URGENT!!! Please help!

Jenn Lynch

Apr 1, 2011
[h=5]I have a question and I hope someone can answer it or help. We have Buster who is a yr and a half. We just got an 18 week old bully who we've named Bendy. We just got her and he is so aggressive towards her. If she gets near him its like he wants to fight her. He did it yesterday and both had blood on them. I hope u guys can help with a possible solution. I won't be leaving them alone that's for sure. I just don't want to have to rehome Bendy. We have a shitzu that buster doesn't bother at all.[/h]With this if she gets near him in the house is when its more apparent. Outside he is ok with her. Doesn't really want to interact with her but will smell her and let her smell him. He will growl and its not a just get away from me growl its the growl like he wants to kill her. He has gotten food and water aggressive towards any other dogs except our Shitzu or our cats. The cats and the Shitzu he's been around since he was a puppy. I don't know if maybe we didn't introduce them right or what. When we brought Bendy home we had them meet outside and then brought them in.

Please help us cuz we love both of them very much. Bendy we've only had a day and I would hate to have to rehome her.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, Jenn...I'm going to let the more experienced members help
you (and they will) but I wanted to tell you I will pray for insight, solutions and
control of this situation for you, I know how scared & heartsick you are, these
members are so very skilled & knowledgeable and have seen & handled it all.

Stay calm, quietly authoritive and keep them separated at ALL times right now.

Is he intact (not neutered)?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We will get some ideas for you..let me tag a few members who might have help..
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When you brought them in the house... did Buster enter before Bendy? If not - that is part of the problem.... take them for a walk. Each bully is with a human and the humans are between the pups (bully on outside, human, human, bully on outside)... take them for a good walk (15-20 mins.. more if they can handle it) around the neighborhood... do not let them interact and just walk - no stopping to snif/smell - just walk. When you return home - Buster should enter house BEFORE Bendy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: to the site Jenn, sorry you found us through aggression. I'm wondering if he (Buster) doesn't have fear aggression towards her? unsure of what kind of energy she brings to him. maybe if you sit with Bendy on the floor between your legs and wait for Buster to come to you and Bendy. Perhaps he feels trapped in the house with her if her energy level is too high. Try to keep Bendy's energy level down by talk quietly and not in a high pitch. Calm , relaxed and confident. You are pack leader, don't forget it, carry it in your attitude. Make it work. Put a collar and leash on both of them so you have more control. and go outside often and take them for walks together .

OP
J

Jenn Lynch

Apr 1, 2011
Thank you. He is intact still so I am wondering if that is part of his issue with her.

OP
J

Jenn Lynch

Apr 1, 2011
I am not sure who entered first because I had walked in after them so I am not sure. Now since then I have been having him enter first just to make sure. When he goes after her I separate them and scold him before being a pain in the rear. Even when I grab his collar and pull him back she runs off scared to death and he will fight me to get back to her. But since I won't let him go till he calms down he can't get to her. I will try the walk suggestion and see if that will work. He seems ok with her outside unless she trys to grab his stick from him, but he is that way with any dog but then he just growls at them and they back off and so does she.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am not sure who entered first because I had walked in after them so I am not sure. Now since then I have been having him enter first just to make sure. When he goes after her I separate them and scold him before being a pain in the rear. Even when I grab his collar and pull him back she runs off scared to death and he will fight me to get back to her. But since I won't let him go till he calms down he can't get to her. I will try the walk suggestion and see if that will work. He seems ok with her outside unless she trys to grab his stick from him, but he is that way with any dog but then he just growls at them and they back off and so does she.

Yes, being intact will add to his tolerance level of her. he runs off scared becasue their is a language between them that we can not see or hear so until she knows he is OK with her being out and about, she will stay clear of him. The walks will help, but you need to make sure Buster KNOWS you are the alphs and he is second - stay consistent with him

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It may help to keep a harness and maybe a leash on him to control his behavior and any fight he may start. When he does start a fight with her, when you get it broken up grab him firmly by the side of the face and tell him NO in a very stern voice. Make them both work for their affection, food, and when you take them outside you go through the door first and come in first. Feed them separate and I would feed her first for now and make him wait. The walks together will help also. Just try to stay calm as they can pick up on your reaction. With time and persistence you will get through this.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When you brought them in the house... did Buster enter before Bendy? If not - that is part of the problem.... take them for a walk. Each bully is with a human and the humans are between the pups (bully on outside, human, human, bully on outside)... take them for a good walk (15-20 mins.. more if they can handle it) around the neighborhood... do not let them interact and just walk - no stopping to snif/smell - just walk. When you return home - Buster should enter house BEFORE Bendy.

Long walks together will help solidify their bond as a pack. Buster seems to be asserting his role as the boss around there -- is he aware that he's a notch below his human pack leaders? Google "NILF" or "Nothing In Life Is Free" and put both dogs on this program immediately. Keeping them separated when you cannot 100% watch them (and provide leadership) will help. You don't want them to get into the "habit" of squabbling all the time. Your anxiousness when they are together isn't going to be helpful either. Calm and assertive!!! Those long walks together will also tire them out a bit. A good dog is a tired dog. (Some dogs fight with each other out of sheer boredom - not saying this is your problem, just sayin') Closely supervise cooperative activities like sitting for treats and waiting for the other to have his/her treat or chasing a ball. Lavish praise on them when they're playing/behaving/anything cooperatively. Above all BE FAIR. Dogs have a sense of what fairness is and it's not fair to favor Bendy over Buster just because he's being a poop at the moment. LOL

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Try positive reinforcement. Keep them separate and any time they are near each other they both get very very special treats. You may want to start with the pup in a crate for safety. Teach the older bully that any time the new pup is near very good things happen but they only happen when new pup is near
Try hot dogs . Most dog's love love love those. Dont use the regular treats you give them
These won't be high value enough.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Great advice already given. Glad you posted here for more help. ;) all I have to offer is the feeding suggestions I gave on fb. Please update us so we know how this is all coming along. I hope it comes together soon for you. With us, Miila found her place after a few exhausting months. She finally got it and understood what the rules were. Since then the pack of 3 get along great and we not have much worry. She did regress a bit ago, I think her terrible 2s kicked in and she was trying to step up to Cutty who is the alpha. I went back to handfeeding her last and she jumped right back in line. (Thankfully)

getting him neutered will also help to mellow him out some I think. It sure mellowed Cutty out back when we had him fixed. Good luck!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Try positive reinforcement. Keep them separate and any time they are near each other they both get very very special treats. You may want to start with the pup in a crate for safety. Teach the older bully that any time the new pup is near very good things happen but they only happen when new pup is near
Try hot dogs . Most dog's love love love those. Dont use the regular treats you give them
These won't be high value enough.

HAHAHAHA! That's what I told the Vet I took Cami to see Tuesday, "She won't eat HOTDOGS!"

She wasn't eating anything(much)was crating herself, lethargic & depressed,ran a CBC & Thyroid,
all was normal, after spending $200 she came home, ate like a piggy at supper and has been fine
ever since!

:p Bullies...gotta love em and I sure do!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've got some great advice. Keep us updated!!! :up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.