URGENT!!! Meatball Still Biting!!!!!

italiankidd94

Apr 3, 2013
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
My English Bulldog Meatball is only 3 months old, but he bites like crazy. I try and play with him but all he does is bite my hands, pants, feet, socks etc. I have tried screaming "ouch" when he bites and that doesn't work, I have tried holding his mouth closed for a couple of seconds and telling him "no bite", and I have also bought him a bunch of chew toys and bones to gnaw on so he doesn't bite me. However, none of this works and he just goes back to biting me. Sometimes I even have to put him in his crate because he gets extremely wild and bites to the point where it hurts. What can I do to stop this behavior???

Thanks,
Nick

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
There are TONS of posts on this very subject on this site! Meatball is at his peak of this behavior! You have to be firm, consistent, and find what works! bogeys biting was so bad that I looked like I had some horrible disease on my arms and legs from all the " shark bites" ! I was assured by many of the wise members here that the biting will go away before I do! I wasn't so sure! I had never had a puppy that nipped so much. We tried EVERYTHING: water bottle spray( he loved that!), redirection with a toy- worked only sometimes. Submitting him- putting him down on his back or side while you gently hold his neck( like a mama dog would correct) well this made him WORSE! Finally we realized that if he could not be redirected after 2 attempts, it was time for "jail". We would put him in the crate and he was not let out if he whined or cried. When he calmed down, he was let out and for the. Most part, he was a different dog after being paroled. I am talking only a few minutes of pokey time. We had a little success with coins in a can that you shake when they bite, but the surprise of the noise only lasted a day, and then he ignored it. He is not afraid of loud noises. The crating has worked the best. Also, these guys tire quickly and I noticed the biting got worse when he was tired. I would put him in the crate for a nap several times a day. He is a baby and needs routine and rest. Bogey is now 6 months and I will still be mouthy but no where near what he was like at 3 months! He is very gentle and sweet for the most part, but goes into " psycho puppy mode" where he runs, jumps, nips and seems out of control, about once a day, but he easily redirects now. We also bought an xpen- a wire gate that we can hook onto the crate so he can have a bigger space to move around if we are gone more than a couple of hours. We use that to block him from us if he is being a PITA- we sometimes put it up in front of the couch so he can't get up if we are sitting and he won't behave. He HATES not being with us! Now all I have to do is out my hand on the gate and his bad behavior stops. These dogs are very mouthy- it's in their DNA. Be firm, never aggressive, and give him lots of praise and treats for good behavior! Search the threads on here. You will find lots of posts, and some good advice! Good luck! Meatball is just adorabull!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Pretty much what [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] said. Just remember this is normal for a puppy, so have lots of patience.

One thing that worked for us is "Bitter Apple". We spray it on our hands, feet, bottom of pants etc. pretty much anywhere we don't want him to bite/chew on. You can get it at any pet store. There's also other brands, so if the Bitter Apple doesn't work, take him into any Petco (provided he's had all this shots), and try different ones until you find one that works.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I think its part of being a puppy and they will out grow it.Tell him when he bites to hard and dont let it get out of hand,
but all puppies do that. My Gunny was a biter when he was young and I thought this dog is crazy, but he out grew it and was one of the kindest and loving bullys you could ever meet.

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I am experiencing the exact same problem with my puppy of the same age. It is a nightmare. She bites me so hard that she draws blood and I've read the previous posts on this topic and tried EVERYTHING. My hands and arms are cut up and I'm embarrassed to have people over. My only hope is for her to grow out of this. Everyone says they do, but there seems to be no end in sight and I am beyond frustrated. It's a struggle to remain calm and patient.

It is a small comfort to know that it's not just MY puppy.

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Henry is also biting like crazy right now, as his teeth are coming in. This past week we brought him back to the doctor for a follow up visit for his eyes and the doc told us to go pick up a "Kong Squeezz Stick" and use it to redirect him until this phase passes. OMG was he right!! It works! It's been 4 days so far of pure Heaven, not having him bite on us, lol! We got the large size. It also comes in different colors, but this is what it looks like:

View attachment 40270[h=1][/h]

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Most English Bulldog puppies go through this SharkBite stage. It is part of their natural development, and the one relevant fact I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Meatball is probably teething. If you can do it without losing a finger, check to see if any of his little baby teeth (the ones that are so stinkin' sharp!) have fallen out.

His instinct is to chew, and that is what makes his teeth and gums feel a little better. In addition to all of the above, I recommend keeping him supplied with hard, cold, frozen things to chew also. Freeze a nylabone or similar toy, give him a block of frozen broth, the possibilities are endless as long as you keep an eye out on what choking hazards or allergens. :)

Best wishes and prayers! You will survive this puppy phase, we all have. It just seems never-ending!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION] :2thumbs:

Teething children cry and fling themselves around with the frustration of the pain. See how much better teething puppy is to teething baby? LOL

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
You can also try frozen wash cloths. Fold them up get them wet and stick them in the freezer. Rotate the frozen and the non frozen. Very soft on the gums if in fact it is teething.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
It is all puppies, I too had this problem with Ftse and I thought it would never end but thankfully it does.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.