way she obsesses about some of her toys now though is quite ideal. But the good thing about it is that her vet was very impressed by her teeth at her last checkup recently.
    She was deathly afraid of a the squeaking duck I got her at first. Now she loves it and doesn't rip it apart. She squeaks it with her mouth and steps on it.I'll get her to chase it a bit, then she's done. I saw the Kong that gets stuffed with a water bottle, that might work.

Lol.Im gonna try some other spices tomorrow. I'm.just not a big fan of the made in China toys, so options are limited. Hmmm maybe I'll make ssomething....
    Everyday I see an improvement. Everyday she respects and trusts me even more. I'm honored that she chose me...

Bully Bootie Duty My kids have 4 paws's Avatar
    Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

I pray for good results for you and your baby.
    Please let us know

Zeus & Paisley's Mamma
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I'm so happy to hear there's progress for Kiah. It took her a long time to get this messed up, so its going to take some time to undo whatever damage was done to her. Poor girl. I'm so glad you found each other.

As far as activities ideas go: Bea loves to chase bubbles. When she sees the bottle come out, she can't wait to get started chasing them. (She has an incredible prey drive) Bo isn't as interested in them as Bea is. Water bottles -- the crackly kind -- are a favorite here too. They don't get them unsupervised though as they can chew off pieces of them.

I am watching your progress with her. Keep up the good work!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I've been following this thread on my phone at odd moments at work when I have time to get on.

Never give up!! You are doing the most amazing job in rehabilitating her!!!! I totally agree with @Vicaroo1000 .. it has taken a lifetime of emotional and physical abuse to make her what she is today. So it may take a long time to make her realise that she can trust again. And by "trust" .. I mean to trust 24/7. I am sure that sometimes she must suddenly realise that she has let her guard down and allowed herself to be in a situation where you could hurt her in someway so immediately the defences go up.

Just be consistent and show her love and you will win her heart!!

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

Her guard is down with me more and more everyday. Its not really myself as much as it is enviormental/other people that forces her to go back into that mode, from what I've been learning about her. This past week she has been doing really well. We even went to the beach and she went into the water up to her chest. Her previous owners said she hates water, lol she couldn't get enough. It actually got to the point where we had to leave, she was getting way too overexcited.

I had a another behaviorist come by this week to evaluate her. He is ex israeli military and worked 12 years with their canine units. At first he was gonna recommend boot camp for her. Once I explained her situation and he saw my work with. He looked at me and said, "Mike, the only person that should train her is you!" She responds very well to you and you should rehab her. He said I came come to his farm and work on socialization with her and all his dogs. He will be there for me mainly for moral support. He said everything I've been doing is perfect.

Now.... he recommended something to me that 3 other behaviorists did as well. A prong collar. Im on the fence about this and I've read a lot about them and EB's. Many owners use them. Please, thoughts and concerns. Im not sure about it yet....
    Everyday I see an improvement. Everyday she respects and trusts me even more. I'm honored that she chose me...

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I'm not an expert but I'm anti prong collars. It seems like she has enough things to fear...does she really need another? And associated with YOU? You and her walks are her safe zone. Add a tool that to me punishes would be counter productive..in my opinion..

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Her guard is down with me more and more everyday. Its not really myself as much as it is enviormental/other people that forces her to go back into that mode, from what I've been learning about her. This past week she has been doing really well. We even went to the beach and she went into the water up to her chest. Her previous owners said she hates water, lol she couldn't get enough. It actually got to the point where we had to leave, she was getting way too overexcited.

I had a another behaviorist come by this week to evaluate her. He is ex israeli military and worked 12 years with their canine units. At first he was gonna recommend boot camp for her. Once I explained her situation and he saw my work with. He looked at me and said, "Mike, the only person that should train her is you!" She responds very well to you and you should rehab her. He said I came come to his farm and work on socialization with her and all his dogs. He will be there for me mainly for moral support. He said everything I've been doing is perfect.

Now.... he recommended something to me that 3 other behaviorists did as well. A prong collar. Im on the fence about this and I've read a lot about them and EB's. Many owners use them. Please, thoughts and concerns. Im not sure about it yet....
    Having worked with and been around many breeds and trainers using this tool... when used correctly it is a great tool that does NOT hurt the pup. It is meant to give a 'pinch' which replicates the mothers correct nip to the neck. Work with the behaviorist and see if you are comfortable using this collar, if you are not comfortable with it... it is best not to use it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

I've used them with shepards and rotties. The comfort level is there, I've just never used one with an EB. I do believe it will make a major difference with her. I've just read stcries about how they rip fur off the neck. That very well could be from neglect rather than proper use. Have you used them with your bullies?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I've used them with shepards and rotties. The comfort level is there, I've just never used one with an EB. I do believe it will make a major difference with her. I've just read stcries about how they rip fur off the neck. That very well could be from neglect rather than proper use. Have you used them with your bullies?

No, not with my bullies there was no need to. when I worked at a dog daycare, there were mostly shepards, mastiffs and pittys with them, but there was a Frenchie that needed one. It was actually pretty funny cause when the collar went one, she would literally freeze, would not move... take it off and she was a disciplined mess. Her leash was never attached to the collar so there was no correction with her, she just knew what it was after one correction when she was in training.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

That's my concern with Kiah, the same behavior as the Frenchy. I see it only as a temporary fix for the charging/lunging. Maybe my expectations are high, but I know she's smart and is on her way to being a master of association. My biggest concern is damage and with what I've been reading, there isn't any if its used 100% properly.

BTW...autocorrect sucks, just sayin

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I've used one on my Bo. There was a period of time where he would CHOKE HIMSELF TO LIGHT-HEADEDNESS to get to someone or something while on the leash. It was horrible! No touch to the flanks or jerk of the lead would snap him out of it. Cindy at CBRR showed me how to use one and yes, it worked perfectly. It was a temporary tool - that's all.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads