Help Needed! She is scared and barks at kids!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy has been exposed to almost everything during her first 4 months... I followed her vet instructions to show her the world but one thing we missed was to expose her to children.... Not sure if this has anything to do with her current behaviour but she is always scared of kids and now she barks at them.

On Saturday we were at the dog park and this family had a little girl, Izzy left my side to run where the little girl was and started barking at her. The mother of course gave me a dirty look and I apologized saying that Izzy is scared of kids and that's why she barks.

I dont know how to work on this. Most of my friends dont have kids so it's not like I can train Izzy and slowly expose her to. I noticed that the higher voice pitches and screams of the child will trigger Izzy to be scared and bark :(

Any idea on how can I address this problem?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
If you could find a friend or relative with a child you could practice with Izzy on a leash; have the child hold a treat, then have the child call her name. As Izzy approaches the child, he/she can give her the treat. All this time you'd be holding the leash and watching Izzy close of course, in case she snaps or wants to bite the kid.
Then Izzy can associate treats with kids and it would be a positive experience.

But since you can't "find" a kid, I don't know how else to remedy this. I'm sure others will have some advice for you.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - thats the problem. My only friend that has a girl brought her a couple times to my place but Sofi freaks out when Izzy barks and she screams which makes Izzy even more scared of kids.... :(

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles isn't afraid of kids but he gets very excited when he sees kids, especially running, squealing kids. My grandkids live 6 and 8 hours away so I started taking Ruggles on walks in town where he would see kids daily. I would have him sit (for treats and he won't sit until he sees there is a treat) and then the kid(s) could pet him. He got used to that and we moved on to him standing (no treat) and being petted by the kids. All was well....until before Easter when a little girl was clutching a stuffed rabbit and my bad boy snatched the rabbit and she cried. So, yeah, Ruggles can't be trusted when kids have food or stuffed toys!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
How about playing YouTube videos on your computer of kids birthday parties. At least he could get used to the noise.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
this is what I did with my boys it might help, little kids are always willing. Take her to petsmart or petco or some other pet friendly establishment on a weekend when kids are more likely to be in the stores. Ask the parents if it's okay if their children help you "train" Izzy. First, let Izzy see the child from a short distance and if/when she doesn't react, treat her. Then move a little closer and have the child offer a treat to Izzy. It may take a few tries/visits to accomplish this but eventually she will associate kids with treats and rubs and what bulldog doesn't want those?

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
this is what I did with my boys it might help, little kids are always willing. Take her to petsmart or petco or some other pet friendly establishment on a weekend when kids are more likely to be in the stores. Ask the parents if it's okay if their children help you "train" Izzy. First, let Izzy see the child from a short distance and if/when she doesn't react, treat her. Then move a little closer and have the child offer a treat to Izzy. It may take a few tries/visits to accomplish this but eventually she will associate kids with treats and rubs and what bulldog doesn't want those?

great idea too, thanks! at least inside the pet stores I am sure the parents will be more willing to help me out on this matter.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Ruggles isn't afraid of kids but he gets very excited when he sees kids, especially running, squealing kids. My grandkids live 6 and 8 hours away so I started taking Ruggles on walks in town where he would see kids daily. I would have him sit (for treats and he won't sit until he sees there is a treat) and then the kid(s) could pet him. He got used to that and we moved on to him standing (no treat) and being petted by the kids. All was well....until before Easter when a little girl was clutching a stuffed rabbit and my bad boy snatched the rabbit and she cried. So, yeah, Ruggles can't be trusted when kids have food or stuffed toys!

I like this idea!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.