Bully Constant Humping/Licking after Spay of Shih-Tzu

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Toby (english bulldog) has attempted humping Katie (shih-tzu) in the past but not often. She was in heat maybe a month ago and that is when it got bad. He will be 1 yr old this month and was fixed about 4-5 months ago. Katie is 8 months and was fixed 1 1/2 weeks ago. We kept them apart for the most part (one crated at a time) for the first 5-7 days and then they were out and about together without much issues with humping. We then took her yesterday to the groomer. She was shaved (a lot of matting) and they put mink oil on her (at least they said they did). When she got home Toby went nuts licking everything he could non-stop. I have tried the shush/touch technique and it works for a very short time (3 minutes maybe). They cannot be out together for more than a minute before he tries to hump her. I am not sure why it is so bad all of a sudden except for the obvious. Is there a way to curb this quickly or are we stuck with this for awhile? They sleep with their crates up against each other. I figured that might help since he could smell her up close and maybe chill but that didn't work this morning when they greeted each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, when he is calm he does as requested. When he is excited he here's nothing and completely ignores us.

Thanks,

Randy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I cannot think if any good advice to give but noticed no replies so going to :bump: this thread :2thumbs: I hope someone has some advice for you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guess would be the 'new' scent is getting to him in some way... does she have a perfume seem to her? It may settle down once that wears off... I am boggled and can not think of anything that would cause that behavior.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Get a spray bottle. Put some water in it. Put it on "JET" setting. When he humps her, disagree with the behavior (ACK! or whatever your sound is) and if he doesn't immediate stop, blast him. You don't want THIS to become a habit! Mink oil or no mink oil.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
I haven't tried the water but I resorted to the maneuver of putting him on his side until he calms. That was a temporary fix. I then tried the timeout in his crate, same thing, temporary. I then tried the long leash on him so that I could pull the leash and say no but that was also temporary. I like the water idea since it is similar to the leash in the fact that I can access him from a distance the moment he does it.

A question I have though. He licks her like food, her ears, face, body, etc. like he is starving. I first would say no to that but then thought what I really don't want is him humping. I am a bit confused on what should not be accepted. I would think the licking because that increases the excitement and then leads to the attempted humps. I also am going to try and bathe her today.

I also noticed that when I let them stay together supervised (to see if she would let him know she didn't want him to do that) she would stand on his side or in front with her paws on him and growl, bite his ears etc. Then when he tried to go under and lick she would back up while still having her paws on his face. Then it seemed as if she was trying to hump him while on 2 legs from the side. She has humped him while he was laying down before she was spayed but I considered that because she was in heat.

Could they actually think she is a different dog? She looks totally different and smells different (I assume).

Thanks for the replies.

Members online

No members online now.