Out of Control Licking!! grrrr

Chubbalicious

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs
Any suggestions how to get my loverboy to stop licking me every moment? Is it an anxiety thing?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson will go on licking episodes. The only thing that works for him is Bitter Apple. Somethings I have to spray his feet. He loves to lick the carpet and the couch. Bitter Apple solves the problem every time. For his feet, I do make sure that there's nothing bothering him like allergies, a sore, etc. He loves to lick.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Any suggestions how to get my loverboy to stop licking me every moment? Is it an anxiety thing?

Huh, don't you hate that? jeesh, a quick no before he starts, and consistency should work, consistency being key

and by the way, so glad you're here :smileywelcome: to EBN

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Need to find something Chubbs likes liking more than you. Do you have a toy that you can put peanut butter in or on? Some are attracted to ice cubes. Go to the pet store and let Chubbs pic out a favorite toy. There are lots of toys that you can put treats in if he is food motivated, since it sounds like weight isn't an issue. Is there a word or a sign that you use with Chubbs when you are doing therapy work at the hospital that tells him not to lick? If so can you use it at home?

Good Luck and welcome to EBN!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Buddy does this too sometimes, he loves bare legs. We just tell him "NO". Sometimes it works and sometimes we have to tell him several times. Your baby just loves ya. Plus welcome to the site, and we need some pics of your baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:faint: Banks is like this too, but only with her Daddy... :giggle:

As others have said, a firm no with consistency will get him to stop when you tell him to

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is an obsessive compulsive licker. It's something she will do mostly in the evenings if we are focused more on our computers or the TV instead of her.

"No Lick" is only semi effective. When it comes to her wanting to lick on me. She knows it gets my attention quicker than anything so she will do it just for that purpose.
For paw licking, We also put Bitter Apple on her paws to stop her licking them, because she will lick them raw if we don't. I've even resorted to bandaging her legs to try to control it. Also not really effective.
Air licking we can usually finally stop by diverting her attention by playing with her or giving her a favorite toy to chew on. But it takes persistence sometimes. As soon as we stop playing she will start licking again.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Mine do this sometimes - the couch, my feet - but I've found it's something they grow out of. How old is your baby? Maybe it'll get better with age?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus licks quite a bit right after he gets done drinking. He will come over to his bed, start licking, then start spinning around before he lays.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.