Help Needed! 11 month old male ebd

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone, I- at the recomendation of the breeder where I purchased my bulldog first had him in a harness. He was small then but at times he would sit in the grass and not want to move... I went to something called the EZ training harness and I couldn't get that to help me get him to walk with me, also > ( gets sooo emotional when he see's other people or dogs) AND wants to walk way ahead of me when he is excited as well. I sent away for this other thing. that went around his belly and attached to a collar but no help either. I ended up using a martingale collar with a 6 foot leash and at times he will walk with me but ofcourse this smelling the grass. marking every 5 steps can be fustrateing.. I have heard take him to class's and my first thought is what happens if the trainer is one of those certified in 2 weeks kids that really doesnt have that much experience and in the end tells me something like oo its because he is a bulldog and they can be extremely stubborn. I can take him to 6- 1 hour class's for $165.00 where my vet is or she could come here for an hour at $100.00. I KNOW my puppy will NOT act the same with other people or when other dogs are present. I have had friends over and if we went outdoors he will walk with the new person because he is stimulated by this new person. Yesterday there was this couple with a dog I had never seen here before and Buddy was wanting to play with this dog and straining his collar and choking himself and vomited.. I had to sit in the grass with him because I didn't want him to hurt himself. I am really patient with him and let him sniff and mark but when it is time to go or another dog ( biggest problem) comes by he just becomes SOO excited. He is 11 months and 55 lbs and really is strong.. If I wasn't a man I doubt a woman could handle him. Any advice here will be truly appreciated... Thanks

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
fee your pain, Ftse is a puller and I myself can not hold im as he pulls me so hubby walks him I am sure help will be along rea soon with some advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like Buddy needs some socialization.... has he been to puppy classes? I think the 6 wk class will help you with this. It allows the pup to interact with other dogs/people in a controlled environment and the trainer will help you with the walking as well.
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Welcome to you and Buddy! We had a challenging time with Guinness and walking as well last summer. He is now one and things have gotten much better-dare I say even pleasant MOST days although we still have a few times here and there that Guinness tests the water to see who is really in charge! Believe it or not, last year neighbors would slow down their cars and say, "I just want to see him walk. Do you think he ever will?" I'm sure we provided a lot of entertainment for the 'hood!

We use a harness where the lease Attaches right in the middle of his front legs/chest area. Thereis no pressure on his throat. I also shorten up his leash to 2-3 feet so he is right next to me. On days when we are having good walks he gets the whole leash. I Los shorten him up making him right next to me when others are approaching, until all is good w the other dog. We also used a Lickety stick for walks...basically it's smelly and yummy for them, comes in a roll on deodorant looking container but easy to use on a walk.

Also...we started feeding AFTER walks so he associated a walk w food after...good luck & don't give up!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks and no, I won't give up... I love him so much and now have started feeding him AFTER we eat. going thru doorways first ect ( something I read online) I think I am going to take him to training class's ( for what its worth) Thanks everyone

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome to you and Buddy! We had a challenging time with Guinness and walking as well last summer. He is now one and things have gotten much better-dare I say even pleasant MOST days although we still have a few times here and there that Guinness tests the water to see who is really in charge! Believe it or not, last year neighbors would slow down their cars and say, "I just want to see him walk. Do you think he ever will?" I'm sure we provided a lot of entertainment for the 'hood!

We use a harness where the lease Attaches right in the middle of his front legs/chest area. Thereis no pressure on his throat. I also shorten up his leash to 2-3 feet so he is right next to me. On days when we are having good walks he gets the whole leash. I Los shorten him up making him right next to me when others are approaching, until all is good w the other dog. We also used a Lickety stick for walks...basically it's smelly and yummy for them, comes in a roll on deodorant looking container but easy to use on a walk.

Also...we started feeding AFTER walks so he associated a walk w food after...good luck & don't give up!

Great post. You gotta adapt to find what works for you. I also tried those Lickity Sticks - Bo loved it, Bea was nonplussed. She likes her treats to crunch!
[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION] - Bo used to make himself barf too and for a short time, I was using the pinch collar on him during that time as he truly had NO LIMITS and it was the only thing that worked. Now he's a bit more mature -- has an established history of looking to me for direction -- and then sometimes actually DOING IT LOL-- but still; the closer you get to the target, the harder it is for the dog to control themselves. The same thing occurs when Bo sees a reflective windchime. There are two in my neighborhood and he knows where they are. He's gotta be pretty damn tired to pass them uneventfully.

What's resolved things for us in the meeting thing (currently anyway - I adapt as I go) is this; When Bo is excited to meet and is pulling toward another dog/human/whatever, I stop. I leave some space between me and the thing he wants to meet/see and I WAIT until he's calm before I go any further. Sometimes, we remain some feet away from the target for a long long time before he gets to see/meet whatever it is. Most often this is people and their dogs in my neighborhood. Sometimes he never gets to get up close and personal with "the target". If he's being a maniac, he's not earned the privilege, in my books. (Besides being completely over excited, he used to like to put his head over the new dogs shoulder -- total dominance move -- and I disagreed with that behavior enough times that he finally stopped doing that.Ugh.)

Remember, if your dog doesn't mess up, you can't correct him/her. Use mistakes as opportunities to learn.

I said this to a woman at our local off leash area and she looked at me like I had five heads. You see, her miniature Pomeranian, Hoyt, started acting like prey -- running around in circles, barking at biting at Bo and Bea. They responded and treated him like the little prey he was and pinned him. Hoyt was being "unbalanced". If my dogs were aggressive, they would have killed Hoyt - and thank god that didn't happen. The lesson for me? Bea's prey drive is incredible and Bo will jump in on whatever shenanigans Bea's up for. I should have kept her on the leash with Hoyt running around like a nut in the enclosure. She's not balanced enough to deal with that. I could have had more control with the leash and disagreed with any "going after Hoyt" behavior. Bo on his own is pretty good with little yappy dogs, but Bo and Bea are a pack and act like one when there's an "us against them" scenario. Both Bea and Bo got corrections for using Hoyt as a prey object. Bo got it -- Bea took a longgggg time to calm down. Lesson (for me) learned and I will take more precautions should we be allowed to hang out with Hoyt again.

bodebull

Mar 27, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bode
Hi hero4u, when we first got our fella ,he didn't want to walk on leash either. I always had handful of kibble and would walk away, then let him come to me and of course the FOOD! We went to 2 sessions of classes (beginner and intermediate) he loved them. He did everything he was supposed to but there were days he just laid on the floor for the full hour. However we and trainer noticed changes in him. It also helped that she loved him and called him Bode-wrinkles! We actually went and watched a class or two before we signed up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.