Help Needed! Zeus peeing in his bed

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
Ok, Zeus has been an angel as far as not peeing in his crate. Since Paisley came along he is in a larger crate that is wire versus the plastic one he had with his blanket and foam bed. (she has his plastic crate now)
He keeps peeing in it! I normally wash their blankets and stuff 2-3 times a week anyway to keep it from smelling bc we all know bullies drool and slobber.
Oh paisley is coming into heat and I THINK that may have something to do with it.
Helppppp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366165900.529760.jpg
Zeus after being fused at

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Sorry I didn't see this before. The only thing I can come up with is....does he have enough room in his new crate to pee and not be sitting in it? Perhaps the crate is too big? I can't tell from the picture you posted. I'm sure others can help more than this. Good Luck. I know its frustrating

OP
My kids have 4 paws

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I went yesterday and bought a new crate. The one I had for him was a little small. I bought the same type of crate this time slightly bigger than his original one.
Hopefully this will help. I will let you know.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This forum sees MANY posts like yours. If you search "Peeing in crate", you'll probably see a bazillion links come up. It's a familiar thing and nothing's wrong with your dog typically. I think many pups might go thru this.

1) make sure nothing's medically wrong with him - kidney infection / bladder infection
2) make 1000% sure the's emptied his bladder BEFORE being crated -- strict schedule will REMOVE all housebreaking horrors....
3) remove bedding until he gets a handle on that bladder -- that usually resolves it.

a crate being too small is usually not the problem. Too big is the problem generally.

OP
My kids have 4 paws

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
I figured his problem was the different crate he was in. He normally had a plastic crate instead of wire. I put him in the wire one and that's when it started.
I felt that it was a result of a couple of things
1. This crate (the wire one) felt more open therefore making him feel like he had more room.
2. Paisley is coming into heat.

I purchased a plastic crate identical to the one he had slightly larger. He did well last night and went right to sleep instead of sitting straight up and panting like he did with the wire crate.
I've never had potty training issues with him. Surprisingly he was great. He does not potty in the house lets you know when he has to go too. That's why this was baffling to me. But I think the issue MAY have been fixed

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 40869
He was assisting me yesterday pick out a new crate haha

Whatta cutie pie.

Maybe he likes the "closed in" nature of the plastic crates? I got metal ones when some one told me that bulldogs should never been in plastic crates. *shrugs* I think they can get pretty hot in there if you're not careful. I would never put a plastic crate near any kind of a heat source. I have an afghan draped over the top of their crates -- because they like a lid. More den like, probably huh?

P8100002.jpg

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I love how you have the crates next to each other. I have the exact same crate for Ulysses but all I can put in there is his stuffed teddy "puppy" and a towel. I would love to put something cushy for him to lay on, but he will definitely pee on it, it has happened a hundred times. I'm not really sure why, but the bad habit just comes back from time to time.

Whatta cutie pie.

Maybe he likes the "closed in" nature of the plastic crates? I got metal ones when some one told me that bulldogs should never been in plastic crates. *shrugs* I think they can get pretty hot in there if you're not careful. I would never put a plastic crate near any kind of a heat source. I have an afghan draped over the top of their crates -- because they like a lid. More den like, probably huh?

View attachment 40916

OP
My kids have 4 paws

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
Oh yeah I know plastic ones are not ideal. But he loves it. Strange I know. It stays really cold in our room. I like it when it's in the 60's haha not good for my arthritis but I don't like it cold.
He has done much better with the new crate. He is just a picky little thing.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I love how you have the crates next to each other. I have the exact same crate for Ulysses but all I can put in there is his stuffed teddy "puppy" and a towel. I would love to put something cushy for him to lay on, but he will definitely pee on it, it has happened a hundred times. I'm not really sure why, but the bad habit just comes back from time to time.

You know, Bo went through a very brief period where he also peed on his bed when crated at night. So this "habit" couldn't be established, I made sure he had a nice long potty break before bed and removed all bedding. He stopped. And I waited a good long while before I started to put the bedding back in.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.