Help Needed! Puppy refuses to walk

NewAccount2013

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
LeRoy
My beautiful 4 month old bully refuses to walk. He sits his butt down and gazes around. He loves it when people approach him (which is often, because he is so cute) and he will get up to walk over to socialize with a dog or a person but he never walks more than a few feet at a time. Itā€™s frustrating and makes potty training very hard. Sometimes, I lift him and transport him to another area, hoping he would walk, but he just sits down again.

Things Iā€™ve tried to no avail:

1. Circling around him. When I do that, he usually gets up and then sits back down again.
  2. Seducing him with a treat (that was a disaster, he now expects a treat and sits back down immediately after getting one)
  3. Turning my back to him and ignoring him until he gets up and walks to me
  4. Calling his name, enticing him and coaxing him with playful gestures and verbal encouragement etc (that gets some attention on the street but he never gets up)
  5. Pulling and tugging on the leash (did it once or twice, itā€™s awful, does not work at all and I feel terrible doing it)
6. Tried a harness, tried a collar, tried different leashes, we tried walking him off leash in a special off leash park. Nothing made a difference.

The breeders warned me that he might be this way but said that he will start walking better once he gets used to the same surroundings and areas. Iā€™ve had this puppy for about a month and I see no improvement at all in his walks. Sometimes, I spend 40 minutes standing outside, hoping he would get up and walk. We never make it more than 25 feet out of the door. I am at my wits end.

There is an adult bulldog in my apartment building and he is the exact same way. He is big and chubby so his owner has no choice but to stand around and wait and hope that he gets up. Rain, snow or shine, she is always standing around waiting for him to get up. I worry that my own bulldog would become the same way. I can pick him up and take him home now but what am I going to do when he gets bigger?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
oh boy, I have no advice for you. I hope someone comes along and helps as soon as possible.

I have never had that issue, but I am curious why the Breeder said it may happen. I really don't think it is a bully thing in general. Have you seen a vet about it. Maybe a joint issue that causes pain. Have his hips checked closely etc....

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I know exactly how you feel! Rumble will be so excited to have his harness and leash put on and then when we go outside there is no idea as to what may happen. Sometimes he walks for the first part and other times he sits down right away and I cannot even get him to move out of the driveway. We have tried similar things as you and have seen two different trainers about it because we have the same concern about him not getting enough exercise and gaining weight. Unfortunately, I am unable to offer you any advice but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We have tried everything from a squeaky toy in front of him to treats to ignoring him. For some reason, my husband has better luck with him than I do but he still has similar problems sometimes. I know in our situation it is neither him being tried or having a physical problem because as soon as we get home he will run around the house and/or backyard. For some reasons, some days, he just does not want to walk. Here is a picture of him sitting down in protest on one of our attempts. 20130311_185618.jpg20130206_190850.jpg

We have decided we will just keep trying but will never try it in a situation where we would not be able to get him back to the house safely. This means staying close to the house and since he weighs so much (47 pounds) it means I am unable to walk him by myself anymore because I will not be able to carry him home. Good luck and let me know if you find anything that works!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi our bullie Fergus is the same way he would come out of the house and sit and refuse to walk past the front yard. We ended up getting a red wagon IMG_0323.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0418.jpg He loves sitting inside and watch the world go by. He usually will sit for a while and then want to get out to explore. He tells us by standing up on the rails and crying. We take him out and let him walk until he refuses to move then put him back in the wagon. Now he he walks half way :clap2: (1 mile walk around a lake) we are hoping eventually not needing the wagon but he is getting big so we will end up dragging the wagon for a while :rolleyes:. We do take treat to reward him when he walks and give him lots of praise. When he wants back in the wagon he does tell us by pawing the wagon. Hope this helps. It is frustrating but dont give up. Fergus has found out he gets more attention from strangers in the wagon so he loves it.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Hi our bullie Fergus is the same way he would come out of the house and sit and refuse to walk past the front yard. We ended up getting a red wagon View attachment 40207View attachment 40208View attachment 40209 He loves sitting inside and watch the world go by. He usually will sit for a while and then want to get out to explore. He tells us by standing up on the rails and crying. We take him out and let him walk until he refuses to move then put him back in the wagon. Now he he walks half way :clap2: (1 mile walk around a lake) we are hoping eventually not needing the wagon but he is getting big so we will end up dragging the wagon for a while :rolleyes:. We do take treat to reward him when he walks and give him lots of praise. When he wants back in the wagon he does tell us by pawing the wagon. Hope this helps. It is frustrating but dont give up. Fergus has found out he gets more attention from strangers in the wagon so he loves it.

Where did you get that wagon from?? I want one but my husband says it will look silly. I think it is adorable!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Debo is just as stubborn! It must look funny because my neighbors crack up!

I've tried everything too. My trainer said to use the pinch collar, & snap it, & say lets go, & praise when he walks but I feel so bad using it that I don't.

The wagon is hilarious!

Sometimes I put Debo on the treadmill or skateboard for some exercise. I don't know what to do either!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster does this same thing to me, it is so frustrating and I've tried treats too. I literally used to pick him up and carry him to the end of the block and put him down and start to walk away and he would walk his way back home. I must have looked like a fool carrying him. I think it really is all getting used to the surroundings too but he's 11 months old and nothing has really changed. Whenever we go anywhere in the truck and I put him down he'll walk, it's just around our neighborhood that he has a hard time leaving home. When I have been able to get him to go for a good walk as soon as we come around the corner on to our street he knows it and makes a bee line for the house. We've been tempted to get him a wagon but I just cant see myself rolling him down the street. HAHA!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have never had this problem, my bullies stay on the move unless they are sleeping or looking out a window. I would recommend taking him to a vet and getting a thorough check up. At 4 months they should be curious and willing to explore at least their own backyard. Mine get hyper when they have to go to the bathroom and go looking in the yard for a place to go. From the sounds of it, your baby isn't willing to do that hence the reason I would recommend the check up. I too find it odd the breeder told you to expect this behavior; every bully puppy I have seen is moving around playing or tugging at something unless they are tired or sleeping. Good luck!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
It took my husband a while to get over the silliness and embarrassment but Fergus is so happy to be out and meeting new people and dogs. He just has an issue with leaving the front yard lol Now everyone in the neighborhood stops to say hi and pet him and we do get wierd looks but once they see its a bulldog in the wagon they understand :yes:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
[MENTION=7432]tiffykay06[/MENTION] we got the wagon at target Fergus loves it. At first he was scared but he got over it. We put a shower matt on the bottom for cushion and so it wouldn't be slippery.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I would find a neighbor with a dog and try walking them together. Keeping up with another dog is a good incentive.

I question why the breeder said he might refuse to walk. I'm assuming he has had a thorough vet check. I have had 6 Bulldogs and all of them were/are walkers!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
You can try shuffling your feet to draw Leroy's attention to your feet like it's a game and try to get him to follow you that way. I used to do that to Bacon is I wanted him to walk faster and it worked well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Bully's are infamous for not liking leashes and walks. They come around. We put a leash on Jake in the house and let him drag it around to get used to the feel. Then after a few days, we let him outside with it on him and let him continue to get used to the feel. After a couple weeks, it was like normal to him.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Moe learned from watching his older sister (Shih Tzu)... we would take him in the wagon until all his shot series were done, and he couldn't wait to get down and walk with his sis... when he was finally able to, he just followed her lead.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.