first day of school

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Well....Ernie and I went to our first day of school the other day.:eek:. The only thing I was worried about was him pooping in school, but hey, that happens and I knew he was going to shine as we had been working really hard. I was really excited as I had taught him a few things such as sit, come and leave it. There were six dogs...all around 14-16 weeks. The trainer brings us into a circle so she can talk to us. Ernie barked the entire time. Then she said we would start by calling our dog's names to see if they know their name. He knows his. Of course, only dog to not respond at all. Then we started with trying to keep your dogs focus for a few seconds. These other dogs were lovingly gazing into their owners eyes for minutes while ernie was spazing around trying to do everything but look at me.
Then we go to sit. I am now thinking...here we go, I will show that trainer that he really knows things as I think she was getting tired of me saying that he does all of this at home. Sit we have at home down pat. We get an A plus at home with sit. After 20 tries...no sit. The stepford dogs sat quietly each time at the end of their leashes waiting paitently for their owners to release them.
We then go to down, which ernie had not yet mastered(doing well now though) so we worked on that while the others just laid at their owners feet. Last lesson was come. Knew we had this one! All you had to do was call your dog while holding treats in your hand. All of the dogs do it of course and then Ernie is up(keep in mind the mechanical dogs have not peed or pooped in class at all). Ernie circles the trainer...pees...circles her the other way...poops.. and runs right by me when I call him. Goes home...does everything we did in class beautifully and goes to bed.:D That's my boy!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
LMAO @ The Stepford Dogs.

First day of school is pretty darned exciting! I'm surprised he did any of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great little bully!! He decided to play instead of be a robot!!

Just curious... did the trainer let the pups play for the first 15 mins of class or just go right into commands?

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
trainer went right to class. i was really disappointed as I was thinking how much fun for Ernie to get to play with some puppies. They were allowed to sniff noses. Our other dog is a very old 12 so they do not play. I take Ernie to petsmart 3x a week to play with the trainers puppy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
trainer went right to class. i was really disappointed as I was thinking how much fun for Ernie to get to play with some puppies. They were allowed to sniff noses. Our other dog is a very old 12 so they do not play. I take Ernie to petsmart 3x a week to play with the trainers puppy.

There lays the issue.... she should give 15 mins of play -- 30 mins of training and then again 15 mins of play. Puppy class is more about learning to socialize and play correctly. Make mention and she if she agress.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I am thinking there will be no playing in puppy class. I think for our next session of classes we will go elsewhere. This place was recommended by many people but might not be a fit for us.

Most Reactions