Thread: Need some help asap...

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need some help asap...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyproof View Post
    Just an update. We had a near perfect week, not one episode. Interestingly enough, I changed her food and saw major improvements in her demeanor and potty time. I had friends over this week to help me work with socializing and proper manners. I've been taking her new places at night for our walks. Whether it be the beach, a new neighborhood or a wooded area. I did get a second opinion and the vet wants to wait to see if there is another episode. This may have pointed to an environmental issue from where she used to live. Still no concrete answers. She was soo good this week I even slept in the living room a couple nights with her while her crate was open. Risky, I know but it actually improved our bond. One morning she even woke me up by licking and nuzzling my hand.

Wonderful Update! Keep up the great work!

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

Well.... she regressed yesterday. She was chewing a bone and went to attack me repeatedly when I walked by her. She was fully aware I was there. I have played with her with the same bone. I'm heartbroken. She has been acting odd ever since. All her motor skills seen normal. I understand the resource guarding, but she hasn't done this for weeks and before it was a bully stick. Normally I can take anything from her. She slept most of the day yesterday, we went on a few walks. We had playtime, everything was normal.

I'm sooo distraught.....
    Everyday I see an improvement. Everyday she respects and trusts me even more. I'm honored that she chose me...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyproof View Post
    Well.... she regressed yesterday. She was chewing a bone and went to attack me repeatedly when I walked by her. She was fully aware I was there. I have played with her with the same bone. I'm heartbroken. She has been acting odd ever since. All her motor skills seen normal. I understand the resource guarding, but she hasn't done this for weeks and before it was a bully stick. Normally I can take anything from her. She slept most of the day yesterday, we went on a few walks. We had playtime, everything was normal.

I'm sooo distraught.....

So sorry to hear this.... I wish I had advice to help or some additional pointers for you, but you are doing everything I can think of to retrain and gain her trust. Have you contacted your behaviorist since this happen?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Mike
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kiah (Kee-aah)
    Likes (Received)

I have, they said the same thing you did. Im doing everything I should be. This is baffling...

To make matters worse, about 2 hours after this happened last night, I took her out for a walk and she tried to attack one of my neighbors. He announced himself, she wasn't startled, she went into full attack mode for no reason. She was down in a pounce position, fully tense, hackles up and teeth bared.

This morning, my neighbor was walking his bully, in the street, 30 or so yards from my door and she charged the door hard, from inside the apt. She's never done that before. I backed her up.with just voice commands, waited a couple minutes and opened the door and she charged the door again. I used the hand command for out and said it as well. She then gave me the same eyes she did last night and bared her teeth a bit as she backed up. She has never done that as well. I have talked to sooo many people about this, read books, watched videos, Im just about stumped.

5 minutes before the door charge, she was nuzzling my arm....
    Everyday I see an improvement. Everyday she respects and trusts me even more. I'm honored that she chose me...

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Awe bullyproof. I am so sorry. I don't have any advise, either. My heart goes out to both of you. Please continue to keep us posted. Have you thought about contacting Cesar Milan?
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I understand how frustrated and helpless you must feel. With Mabel our experience has been 1 step forward and many times, 3 steps back. It does still sound like you're making progress, even though it seems hopeless at times. God bless you for taking on this poor damaged soul who desperately needs the love and care you are providing. You have already made a huge difference in her life.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

What a horrible mystery! I wish I had some insight and advice to give you but I can only offer support - I can't imagine what you are going through here! Stay strong!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ohhhh no. It almost sounds like a tumor or something. Definitely sounds neurological. Whatever you decide...you have given her a true chance. Sadly, we can't fix everyone and everything. You have to be able to trust her..and trust her with others. In any other place, the chances are that by now she would've bitten someone. This is truly heartbreaking and I wish I could help.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Ohhhh no. It almost sounds like a tumor or something. Definitely sounds neurological. Whatever you decide...you have given her a true chance. Sadly, we can't fix everyone and everything. You have to be able to trust her..and trust her with others. In any other place, the chances are that by now she would've bitten someone. This is truly heartbreaking and I wish I could help.
    I was thinking tumor also, Becky. There are definitely some things we can't fix. So sad, but it sounds like Mike has done everything right.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to offer but hugs! You r doing the best you can and then some. Much more than most would do.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi Mike, just wanted to let you know that I too think you're doing such a fabulous job w/Kiah. I do not if there's a medical etiology to Kiah's behavior...I think you're planning or did have some neuro tests and an MRI done on her (?) Anyways, I do know her history of past abuse is playing a huge role in her present state of mind. Seeing that you've had her for about a month I think, you've made such progress with her. I know it's easy for me and all of us to say, but keep going! There are times when I think my two bullies are just getting along so well, and then bam! another fight with bloodshed. Leaves me feeling very frustrated and defeated sometimes.

I was listening to this "pet expert" yesterday on the radio and he was talking about how dogs who are rescued from shelters, particularly those who have had a rough life/background like Kiah had, are usually very well behaved and everything is like a "honeymoon period" w/their new owners when they first get home. After being comfortable with the owner and new home after a few weeks however, the dog may start to show signs of his past abuse/treatment (in the form of being aggressive). This is b/c the dog now let's "his guard down", so to speak.
    Sorry if i'm babbling but I was just thinking of that pet expert's words and wondering if this applies to Kiah's case or not.

I continue to look forward to hearing updates on Kiah and will keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your loving efforts in getting Kiah better.

Real Name
    nancy l
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    abigail & jackson
    Likes (Received)

Please have her checked for lupus! My bully had lupus we didnt find out til too late we couldn't save him! He was so gentle one moment and the next he would snap. It was like he was dr.Jekyll and mmr.hyde,

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads