Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: She is scared and barks at kids!

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default She is scared and barks at kids!

    Izzy has been exposed to almost everything during her first 4 months... I followed her vet instructions to show her the world but one thing we missed was to expose her to children.... Not sure if this has anything to do with her current behaviour but she is always scared of kids and now she barks at them.

    On Saturday we were at the dog park and this family had a little girl, Izzy left my side to run where the little girl was and started barking at her. The mother of course gave me a dirty look and I apologized saying that Izzy is scared of kids and that's why she barks.

    I dont know how to work on this. Most of my friends dont have kids so it's not like I can train Izzy and slowly expose her to. I noticed that the higher voice pitches and screams of the child will trigger Izzy to be scared and bark

    Any idea on how can I address this problem?

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  2. #2
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    If you could find a friend or relative with a child you could practice with Izzy on a leash; have the child hold a treat, then have the child call her name. As Izzy approaches the child, he/she can give her the treat. All this time you'd be holding the leash and watching Izzy close of course, in case she snaps or wants to bite the kid.
    Then Izzy can associate treats with kids and it would be a positive experience.

    But since you can't "find" a kid, I don't know how else to remedy this. I'm sure others will have some advice for you.




  3. #3
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    @cali baker - thats the problem. My only friend that has a girl brought her a couple times to my place but Sofi freaks out when Izzy barks and she screams which makes Izzy even more scared of kids....

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  4. #4
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    @Izzy's Mom, how about some very short adults??!!




  5. #5
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Alice Kable's Avatar
    Location
    Joseph, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    4,424
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    Ruggles isn't afraid of kids but he gets very excited when he sees kids, especially running, squealing kids. My grandkids live 6 and 8 hours away so I started taking Ruggles on walks in town where he would see kids daily. I would have him sit (for treats and he won't sit until he sees there is a treat) and then the kid(s) could pet him. He got used to that and we moved on to him standing (no treat) and being petted by the kids. All was well....until before Easter when a little girl was clutching a stuffed rabbit and my bad boy snatched the rabbit and she cried. So, yeah, Ruggles can't be trusted when kids have food or stuffed toys!

  6. #6
    Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    831
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    How about playing YouTube videos on your computer of kids birthday parties. At least he could get used to the noise.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

  7. #7
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christyjulene View Post
    How about playing YouTube videos on your computer of kids birthday parties. At least he could get used to the noise.
    Great idea!


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  8. #8
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    kim n the guys's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Holt, MI
    Posts
    1,592
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    this is what I did with my boys it might help, little kids are always willing. Take her to petsmart or petco or some other pet friendly establishment on a weekend when kids are more likely to be in the stores. Ask the parents if it's okay if their children help you "train" Izzy. First, let Izzy see the child from a short distance and if/when she doesn't react, treat her. Then move a little closer and have the child offer a treat to Izzy. It may take a few tries/visits to accomplish this but eventually she will associate kids with treats and rubs and what bulldog doesn't want those?
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

  9. #9
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @Izzy's Mom, how about some very short adults??!!
    I was on the elevator leaving work when I read your message and made me laugh out loud!

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  10. #10
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    Quote Originally Posted by christyjulene View Post
    How about playing YouTube videos on your computer of kids birthday parties. At least he could get used to the noise.
    good idea, so at least she gets more exposed to the sounds. Thanks

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  11. #11
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Houston - TX
    Posts
    813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)
    237

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    Quote Originally Posted by kim n the guys View Post
    this is what I did with my boys it might help, little kids are always willing. Take her to petsmart or petco or some other pet friendly establishment on a weekend when kids are more likely to be in the stores. Ask the parents if it's okay if their children help you "train" Izzy. First, let Izzy see the child from a short distance and if/when she doesn't react, treat her. Then move a little closer and have the child offer a treat to Izzy. It may take a few tries/visits to accomplish this but eventually she will associate kids with treats and rubs and what bulldog doesn't want those?

    great idea too, thanks! at least inside the pet stores I am sure the parents will be more willing to help me out on this matter.

    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

  12. #12
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: She is scared and barks at kids!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    Ruggles isn't afraid of kids but he gets very excited when he sees kids, especially running, squealing kids. My grandkids live 6 and 8 hours away so I started taking Ruggles on walks in town where he would see kids daily. I would have him sit (for treats and he won't sit until he sees there is a treat) and then the kid(s) could pet him. He got used to that and we moved on to him standing (no treat) and being petted by the kids. All was well....until before Easter when a little girl was clutching a stuffed rabbit and my bad boy snatched the rabbit and she cried. So, yeah, Ruggles can't be trusted when kids have food or stuffed toys!
    I like this idea!

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •