Help Needed! Behavior is changing

Fionasmom

Mar 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona Faith Marie
2012-12-03 19.30.59.jpgAfter my Bully passed away of 5 years, the grieving was horrible. Three months later I had the opportunity to buy a 6 month old bully asap. She was from breeders who were young and unexperienced. They needed to get rid of her as they could only take 2 dogs to their new home. Fiona was from a litter of 8 and no one wanted her so they kept her. She was crated most of her life in the garage. When I got her she was loving, timid and was afraid of sounds and new objects. As soon as I introduced her to new things, she was fine and remembered them. I socialized her quickly and brought her to work with me everyday where I run a youth theatre. She was also socialized with other dogs too. After 3 months, she seems have taken on a new personality. She barks at everything. The hairdryer, the coffee grinder, new people. She never reacted like that before, she would just cower under me until I introduced her to the object. She also wants to play 24/7, but nips at your fingers in a playful way, to get you to play with her. I bought her lots of chewing toys. Any suggestions for excess barking and nipping at our fingers? Thank you,

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well...I think she is just finding herself. She is acting out puppy behavior, which is perfectly normal. Except as an older pup..she can do damage! I would keep her on a leash ànd immediately correct any behavior you see that is troubling. A small pull on the leash along with your "no" word. Repetition and consistency. She will catch on.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds to me like she is doing what a puppy would and just trying to figure out where she stands in you pack. I think she will settle down over time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well...I think she is just finding herself. She is acting out puppy behavior, which is perfectly normal. Except as an older pup..she can do damage! I would keep her on a leash ànd immediately correct any behavior you see that is troubling. A small pull on the leash along with your "no" word. Repetition and consistency. She will catch on.

^^^ agreed

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I agree with everyone in the thread. Thank god you rescued her from those horrible idiots. Would you mind PMing me their address? I have a 'gift' I'd like them to have.

Even though Fiona is six months old, pretend she's just a wee pup and do all the things you would in training a wee one. Patience and gentle - but strong -- leadership is going to help this insecure girl! She's going to bloom into an amazing dog!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.