Help Needed! Digging when nothing to dig

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Our boys have their crates to sleep in. They have no bedding because they chew it up. Anyway after, usually Gomer, goes to sleep for awhile (and after wife and I are asleep) he will get up and begin to "dig" in his crate as if he were trying to fluff it or dig for a cooler spot. And this can last for minutes. I will tell him to stop, or sleep, but he continues. I don't want to get loud for fear of "waking" him and Vince both. I am wanting to put some cushion in their crates for them but if he doesn't chew it I don't want him to tear it. I am going to try putting a cushion in the crates right before I put them in for bed, and fill their Kongs with peanut butter and carrots, hoping that will tire them out and fall asleep without destroying the bedding. Any ideas on the "digging" ?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Here are some other great ideas for those long chews these ideas came from 2BullyMama
dog bones.jpg

Marrow bones which you can get these from you local grocery store or butcher. They are sometimes over 8 or 9 inches long so I just ask for them to be cut into 4 or 5 inches; this way all the marrow is reachable for the pup.

These are frozen and raw (front right), do not cook them. Just give right from the freezer, they last for hours and are also great for teething as the cold help with the pain. You can give it to them for as long as you want.

Once the marrow is done, you can stuff with yogurt, peanut butter (front center) or cream cheese and freeze. I also leave them empty (back left) for a few days after peanut butter and let them just chew on the empty bone.

It keeps them busy for hours and when done... they are exhausted and sleep for the next few hours. Very happy bully!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The 'digging' is actually them 'nesting'.... just trying to get comfy sort of how we flip pillows

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The 'digging' is actually them 'nesting'.... just trying to get comfy sort of how we flip pillows
One of my bullmastiffs "nested" all the way through a very expensive comforter on my bed. I was ready to strangle her! So far, we haven't seen any evidence of Mabel digging.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

:yes:

Bea always "digs" her bed before she lays down. Bo doesn't usually. She's never ruined a dog bed or dog blanket doing it.