Help Needed! Aggression in Gretchen

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
Gretchen has been really good for a few weeks now. she has started listening and stopped alot of the bad aggression. She barely ever snaps anymore unless she knows that shes in trouble. Now that is finally nice here my children have started playing outside. she refuses to let them swing. she bites them and she won't let them off the swing. she only does it for my children. this morning she did it to me. I am not sure why she does this. I don't like it at all. she needs to be outside with us when it is nice versus cooped up inside. I need this behavior to stop. how can I stop this? also she doesn't like loud noises at all. she will eat the tiller up or attack the tractor LOL. is this a bull dog trait? can anyone help me with this. I want Gretchen to be out with us and I am not gonna tolerate her bitting the kids ( I should say nipping really hard) no teeth marks ever just scratches. She gets fixed next monday. will this help some or not?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would say leash when outside. I am no expert but that needs to be corrected, obviously. I would think that the leash will help correct her.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
at first I thought she thought they were hurt cause they were laughing and having a good time. Not sure if its the noise of swing or the quick motion. I want her to have free range of the yard that is set in her boundaries. I will make it smaller if it keeps happening so they can play in peace but I want to know if there is something that might be triggering it or what is a solution to fix it so she is not confined

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It could just be her over excitement by them. Miila is nuts with random things but more of an OCD towards a toy if the kids r playing loudly with it. Push toys like a shopping cart are horrid around here. She goes after the wheels. I don't know how to curb the behavior exactly tho. Maybe a can of coins or something to get her attention away from the kids swinging and when she backs off reward with a carrot or something?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I got the dogs to stop attacking the vacuum by putting treats on the top of it. Now they think it's a treat dispenser. I give them treats while I vacuum and at the end. Hopefully one day they will just ignore it. Maybe this will work with the tiller and the tractor. I just tagged [MENTION=8538]BarbaraDavis[/MENTION] she is a new member who is a behavioralist maybe she has some points about the swings.

Please remember how far you have come. You are doing a great job!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so glad she's doing better. But she's not ready to handle being "free range" especially with children. Her reaction is from the children's excitement. Don't feel sorry that she is cooped up! No way would I let her out with squealing children. It can take months and months to rehabilitate her. It's at least as long as she is old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said.... this is all from too much excitement. do not feel bad about her being inside while the children play -- you either have to keep her in or on leash with you while with the children. it is in the best interest of all. As Becky said .... this can take months and months for her to settle in to. Not sure if spaying will help settle her with this, she just does not know what is going on and it works her nerves.

As for her attacking the tiller and tractor.... try redirecting her with treats, toys or use a spray bottle with water and squirt her with a firm "NO' when she starts. I have this issue with Banks and the vacuum cleaner - she is 7 yrs old and nothing has worked, but putting her in a crate or another room till I am done.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Others have given you some good advise, and I also would keep her on a leash when outside. It will take a long time for her to settle down if ever. Spaying her will not change this behavior, just consistency and patience.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.