invisible fence question...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
we live in a no fence neighborhood. we have had an invisible fence for years with our boxers and have never had an issue. I will not start working with our bulldog until he is around 5 months(14 weeks now) but I am wondering if anyone has found them a bit more difficult to train on the fence. I have a lot of issues trying to get him to walk down the driveway already for a walk(once he hits the street he is ok) so I am a bit concerned how the fence will go.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hmmmm good question, I know, bad answer. I have never used an invisible fence, but I wouldn't think a bully would be any harder to teach than any other dog, even though they can be stubborn sometimes. I would not let them out unsupervised though as they do have a high tolerance to pain and if they want out they will ignore the pain. I'm sure someone who has used this before will be along shortly. Plus in case I have not said it before, welcome to the site.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We had the Invisible Fence with Dobies..and it worked great. I am not sure about Bully's tho. Honestly..I would be afraid of someone stealing Ernie..a Doberman...no...but a Bully? Yes.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't have any advice for you b/c this is the first time i've ever heard of an invisible fence. Sounds interesting.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We live where you can't have a fenced yard too. I have thought about an invisible fence but would be worried more about what could get IN and not the bulldog getting OUT. I know these dogs are high on the list for theft. With Mabel, her history of dog aggression could be a problem if another dog wandered into the yard.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
We only let our dogs out for a few minutes...never for extended time periods. The theft thing worries me so they will be out for just the bathroom unless someone is out with them!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I lived out in the boonies years ago and had invisible fencing, it worked great, but you must walk your dog the perimeter of the area you don't want them to walk out of. train them to the peeps and when to come back inside the area so they don't cross, so you are teaching them to use the beeps as a barrier. If they get shocked, they're supposed to come back inside the barrier.
from a unit inside the house, you set the strength and width of the shock/beep area. for instance you can have the beep area turned up high so it beeps for 6ft before getting outside the area. or set the width small like 1-2 feet and that will be the barrier width. I used it on a Golden Retriever, eventually she got so use to the area she would behave only when she had the collar on. They figure it out. Two sets of prongs come with the collar, long prongs for long haired dogs and short prongs for short haired dogs. You must bury the wire at least 3 inches deep and if the connection is ever broken, so is the system. you must then find the area where the disconnect is and reconnect.. I rented a lawn edger to create the depth for the line and area.
thats about it.

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
We have an invisible fence and I have no issues with it. She is very stubborn but it keeps here where she needs to be. I have the wireless kind so depending on what's going on outside I can change how much of an area she is allowed in. I tried training for beeps but she was stubborn. Just took one shock for her to know those beeps mean hurt. She knows her line and rarely even goes to try to cross it regardless if cat comes near her or not. I'm always home when she's out. I wouldn't leave her home alone on it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Sorry I am of no help but wanted to say Good Luck! From one former boxer owner (and will own another in the future) to you!

forgetmeryl

May 24, 2014
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor and Deliliah
Hello everyone! Im new to this site and this question may have been answered but i havent seen it. I was curious how the shocking would affect their heart. Weve had skin issues with our female and our vet said both of our bulldogs are in excellent health with the exception of being a little overweight but im still a little concerned of thrm having a heart attack.

Thanksvin advance for any feedback!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4::welcome4:Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with invisible fences either. I'm not sure if a bully would be stubborn enough to ignore the shocks, plus I would worry that these would hurt them. I'm sure others with more experience will be along shortly to offer advice. I just wanted to welcome you to the site. Ernie is a cutie.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
I used a invisible fence years ago for our family dog and all they had back then was the shocking Collar's. They now have wireless unit's with collar's that have just a beep-only mode and some have vibration mode. I never liked the shocking collar's.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have any personal experience w/invisible fence but my brother uses them… he has a lab mix and a frenchie. Sometimes if the lab sees something he "REALLY" wants her will jump the fence and take the shock… like a cat or squirrel. I would be wary of someone stealing my bully personally.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im not a fan of anything with " shock " as it cant be good for them so maybe put a normal fence

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...as they do have a high tolerance to pain and if they want out they will ignore the pain.
yes, yes, yes...Back when I had an invisible fence, if one of my 2 bulldogs(Hoss) wanted out, he would walk up to the fence until the collar started beeping and then close his eyes and walk right through it. But once he got out, he would NOT do a repeat performance to get back in. He'd just sit at the fence and bark.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.